Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customer needs research / dedicated server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Customer needs research / dedicated server.

IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

iKoula offers a lot of dedicated servers either physical server or VMs.

We'd like our physical servers to be close to ideal config, to meet customer needs.

In order to accomplish that could you give us use case of your servers and for each exemple what's the most important : is it RAM, disk space or cpu ?

Do you often switch from one server to another ? is it a question of money or is it for the benefit of new technologies ?

Comments

• ehabehab Member

like you said, it is all about money... i mean for example i invest +x into support or quality or latency etc ... then comes how the provider keep the consumers "us" loyal and always coming back.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @ikoula Man, please upgrade your default bandwidth.

• From your site I'd say it's your default bandwidth that's probably the biggest turn off other than the setup fees. Even if you had it in a tiered stage so 100mbit for your cheapo servers then 200, 500 and 1gbit. I'd look offering more SSD based servers and SSD+HDD combos. Plus other locations always helps but a stable network is far better.

• mkshmksh Member

The cheap servers almost all have just a single disk. I'd take 2x500GB over 1x1TB any day.

Thanked by 1steny
  • What i wold really like to see are some storage presets which can be selected without changing server price. Something like 1 big hdd/2 small hdd/1 ssd/2 small ssd, and for higher-end servers may be even some hybrid configs.
    Because IMO storage is both very important (often more important then cpu/ram) and very task-specific, so finding server with storage appropriate for certain task is often hard. It would be really nice to be able to choose server itself and then choose storage for it.

And yes, i understand that it is possible to change storage configuration on some offers, but it is usually expensive enough to be useless, in most cases finding another offer/server is better choice.

• I think the marketplace is severely lacking an affordable 2x250GB SSD 16GB 250Mbps unmetered dedicated server.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I think the marketplace is severely lacking an affordable 4x6TB SAS + 240GB SSD 32GB 1Gbps unmetered server.

• I think the marketplace is severely lacking an affordable 4x6TB SAS + 240GB SSD 32GB 1Gbps unmetered server.

$7, my final offer.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Nekki said:
    I think the marketplace is severely lacking an affordable 4x6TB SAS + 240GB SSD 32GB 1Gbps unmetered server.

I too would like something along those lines for plex boxes. For more general usage I would like some ssd + some hdd, to make a poor man's raid-1 through rsync backups, while maintaining the snappiness of an ssd without driving the cost too high.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

teamacc said: I too would like something along those lines for plex boxes.

I know, right? With that config, I could literally cancel everything else, save for my KS-3C's.

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited August 2017

I’d prefer some more SSD or RAM. GPU’s are nice too. But they are mostly abused for mining.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the comments guys really appreciated.

• sinsin Member
    edited August 2017

Not dedicated but It would be awesome if you at least offered 250Mbps on your virtual servers/cloud offerings, would certainly try Ikoula out then.

• @Nekki said:

The smart money would just buy those 4x6TB drives and host them in the basement?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ManofServer said:

@Nekki said:

The smart money would just buy those 4x6TB drives and host them in the basement?

Does your basement have 1Gbps upload?

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:
    Does your basement have 1Gbps upload?

Keep in mind that you're on LET, @Nekki. I'm reminded of an ancient X-Files episode where a dumpy trailer had a T1 (which was amazing for the time).

• @WSS Hey you!!! Yeah you git away from me traeler!!!! We dun't lik yer kind around her.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ oh shit is this your swamp!? I di't know!

• Unless you want to be bloody boring and hardly distinguishable from the competition, you should offer a "lego" system, i.e. cpu, ram, disk (type (ssh, hdd, raided hdd, and maybe nvm) and size), bandwith and traffic to be picked (within feasible limits) at customers liking/needs.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • WSSWSS Member

When I wake up in the middle of the night- half hungover, holding my head in one hand, and the wall in the other- I step on a LEGO and I SCREAM FOR BLOODY LIFE!

Kids are a cancer, and offering substrata builds aren't much better.

• I want my server to look like the DeathStar!!!!

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    I want my server to look like the DeathStar!!!!

Need more AMD these days.

• imokimok Member

I'm always looking for servers with at least 2 drives (soft RAID).

• Just chiming in to echo a few of the points above

1. Port speeds of more than 250mbps
    2. Multi-disk configs are important for dedis
    3. SSD cached configs doesn't hurt

Thanks for doing some market research to understand the market better! Godspeed.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

1 - Upgrade the offers from 100mbps to 1gbps. Flat rate bw allocation.
    2 - Automate its setup. Instant provision.
    3 - Get us a superb offer.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

100Mbps is really rough these days. I put up with it for unmetered VPS offers and a dirt cheap Kimsufi or two, The difference between 100Mbps and 200+ is very noticeable to me. Give me metered bandwidth at a higher port speed if possible.

Prefer dual disks, or a single large one (2TB+) if it'll keep costs down.

Sub-35 Euro/mo is ideal. Cheap-ish add-on IPs are nice to have ($1/mo or so).

• Sorry guys, this is no bling, bling wish and you'll get. A provider is a company and must make money.

You can get 1 Gb almost everywhere. You can even get 10 Gb at some places. It's just that that costs money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the option to get 1 Gb (or even more). That's among the reason why I suggested that providers go away from the stupid boring "pick one out of 3 or 7 products", maybe with some very limited upgrade options and start to offer a "lego" system (where i.a. the options 100, 250, 500 Mb and 1 or more Gb were available).

I'm no provider and so I may be wrong but from what I see the reason (or at least a major one) is that the hole hosting industry is rotten because there are loads of incompetent players who can only do simple whcms panel stuff.

From what I know, Ikoula is not a small me-too shitbox but a company with some know-how and resources, hence I made my suggestion to them (not holding my breath, though).

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

caracal said: Thanks for doing some market research to understand the market better! Godspeed.

Np it is also in our interest to offer services that will please our customers.

Thanked by 1sin