Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS shut downs while importing large database - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS shut downs while importing large database

2»

Comments

• Break the database up into smaller portions. 1GB import on a 1GB memory VPS will cause issues.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited August 2017

I remember there is way to backup/restore database by directly copy the files ...

• GreenVineGreenVine Member
    edited August 2017

Try importing your DB to a local instance, and copying over the data folder directly to your VPS

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WebHostingNinja said: 1GB import on a 1GB memory VPS will cause issues.

Why? It's a series of SQL statements.

1GB is hardly a "large database".

OP, if your provider sells you a VPS that auto shuts down when you try to use MySQL, you should name & shame and then fire them. You should be able to import that on a 128MB.

Breezehost said: Breezehost said: Can you please PM us so that we can discuss & try to resolve your issue.

Breezehost said: I think there was nothing shameless, if we share our technical knowledge publicly, that help somebody out of their hosting issues.

The word you should have bolded was PUBLICLY.

What was your purpose in directing him to a PM? Surely not to share your technical knowledge...you could do that right here.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2017

What format are you importing it in? Some formats such as .csv could be causing your VM/Server to OOM which could make it seem like it is shutting down.

You can check in /var/log/messages by running the following via SSH: grep -E '(killed|OOM)' /var/log/messages

• @Nekki said:

I guess the morale of the story is that sometimes you have to tell people that they're a cunt to get them to stop being one.

You’re one too but don’t want to see it either. So what are you talking about? You have broken the rules many times of not ‘being a dick’. And that even is the general rule.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

DennisdeWit said: You’re one too but don’t want to see it either.

I do believe I've referred to myself as such many, many times.

DennisdeWit said: So what are you talking about? You have broken the rules many times of not ‘being a dick’. And that even is the general rule.

Ever consider that your interpretation of either the rule or my actions is what's flawed?

Anyway, sugarplum, you've clearly got some kind of hard-on for me, I'm sorry but my heart belongs to another, so how about you have yourself a nice life and never talk to me again.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member

LMFAO

@Nekki said:

DennisdeWit said: You’re one too but don’t want to see it either.

I do believe I've referred to myself as such many, many times.

DennisdeWit said: So what are you talking about? You have broken the rules many times of not ‘being a dick’. And that even is the general rule.

Ever consider that your interpretation of either the rule or my actions is what's flawed?

Anyway, sugarplum, you've clearly got some kind of hard-on for me, I'm sorry but my heart belongs to another, so how about you have yourself a nice life and never talk to me again.

• @Ruriko : I'm guessing your import has large index tables. Drop them from the backup, import it, and then recreate your indexes. Otherwise your CPU utilization will go through the roof.

Also lock your tables for bulk imports. Use mysqlimport --lock-tables (https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mysqlimport/)