Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN for Gaming or a free alternative to Hamachi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN for Gaming or a free alternative to Hamachi

So some friends and me we wanna play some old strategy game and since it only works with local network Multiplayer we wanna simulate such scenario even though we live in seperate locations. First thought would be Hamachi (a programm to simulate such scenario) but it is not free anymore unlike couple years ago. An alternative would be a VPN with lowest encryption settings to ensure maximum speed (correct?!). Would need to be a private vpn obviously as I dont want to be found by some other users of a public (e.g. nordvpn) vpn.

If you have any other ideas let me know :)

Comments

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

Tunngle is alright for your needs.

Thanked by 2Ympker Aidan
  • @Rhys said:
    Tunngle is alright for your needs.

Great thanks! :) Exactly what I was looking for

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • Try WTFast

• @Windmm said:
    Try WTFast

Hes looking for LAN not pings.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

http://nfoservers.com - really good virtual dedicated servers for a low price

• Ympker said: local network Multiplayer we wanna simulate such scenario

@Rhys already mentioned it, but Tunngle is 100% the right software for this situation.

• On their website is stated, that it's free for 5 computers?
    We had a combination of two 5 computer networks some years ago to get arround this
    5 computer limit. It worked some years ago.

I think, it depends on the game you'd like to play

• nicenice Member
    edited August 2017

gameranger.com, used to play older games in the past.

• @nice said:
    gameranger.com, used to play older games in the past.

Doesn't work for me :/

• Tunngle is so ad ridden it's making me want to throw up. Use GameRanger if it is one of the supported games, or set up a ZeroTier network.

• How is Hamachi not free anymore? I just installed it the last weekend to play a game with a friend. Only thing I noticed is their new client with new IP ranges plus IPv6 and that to use it you have to register for a FREE account.

After I registered with a mail for spam I could use it as much as I could before on the old version. I could create networks and I could join networks. I didn't ask me once to buy anything or pay something.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited August 2017

@Cartman said: How is Hamachi not free anymore?

Looks like it's free for up to 5 users. Possibly @Ympker wanted to play with 5+ friends or didn't want to be locked down to only 5 players in the future.

• @MasonR said:

@Cartman said: How is Hamachi not free anymore?

Looks like it's free for up to 5 users. Possibly @Ympker wanted to play with 5+ friends or didn't want to be locked down to only 5 players in the future.

We wanna play 10ish ppl :P

Thanked by 1CConner
  • Definitely recommend ZeroTier One over Tunngle. Way too many ads and shit to trot through. Tunngle works, but its not worth the ads.

• LeviLevi Member

MagicalTrain said: Tunngle works, but its not worth the ads.

You can pay 0.99 EUR/month to remove those ads. https://www.tunngle.net/account/license/

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

I believe Hamachi has always had the 5 user cap. Used it back in 2010/2011 to play Minecraft with my friends. Was too much of a noob to know how to open ports back then :P

• @CConner said:
    I believe Hamachi has always had the 5 user cap. Used it back in 2010/2011 to play Minecraft with my friends. Was too much of a noob to know how to open ports back then :P

I can't remember the year but when I first used Mamachi it had a 25 limit, they changed it several times since I started, I want to say it was 50 then 25, but it may have started at 25 then dropped to 15 and I think one more hop in between 15 and 5.

I stopped using them after they started making tons of changes to the logmein remote line up and then hamachi.

• I also remember 25 limit :P