Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some bandwidth and ping RTT figures for Hetzner, QuickPacket and NOCIX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some bandwidth and ping RTT figures for Hetzner, QuickPacket and NOCIX

I thought someone might find this data interesting.

I have had two servers in Hetzner and QuickPacket for some years, and recently decided to replace them with upgraded hardware. QuickPacket still offers the same hardware I got, and prices for more powerful machines go up quickly, so I've decided to look into other providers.

This has led me to get a dedicated server with NOCIX (previous DataShack). Specs and price are really good.

These servers are intended to serve the same content to different countries, and I have set them up with Geo-DNS. As part of their monitoring, I have them pinging machines in other countries of the world to measure latency. In the following screenshot, the de machine is in Hetzner, us in QuickPacket, and us2 in NOCIX:

Except for Australia, and the UK, ping RTTs are consistently lower from QuickPacket than from NOCIX—considerably so.

I also used iperf to measure bandwidth between my own machines and these servers, and came up with the following figures:

Transfer to my own computer are consistently low, even though my connection is 200 Mbps cable, and Speedtest reports a bandwidth of 165.78 Mbps. This I find extremely disconcerting.

Apart from this, Hetzner has the lowest absolute bandwidth as server, and NOCIX the highest.

All in all, I don't think this test with NOCIX is going to go any further for me. In terms of latency it seems a step back from QuickPacket, which is the whole reason of having this geographic setup.

Thanked by 3Junkless Aidan uptime