Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Server or similar options
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Server or similar options

martip07martip07 Member

Hi guys:

I need help about email service because I have to manage email accounts (10 - 20) so:

• What will be good set it up in a vps/dedi or work with any SaaS.

• Wich one is more cheap?

• Recomendations about set it up (Mail Server).

• Recomendations about SaaS - Mail.

Comments

• NameStuffNameStuff Member
    edited July 2013

yandex.ru - it's free, can setup mailboxes as many as you wanted

zoho.com - it's free for up to 5 mailboxes

live domains - it's free for up to 200 mailboxes

inbox.com - it's free for up to 500 mailboxes

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

http://www.iredmail.org

Might as well have fun with it.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited July 2013

@martip07 it depends on your storage requirements. If you're pushing accounts that have 50+ gigs forget freebies.

If not and it's a company you work for jump on board. If it's a client and they have any pattern of significant growth or storage needs consider setting up a mail server for them. You can usually save them money and still pocket some for yourself. Especially if their storage needs are high. I would stay away from Zoho, they have browser compatibility problems. I have versions of Chrome /webkit and other mobile browsers that will as of today even still not work properly with their UI. I wouldn't touch a foreign ccTLD for email service with a ten foot pole. Try considering Outlook.com or Google premium services. What I like about setting up my own mail server is the ability to choose and manage your MTA and MDA. I still stand by Ip reputation as one of the most important factors in any web business whatsoever. You may think you're protected with a larger company but that is not the case. What may seem like a blanket of protection and reputation can turn on you depending on the type of mail you send. And so I also enjoy being able to setup and manage my own FBL and potential RBL issues as they arise. Your average laymen doesn't understand the amount of revenue generated from what some may construe as spam, but what is really just legitimate and properly managed advertising and marketing mail. Probably more I am missing but this should help a little.

If you find reason enough to setup yourself And you want something Cpanel friendly for the future consider Exim + Dovecot /Imap and Pop with an obvious Maildir format, virtual accounts can be set using plain text to cut down on your hassle. And I really recommend going with an older release of Dovecot. I don't like how it's changed with newer version they're chasing other software configurations in an attempt to provide a more standard format. VPS can certainly do the job you're looking for, Just keep on top of that Ip reputation and don't let some one sell you short on it.

Thanked by 1martip07
  • dnwkdnwk Member
    edited July 2013

I use zarafa for my email server with Z-Push ActiveSync support.
    You probably need good memory and CPU. Zarafa put every email in a MySQL database.

Previous use Live Custom Domain/outlook.com They have pretty decent service with push mail support.

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

That also depends on your client. Keep in mind that you might run into legal problems when providing an EU client space or email-providers from the US (like outlook.com or google) because of the location of data and files.

Thanked by 1martip07
  • Ok, first of all storage is not a problem.

I will need to access to clients users to check if they are using their accounts for illegal and no-bussiness related mails.

Google Apps is not an option.

• wdqwdq Member

I've been messing around with Atmail for a few weeks. They have a KVM template that works quite well.

• @wdq said:
    I've been messing around with Atmail for a few weeks. They have a KVM template that works quite well.

Let me guess that KVM Template is not free right?

• wdqwdq Member

@martip07 said:
    Let me guess that KVM Template is not free right?

Just sign up for a free trial and you can download it.

• @wdq said:
    Just sign up for a free trial and you can download it.

True they have an image for KVM and VMWare .......... looks good gonna try it.

BTW Did you try their Cloud service?

• wdqwdq Member

@martip07 I haven't tried their hosted cloud service. My main reason for going with Atmail is so that I can host it myself

Thanked by 1martip07
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

postfix + dovecot + amavisd-new/spamassassin(/clamav) + roundcube

Thanked by 1ska
  • jptechjptech Member

I, personally, run a web server, SQL server, and a mail server off of a 512mb VPS. My email setup is postfix for the MTA and courier for IMAP with spamassassin shifting through the spam. I also have a SQL database set up which manages domains, users, and alliases (hosts email for multiple domains). Roundcube works well for webmail access, and I would definitely recommend it.

Really, you have a few options:

VPS + MTA: Postfix, Exim + IMAP/POP: Courier, Dovecot + Spamassassin/Amavisd/ClamAV/etc. + Roundcube

VPS + iRedMail (I've not used it personally)

SaaS hosted Mail

• sc754sc754 Member

If you want a ready setup mail server and webmail I'd recommend Kloxo for a VPS or similar. Much easier than configuring it yourself!

