Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diskless Booting Solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Diskless Booting Solution?

Was looking for some solutions to get roughly 5 thin clients set up in a small office environment.

Either considering using iSCSI/PXE network booting to run Windows on top of it, or just opening up RDP/VNC connections but I doubt the video performance. FYI the office is using full gigabit connection.

Do you have better suggestions? Preferably an open source / free solution :)

Comments

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

A few ways, either PXE booting into a limited version of windows with a RDP shell or using Ubuntu & rdesktop from network boot (like a live CD) - less secure windows server authentication means they would have a proper AD/local machine login screen too.

Not an elegant solution but one that I know works.

• Windows 8.1 and after can be completely booted from network or external disk. but it's not the best tbh

• @TarZZ92 said:
    Windows 8.1 and after can be completely booted from network or external disk. but it's not the best tbh

When you're saying not the best, are you talking about its performance? The most thing I am worrying about is the video performance, e.g. an HD video playing on the remote desktop may lagging.

• overall performance is crap basically.

• Dickless booting? Why would you want to boot without your dick? Come on guys!