Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the best Virtualization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is the best Virtualization?

Which is the best Virtualization? KVM or Xen.
Please share your opinion.

Comments

• Hmm, maybe google "KVM vs Xen" will get what you need?

• Yes, I did but I was more interested to know a public opinion technically.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Xen.

• there is no win in general or other virtualization make no sense.

Each one have their advantage and disavantages.

Every project fit better one virtualizator or another, so simple.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

We've been using Xen for over 4 years, Xen HV is stable can achieve low overhead for backing up of data.

However, "marketing" has taken over KVM due to its efficient CPU utilization over Xen.

To achieve better Xen perfomance, you need to tweak their config files and enable NUMA technology which needs in depth Xen knowledge

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

Cloudcone said: KVM due to its efficient CPU utilization over Xen

I disagree, Xen absolutely destroys KVM in terms of CPU scheduling and separation, but yes KVM wins on marketing due to the virtio driver set, flexibility, and ram efficiency.

For long term stability, Xen wins hands down, people do not want to pay the price for Xen stability anymore though so it has no real place in this market segment.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

AnthonySmith said: Xen absolutely destroys KVM

Correct! in terms of scheduling. Most of marketing has taken over by the benchmark numbers on KVM

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Thanks for your inputs! Yes, both KVM & Xen are supported by large communities and enterprises & purpose of both the virtualizations is the same. The differences are found in support for innovation, application integration, application awareness, and performance.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Xen HV is for us, we used it for around 6 years, no issue - very stable.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: people do not want to pay the price for Xen stability anymore

What price?

• WSSWSS Member

@randvegeta said:

AnthonySmith said: people do not want to pay the price for Xen stability anymore

What price?

Have you ever NOT seen Ant online and fucking with something?

• What does best stand for? Performance? Full virtualization? Cheap price? KVM plays good on full virtualization while OpenVZ is better on performance and is more cheaper.

• none

• Depends on your needs

• I'd say xen is the best, if it only had native web-interface...