Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion: Member of the Month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion: Member of the Month

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2013 in General

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what people think of the idea of having a member of the month poll like we do for hosts, perhaps the reward is that instead of just saying member next to your name it says MOTM Aug 2013.

I know this place can be very host centric but there are a ton of members on this board that contribute a lot and generally have a lot to add to the community as a whole, e.g. Liam, rm, Spirit and others.

I dont mean to leave anyone out my own list would be long but I think it would be a nice thing to do that would be low pressure and give a little good karma back to those who contribute.

Thoughts?

Thanked by 3Adduc Spirit Pats

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I agree and think that it's a good idea. I believe it was done before once if I am not mistaken a while back but yes I think we can put some goodies with it since there are some that do contribute a lot and put a lot of time who are not hosts as you said. ;-)

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Im sure something like this used to happen. I remember being contacted to provide a VPS to a winner, maybe it was just an actual competition that was being run.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

Yes, I agree there are many members who are not hosts and are happy to help others/contribute, maybe they can be given a LEB free for the month they are the MOTM since eveyone here is LEB hoarder!

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2013

@AnthonySmith said:
    Hi Folks,

Just wondering what people think of the idea of having a member of the month poll like we do for hosts

I am not sure about that :) I don't mean anything bad about your preposition however I think that it's much different than voting for host. I am not so sure if every individual here want such fuss around his personality. Voting for company is matter of prestige. It's also good for business. Voting for individual forum appearance, personality... I am really not sure about this.

When I vote for host I don't vote because you're nice, popular and kind guy at some forum but because your company as whole offer great service to me. I don't vote for you, your personality, but company as such.

As you mentioned few names, do you think that some straight forward guy like rm_ (sorry to use you as example) wants to be on such poll? :) He's not here to please people, he say what he have to say, sometimes in this process hurt people feelings but generally it's great to have people like him here and LET/LEB without them wouldn't be the same.

Some people aren't so kind but still contribute, some others don't contribute much but they are kind and respectful... and what I am afraid is that this would have at some point in future right opposite, degenerated effect of settlement on personal level between people don't like each other.
    Idea as such isn't bad but I know LEB/LET trends too much to feel sure about voting for individual contribution/personality/public appearance.... no matter how noble idea stay behind.

btw. popular host representatives with army of followers are members/contributors too. Would you exclude them? :)

I am not saying NO to idea and I could be easily wrong in some parts but... well I had to say... Sorry for complicating.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Maybe we count thanks also. that is a vote right?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Zen said:
    Spirit makes some valid points. Perhaps just tally up monthly thanks and give this tag/award to the person with the most thanks.

Yeah makes sense, I will Thank Spirit then :)

• @Zen said:
    Spirit makes some valid points. Perhaps just tally up monthly thanks and give this tag/award to the person with the most thanks.

Or just do it as Vbulletin/MyBB plugins do, and show a Thanks Meter next to the username. Like it does on XDA for me: