Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OC - Which Heatsink!?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OC - Which Heatsink!?

So,

Finally found a place that will build me a server to a budget, and agree to experiment and OC upwards of 4.5Ghz, we're at a dilemma however, we're unsure if the fan that they are suggesting, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114105 will be sufficent, and if there is anything alternative for this.

I was looking to see if I could find a push/pull config but with this height, it's remarkebly difficult.

The height allowance is 60MM, so that cuts us right down to options, any ideas?

Comments

• I looked into this too a while back when I was building an overclocked i7, on air cooling. Unfortunately, you're just not going to find a small enough fan that will be able to sustain the extreme heat the server is going under. I am assuming this will be for Minecraft?

I ended up going with a Noctua and its been fantastic so far.

• We're using a 2U server, and I was looking to get something a little bigger frankly, but honestly, I thought the 2U would suffice. Not to mention the cost increase with most DC's.

I've got a noctua at home, however I don't think that's going to work in a server configuration, unless I build a workstation, in which case i'd of already got this built and running some a H100 Extreme.

• I've used Dynatrons for 1U setups, they are very solid and shouldn't have any problems pushing 4.0 (assuming from 3.5), 4.5 I'd be worried but if your datacentre has low ambient temperature you should be able to scrape through. Though what you really want is the K666 heatsink with the K650 fan. The K650 fan is nasty, 38CFM at 100% power.

• http://www.dynatron-corp.com/en/product_detail_1.aspx?cv=&id=53&in=0

Apparently they do sell the fans as well. The DF126025_U will be perfect, almost 49 CFM, definitely able to push the heat fast enough.