Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMBox.co: Opinions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMBox.co: Opinions?

As per my previous post [1], I'm on the lookout for a new VPS. I' ve just seen an offer from VMBox.co [2] for Amsterdam, then I opened a ticket with them and they can accomodate my requirements at a nice price; so I'm almost ready to order.

Before taking the plunge, I googled for some reviews both in LEB and LET and everywhere else; did not find anything significant here in LET or in LEB, but found a few positive reviews elsewhere ([3], [4]).

So as the last piece of my "due diligence", I would like to ask you folks here: what can you tell me about VMBox.co, either from direct experience, or from hearing/reading about it?

Thanks pals!

URLs referenced above:
[1] http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12064/contabo-vps-testimonials-good-bad-ugly-or-what
[2] http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/12114/vmbox-co-2gb-ram-openvz-netherlands-1gbps-raid10-singlehop-dc
[3]http://www.hostjury.com/reviews/vmbox+co
[4]http://www.serchen.com/company/vmboxco/

Comments

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited July 2013

Make sure to pay the invoice as soon as you get it... they advertise on HF, so they... tend... to have a bit of slowness when skids get in a hot dog throwing war with them. Servers are plenty fine though.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us today regarding a VPS.

Regarding Rallias' comments about 'hot dog throwing', we have quick reaction monitoring with our datacenter SingleHop, if any ddos affects our server, the destination IP is nulled almost instantly for 24 hours to protect others on the node. We then get detailed graphs and information from the switch to make a decision on what we want to do.

We also have 24/7 phone support with them and can apply/remove nulls within minutes, as well as email and text alerts sent to all staff.

I've provided a quick dd test of one of our NL nodes here.

[root@vps ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.88383 s, 156 MB/s

Please let us know via ticket or email if you have any further questions regarding our service.

Regards
    Steven

• VallVall Member
    edited July 2013

@VMbox said:
    Please let us know via ticket or email if you have any further questions regarding our service.

I've just finished some testing ("mtr" traces from some of my servers in LA, USA and Europe) and I'm seeing heavy packet loss (6 to 10%) from AL, light but still significant packet loss from the USA, and zero packet loss from Europe.

I will send the traces to you attached in my next ticket/email as they contain sensitive IP information, please keep them private but of course feel free to reply in generic terms here in this thread too.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@Vall

I hope you can forward those results to myself as I see nothing wrong with the network in question therefore shows it must be your end that is creating the significant packetloss.

Cheers

Steven

• VallVall Member

@VMbox said:
    I hope you can forward those results to myself as I see nothing wrong with the network in question therefore shows it must be your end that is creating the significant packetloss.

Just emailed them to you; as we are back-and-forth'ing via email now, I will keep the conversation there and just post a summary here in the end.

• @Vall: What's your summary after all?

• Sorry for the delay in posting the summary... I kinda got caught in a storm of other things and never got to the end of it.

But I can say that VMBox.co was very helpful in helping me debug the packet loss situation (which could have been outside of their network after all) and even if I ended up not purchasing their VPS, I can recommend them well, based on their attitude.