Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a more permissible OpenVZ VPS Host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a more permissible OpenVZ VPS Host

DPCDPC Member
edited March 2018 in Requests

I've tried 3 providers now and I tend to halted by something called MaxMind (which is a stupid system in my opinion). Right after filling in my details and choosing Ghana as my country (even without entering my Credit Card information... BOOM!!!... Fraud Alert!!... the fuck... this is all new to me and has happened to me just yesterday with HostUS, ****, and Owned Networks. Seriously speaking, there has to be something wrong with these providers if they think MaxMind is doing anything extraordinary aside blocking countries known for Internet Fraud, I mean its as simple as removing such countries from your list... oh and I'm not going to send you scans of my government-issued documents just to buy a freaking server. I mean imagine all the potential clients who have probably been turned away as a results a similar incident.

So here I am looking for an OpenVZ server with 1GB+ RAM, 1-4 cores, 20GB+ Storage, 1Gbps Port, and 1TB+ Bandwidth for under $20/year.

And I'll be paying with a prepaid Visa debit card (as we don't do credit card in my country). Also I'm not doing that whole long-winded Bitcoin thing, which will cost me more in the end. Oh and Paypal isn't available here too.

Comments

• Politely ask the providers if you can pay with a non-chargebackable payment method (like bitcoins) to bypass MaxMind checks

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited August 2017
    > 2 vCPU Cores
    > 1GB Ram
    > 1GB vSWAP
    > 25GB Disk
    > 600 GB Bandwidth
    > 1 x IPv4
    > 1 x /64 IPv6 Subnet

Link: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
    Code: VBVAD051QC

This is the best you can find. Do you really that much under $20?

• nicenice Member

Take a look at our services https://nicevps.net
    Offering LXC containers similar to OpenVZ

• Most hosts use such systems to try and wipe out fraudulent orders, yes certainly in some cases the system is wrong and usually a manual review will result in your order being accepted... In any of your cases have you contacted the providers regarding the order being marked as fraud?

• Yeah like why even offer the country to choose from if it's just going to be blocked

• DPCDPC Member
    edited August 2017

@WSCallum @sanvit I did open a ticket as they instructed and the reply was to submit scanned government-issued documents proving my identity. Imagine that! if I had submitted my credit card information at least it would have made sense to me, but I hadn't reach that part of the whole setup process.

• edited March 2018

@DPC said:
    I've tried 3 providers now and I tend to halted by something called MaxMind (which is a stupid system in my opinion). Right after filling in my details and choosing Ghana as my country (even without entering my Credit Card information... BOOM!!!... Fraud Alert!!... the fuck... this is all new to me and has happened to me just yesterday with HostUS, ****, and Owned Networks. Seriously speaking, there has to be something wrong with these providers if they think MaxMind is doing anything extraordinary aside blocking countries known for Internet Fraud, I mean its as simple as removing such countries from your list... oh and I'm not going to send you scans of my government-issued documents just to buy a freaking server. I mean imagine all the potential clients who have probably been turned away as a results a similar incident.

So here I am looking for an OpenVZ server with 1GB+ RAM, 1-4 cores, 20GB+ Storage, 1Gbps Port, and 1TB+ Bandwidth for under $20/year.

Let me explain it from the providers side.

If they start taking customers from those countries that you mention, then they run the risk of getting more chargebacks than usual.

A chargeback is not a simple "I want my money back" situation for the provider.

What a chargeback is essentially:

• Pay a chargeback fee by the provider
    • Increase their charge back rate, which puts in risk their merchant account
    • Lose the opportunity cost of providing their VPS to a paying customer
    • Give free VPS to the customer who just chargedbacked for FREE!

A chargeback fee from a $20 transaction cost more in fees than your $20 dollars.

So no provider is going to provide you with a VPS if you come from a country with high fraud rate. Extremely high risk with low reward.

Thanked by 3gestiondbi Pwner mikec
  • DPCDPC Member

@IAlwaysBeCoding And how exactly is providing those scanned passport & the rest of the documents they requested gonna solve the chargeback issue you beautifully elaborated?

• IAlwaysBeCoding said: So no provider is going to provide you with a VPS if you come from a country with high fraud rate. Extremely high risk with low reward.

As discriminatory as it is, and even I myself come from a country that is blocked by many providers, I think this is an acceptable policy more often than not. However, I never understand why requesting gov-issued documents is a good idea. Especially for real fraudsters, faking documents is child's play.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@DPC said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding And how exactly is providing those scanned passport & the rest of the documents they requested gonna solve the chargeback issue you beautifully elaborated?

1. They're verifying that the person that is opening the account and service are who they say they are (i.e. their card isn't stolen, etc.).
    2. 99.99% of scammers won't go through the trouble of submitting these details so they're weeding out the serious users from the scammers.

I'm not advocating that you should send your personal documents to any provider, however. If I were in your position, I would be very wary of whom I sent these details to. I would only consider doing to if it were a large provider that I had confidence in that they wouldn't "lose" my documents from a breach or other means.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @MasonR said:
    1. They're verifying that the person that is opening the account and service are who they say they are (i.e. their card isn't stolen, etc.).
    2. 99.99% of scammers won't go through the trouble of submitting these details so they're weeding out the serious users from the scammers.

1. When someone steals a card from other people's pocket, 99.99% of cases they won't buy a VPS, especially not a low-end one. Chargeback happens on stolen card number and security code, and simply a scan of the credit card should be sufficient to prove you're the owner.
    2. Yes, that weeds out some kids. Still, serious scammers could easily fake whatever documents you want, and fool any inspections with flying colours.
  • @DPC said:
    @WSCallum @sanvit I did open a ticket as they instructed and the reply was to submit scanned government-issued documents proving my identity. Imagine that! if I had submitted my credit card information at least it would have made sense to me, but I hadn't reach that part of the whole setup process.