@sc754 said:
    If you want a ready setup mail server and webmail I'd recommend Kloxo for a VPS or similar. Much easier than configuring it yourself!

Not really, just follow a tutorial, you don't even have to think then just copy+paste.

• Exim + Dspam for incoming.
    Amazon SES/PostMarkApp for outgoing.
    I suppose that's quite affordable, easy to install and secure enough.

Thanked by 1martip07
  • Sorry for the newbie doubt but...
    why to pay to Atmail?
    It looks like very expensive. If not, what are the features that ONLY it has?

Are the others options paid, too? Or we can use FREE options?

What is the difference of the use of KLOXO to the use of the other options?

Where the "mandrillapp com" competes with all these options?

I am a bit confused because I imagined that when you try to setup an email server by yourself you need to be sure it will continue CLEAN (not in black list) and being received by hotmail, for example.

Tks!

@DragonDF said:

My concern with kloxo in this instance would be that the reason someone is using it to achieve a mail server is because they do not know how to do it themselves, which would then lead me to be concerned about their ability and willingness to learn how to properly secure the excessive number of public facing services that they will have installed in the process.

• @jarland
    So, in your opinion, Kloxo is not safe.
    Or I understood it wrong? Maybe it is a "easy-way" for people who do not know how to setup an email server.

What about the DELIVER to Hotmail?
    What is the advantage to use my "own email server" if the emails will not arrive in INBOX?

:)

@DragonDF said:
    What about the DELIVER to Hotmail?
    What is the advantage to use my "own email server" if the emails will not arrive in INBOX?

You can send to and receive from hotmail. You just need correct rDNS and proper SPF record.

• wdqwdq Member

This may come in handy if you're looking to have your emails arrive everywhere.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2010/04/so-youd-like-to-send-some-email-through-code.html

• SpiritSpirit Member

@DragonDF said:

With kloxo you don't get just email accounts interface but full webhosting control panel with all needed and non needed features and services (read: http://lxcenter.org/software/kloxo). If you need more than just email setup from your vps it could make your life easier but for email solely it's overkill.
    Also if you go this route I suggest you to use kloxo-MR. That's improved and in many aspects updated fork of old kloxo.

• sc754sc754 Member

@Spirit said:

It's not really overkill if you tweak it. After all you can shutdown the webserver, dns or anything you want by default. I think the panel only uses 20mb ram with everything shut off. So with just a mail server and the panel running its still going to be very low.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

@sc754 and now we're back to comment from @jarland above. If you need kloxo solely to help you to run mail service there's a very little chance that you have ability to tweak and properly secure all the rest.
    I like kloxo but once I have it installed there's a lot more to care for than just mail service.

• @jarland
    In the company I work we are having BIG problems not only in HOTMAIL but in almost ALL providers. They reject our emails from our company's domain (spamhaus or something like that). And I am talking about a BIG COMPANY. Sometimes I need to send by my GMAIL account to a client receive the message (ridiculous, yes I know).

"You just need correct rDNS and proper SPF record."
    I need to study I lot, you mean. heheehh. :)

@wdq
    Thank you. I will take a read.

@Spirit
    Thank you!
    I installed Kloxo in some VPS I bought in the past.
    Sure, as I am not an expert, I had problems with it, too.
    So, I have a bit experience with it.

What is possible to do to solve the problem the company is having at this moment (no email arrives to the clients - or almost all them)?
    What can we do when we use an IP that is in Blacklist and you can not change it?
    Is there a way to ask the "blacklist owners" to remove the domain from the list?

Thank you!
    :)

• jptechjptech Member

rDNS = reverse DNS

Many email servers (e.g. AOL, Comcast, etc.) will check for rDNS. As I understand it, rDNS works backwards from typical DNS in that you use the IP address to look up the domain name. I had to open a support ticket with my VPS in order to configure the rDNS, and before I did that, some servers would reject email sent from my server.

Get DKIM + SPF + rDNS set, then the only thing you need to worry about it Hotmail silently failing to deliver your messages.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Exim + Dspam for incoming.
    Amazon SES/PostMarkApp for outgoing.
    I suppose that's quite affordable, easy to install and secure enough.

PostMarkApp and Amazon SES, I checked them but still dont understand how they work.

I have to make an app using their API or how so?

• @martip07 said:
    I have to make an app using their API or how so?

In short: they work like usual external SMTP servers. You set up those once and use. SES is most cost-efficient of them all.