Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i run putty ssh via linux command line?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can i run putty ssh via linux command line?

ObadaObada Member
edited August 2017 in General

Hello all,
I use windows to connect to my linux server#1 via putty and i need to connect to linux server#2 via putty but from linux server#1 which i connected from windows.

It is possible?

If yes how?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Yes.

Thanked by 1Obada
  • WSSWSS Member

It's called ssh. Don't let that get out, though, or our support tickets would drop through the floor.

Thanked by 3AuroraZ Chronic dwtbf
  • I think all distros (or close to it) have the ssh client installed by default. It's literally "ssh user@ip"

Use "-p ######" if you need to set the port number (hopefully you do).

@Obada said:
    Hello all,
    I use windows to connect to my linux server#1 via putty and i need to connect to linux server#2 via putty but from linux server#1 which i connected from windows.

It is possible?

If yes how?

Thanks in advance.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited August 2017

Yes. It's possible to run a graphic instance of PUTTY on server#1 and have display forwarded to your PC.

On your PC you'll need to setup PuTTY with SSH and X11 forwarding (many tutorials on Google )

Then on your server#1 you'll need to install PuTTY for Linux. (Here's a tut https://blog.numato.com/how-to-install-putty-on-linux/ ).

Then just run Xterm (a command line emulator) on server#1 having it's display forwarded to your PC.
    From that command line prompt you can run your remote graphic instance of PuTTY to SSH into server#2

However not sure why you need such a clumsy solution or what you wish to achieve. We might be able to offer lighter ways if we knew..
    (Is that because you just need a specific feature of PuTTY to use from server#1? ?)

• @NanoG6 said:

lol, you dont like SSH?

• @qtwrk said:
    lol, you dont like SSH?

nah, telnet FTW!