Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH SP-32-S GPU Enabled?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH SP-32-S GPU Enabled?

SprkFadeSprkFade Member
edited August 2017 in General

Does anyone know if the GPU is enabled or accessible on the SP-32-S servers? The CPU has an Intel HD Graphics P530 built-in and I was hoping I could use it for encoding/decoding in Plex.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@SprkFade said:
    Does anyone know if the GPU is enabled or accessible on the SP-32-S servers? The CPU has an Intel HD Graphics P530 built-in and I was hoping I could use it for encoding/decoding in Plex.

Is GPU transcoding available in Plex yet? I know there was some limited support in preview builds but I don't know how well it works or how much benefit it actually provides.

• SprkFadeSprkFade Member
    edited August 2017

@Nekki said:

@SprkFade said:

Is GPU transcoding available in Plex yet? I know there was some limited support in preview builds but I don't know how well it works or how much benefit it actually provides.

It's still a preview build, but I never had an issue with it other than it being WAY behind (it used to have 1.6.1 as a base). They recently updated it to 1.8.1 base, which is actually even newer than the latest Plex Pass build, and they claim that it properly falls back to CPU if the GPU can't transcode anymore.

It worked really well on the i7700k (MC-64) I was testing it with, so much so that I probably wouldn't consider a CPU without Quicksync for any future server upgrades. People claim that there's a huge loss of quality, but I didn't see anything major (I did see some difference) when I tested the various transcoder settings.

In terms of the benefit, it basically drops the CPU usage to 3-4% instead of 70-80% which is what I was seeing before. Obviously you get more benefit the harder you hit your CPU or the more users you have on your server.

• Per OVH support:

Thank you for contacting OVH regarding the SP-32-S, it will be my pleasure to help clear things out.

The motherboard that comes with the server will not be able to make use of the on board GPU. As such, should you wish to use GPU's, please look into our virtual GPU servers in our public cloud, or our GPU dedicated server line.

• RXWatcherRXWatcher Member
    edited August 2017

Well, that not true. You can use the intel GPU on them. I've had two of them in BHS. The Intel GPUs worked out the door with Ubuntu 16.04.

Here is the catch however: If you want to use the ipmi for them then you need to disable the intel GPU by adding this:

Add this:
    blacklist i915_bpo

to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

execute:

sudo update-initramfs -u

reboot

It's one or the other..ipmi or integrated GPU. It's the nature of the intel motherboard.

When you first load Ubuntu you wont have IPMI but you'll have the GPU. I went round and round with support. They finally had me try CentOS and the IPMI worked.

The GPU is not enabled on centos but the ipmi works out the door.

• @RXWatcher said:
    Well, that not true. You can use the intel GPU on them. I've had two of them in BHS. The Intel GPUs worked out the door with Ubuntu 16.04.

Here is the catch however: If you want to use the ipmi for them then you need to disable the intel GPU by adding this:

Add this:
    blacklist i915_bpo

to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

execute:

sudo update-initramfs -u

reboot

It's one or the other..ipmi or integrated GPU. It's the nature of the intel motherboard.

When you first load Ubuntu you wont have IPMI but you'll have the GPU. I went round and round with support. They finally had me try CentOS and the IPMI worked.

The GPU is not enabled on centos but the ipmi works out the door.

Interesting. I'll have to get one and test with Debian. Thanks for the heads up!