Ask the provider if you can pay with bitcoin and bypass verification.

• You'd be surprised at how many people start dumping personal ID documents (national ID cards, passports, etc) into verification tickets when we've absolutely never asked for them in any way or form.

I also got berated last week by some Indian guy who failed verification then got bent out of shape that we didn't ask him for his ID card.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @DPC said:

Don't feel bad, sometimes I even get rejected when I provide them my government issued ID. They probably don't like me after seeing my identification, and see something sketchy and refuse to provide me service.

• There is always an option to remove all important numbers from scanned documents. In this case even if they become publicly available they will only provide full name and photo. And in my experience most providers will be fine with it....

• @Gamma17

When providing photo ID, I tend to put a huge watermark on top, with the provider's name. Works great for shaming the provider if it leaks, and protects me from someone else using my identity.

Thanked by 1priest
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

DPC said: oh and I'm not going to send you scans of my government-issued documents just to buy a freaking server

In that case i would NEVER; in any case deliver a server order from Ghana.

You are MASSIVELY underestimating all the scam and fraud happening from your country. There is an entire Vice documentary about it even...

DPC said: And I'll be paying with a prepaid Visa debit card (as we don't do credit card in my country).

It is not visible if credit or prepaid to most merchant account users. For all we know you come along with an IP in Ghana and eg. a US issued VISA card (like from Walmart) and that will get you marked as fraud.

DPC said: I mean imagine all the potential clients who have probably been turned away as a results a similar incident.

Not many. Internet usage, legitimate one, in this countries is extremely low, and legitimate purchases abroad are even less.

I had not a single legit order from your entire region in years (Ghana, Nigeria, Gambia, Liberia, Ivory coast... always spammers).

psb777 said: When someone steals a card from other people's pocket, 99.99% of cases they won't buy a VPS, especially not a low-end one.

The guy that steals the card sells it. They never use it on their own. Any card can end up being used for anything, and does.

psb777 said: Yes, that weeds out some kids. Still, serious scammers could easily fake whatever documents you want, and fool any inspections with flying colours.

That is work, they do not do that. They go to the next provider.

• DPCDPC Member

@William

Wait... people spam your sales? O.o Did you really mean spam? B'cos I'd like to know exactly how someone spams a VPS provider and what they aim to gain.

William said: The guy that steals the card sells it. They never use it on their own. Any card can end up being used for anything, and does.

Yes this is true but its done everywhere even in the US & UK... b'cos faking documents isn't hard work for anyone who deals in the black market (stolen credit cards, etc)

William said: psb777 said: Yes, that weeds out some kids. Still, serious scammers could easily fake whatever documents you want, and fool any inspections with flying colours.

That is work, they do not do that. They go to the next provider.

Yes and after trying a few providers and failing, they'll fake the documents and submit it. Anyone who can buy a stolen card can also definitely get a fake passport easily.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited August 2017

@DPC said:
    Yes and after trying a few providers and failing, they'll fake the documents and submit it. Anyone who can buy a stolen card can also definitely get a fake passport easily.

Are you trying to support your personal cause, or just expound upon your countries' fraudulent abuse of resources?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2017

DPC said: Wait... people spam your sales? O.o Did you really mean spam? B'cos I'd like to know exactly how someone spams a VPS provider and what they aim to gain.

No. People buy VPS/Dedicated and then spam with them.

DPC said: Yes this is true but its done everywhere even in the US & UK... b'cos faking documents isn't hard work for anyone who deals in the black market (stolen credit cards, etc)

Getting a matching ID to a stolen CC you bought on a darknet market is work and hard. Rare.

DPC said: Yes and after trying a few providers and failing, they'll fake the documents and submit it. Anyone who can buy a stolen card can also definitely get a fake passport easily.

No, they hit one that does not fail. Always.

I had a few customers submit IDs and later cause issues, but this was always cybercrime and not your average spammer.

Very simple this is a cost:value calculation - a stolen US/UK CC costs around 2$, a fake ID with name of it unless you have tools already (which are not cheap, at least the ones that do not produce crap everyone sees immediately as fake) much more.

Getting a new CC and going again through an ISP list is far less work than try your luck with a fake ID (aside that using a stolen CC is less crime than faking an ID for it, but i doubt they care much about that).

• nicenice Member
    edited August 2017

Blocking and not providing service based on people's country, religion or other kind of condition is a sign of racism.
    Everyone is welcome to our hosting, just be nice.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

IAlwaysBeCoding said: A chargeback fee from a $20 transaction cost more in fees than your $20 dollars.

• you also loose this $20 so the net balance is -$40 - I know you meant it, but I think it's worth making that clear.
  • nice said: Blocking and not providing service based on people's country, religion or other kind of condition is a sign of racism.

No, it is a reaction to reality which is the African fraud rate. I, and many others, are fine accepting this orders if they pay non-reversible, aka BTC or bank.

CC and Africa very, VERY rarely ends well, and i'm sure you'll find a lot of ISPs here that will confirm you that.

Aside - I have to block orders from most Arab countries (and few others) by law and you don't see me complaining either, and this is plain racism by my gov. Different thing entirely as this has no reasonable base, while blocking vast parts of Africa has.

Thanked by 2maverickp miniswift
  • lionlion Member

@nice said:
    Blocking and not providing service based on people's country, religion or other kind of condition is a sign of racism.

A religion isn't a race and blocking specific countries isn't racist.

Thanked by 1Aidan