Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean alternatives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean alternatives

AleksZAleksZ Member
edited August 2017 in General

Hi,

I am looking for solutions like digitalocean, vultr, iwstack, amazonlightsail, aws, azure, linode, Google cloud

What do you, guys use?
(RamMode can't dynamically provisions VMs, so not in a list)

Thanks in advance!

Not a troll thread, just need to get options

Who is OK?
  1. Cloud hosting72 votes
    1. Iwstack
        2.78%
    2. Vultr
      45.83%
    3. Digitalocean
      34.72%
    4. Amazonlightsail
        1.39%
    5. Other
      15.28%

Comments

• out of them I only use digitalocean, had a vm with them almost 4 years and still going strong.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Where is linode?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Have you considered Azure?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Sorry, that was cruel.

• bapbap Member

gcp?

• AleksZAleksZ Member
    edited August 2017

@budi1413 said:
    Where is linode?

Linode looks promising, are there internal network between VMs?

• @AleksZ said:

@budi1413 said:
    Where is linode?

Linode looks promising, are there internal network between VMs?

Within the same region yes.

• I've had good experience with LunaNode.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • aliletalilet Member
    edited August 2017

Since I am using @virmach so I would recommend them. No issues so far and very fast support response as well as automatic provisioning. Problem with DO and Vultr is that they don't accept bitcoin which some times can be a problem for international customers. Before someone says that vultr accepts bitcoin, yes I know but it is only accepted after you have made your first payment using CC or Paypal.

Thanked by 2VirMach MikePT
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited August 2017

I use DigitalOcean and Vultr but prefer Linode for most of my important sites. Even made an official Centmin Mod LEMP stack Linode StackScript for Linode VPS deployments https://community.centminmod.com/threads/official-centmin-mod-linode-stackscript.12513/ :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I think DigitalOcean is still the best option if you want reliable service.

On your list, since you have Azure already, you should also include Google Cloud.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @try4lontalk said:
    I think DigitalOcean is still the best option if you want reliable service.
    On your list, since you have Azure already, you should also include Google Cloud.

Done, but still after several years I can't calculate my expenses there.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited August 2017

Arubacloud 1€ srv, @Verelox, @hostens, @VMHAUS, @Clouvider

• @AleksZ said:

@try4lontalk said:
    I think DigitalOcean is still the best option if you want reliable service.

Done, but still after several years I can't calculate my expenses there.

Agree. Google Cloud does offer discounts for continuous usage, and their discount calculations are quite unpredicable. So, I can never predict my final bill too.

• @advarisk said:
    I've had good experience with LunaNode.

• I used to use Linode, but then switched to SSDNodes. I have had good uptime with them plus I got a good deal :)
    PS: Another argument was the sites I hosted meant I could take a chance with a LE provider.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I generally host important stuff on DO and Linode.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @elofty said:
    out of them I only use digitalocean, had a vm with them almost 4 years and still going strong.

Same thing for me, been running for a bit more than 4 years. Tried Vultr, didn't really like it. DO was always the best.

Thanked by 1jar
  • On the whole, DO is the best. But I like vultr more because the route is better for me.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I signed up with VirMach today based on a comment above. I use Vultr extensively, but needed a machine with 8GB of RAM. Vultr gets pricy for machines like that. VirMach works fine - unfortunately, the Ubuntu 16.04 image is pre-loaded with a bunch of stuff and is not the minimal version. I requested a minimal Ubuntu 16.04 image and their response was to "uninstall" all the stuff that I do not need! I don't think its that difficult to add a minimal image to SolusVM - but... I guess you get what you pay for!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

ct_tx said: I requested a minimal Ubuntu 16.04 image and their response was to "uninstall" all the stuff that I do not need!

I like to think this is the best path. People commonly expect things to work in a standard manner, and with a minimal install they're often not aware of what it is that they're missing... only that it's different from their other boxes. Adding options can confuse customers as to which is best for their needs. The ones that go for the minimal tend to be more technically minded, and therefore more likely to possess the skills necessary to reduce the OS footprint with minimal effort.

• ct_txct_tx Member
    edited August 2017

Yes, I can see that. I guess it would just be nice to have a minimal option - considering that it is not to difficult to setup.

On a related note, I guess I'm just uncomfortable removing packages - the fear of leaving broken remnants behind. But, people tell me that I have OCD tendencies! :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • apt-get purge is pretty good about that, unless you have edited any config files for the package being removed.

Thanked by 1ct_tx
  • Only thing missing at DO is custom ISO installs. If they had this they would be the best.

• I click nothing with Prout in the name man. :P

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @AuroraZ said:
    Only thing missing at DO is custom ISO installs. If they had this they would be the best.

Yeah, only thing keeping me at Vultr right now TBH.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

ct_tx said: I requested a minimal Ubuntu 16.04 image and their response was to "uninstall" all the stuff that I do not need! I don't think its that difficult to add a minimal image to SolusVM - but... I guess you get what you pay for!

Please provide me your ticket number. You should have definitely received a better response. We're doing an overhaul soon and adding more templates. However, there's no public Ubuntu 16.04 minimal template at this time for OpenVZ as far as I know. We can definitely assist you in uninstalling the excess applications, or we could switch you over to an equivalent KVM package and install the ISO for you.

• @caracal said:

@AuroraZ said:
    Only thing missing at DO is custom ISO installs. If they had this they would be the best.

Yeah, only thing keeping me at Vultr right now TBH.

Same here, would much rather have Chitown then Jerseys or NY.

• my $5 goes farther at Vultr .. ;)