Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Linux OS for 128MB RAM swap 256mb?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Linux OS for 128MB RAM swap 256mb?

ravenchadravenchad Member
edited July 2013 in Help

Hi kLEBS,

What should be the best linux OS (and also version) for 128MB RAM swap 256mb VPS server.
Is GNOME desktop still possible with this memory?

Ubuntu or CentOS?

Thanks. newbie here

Comments

• I wouldn't recommend GNOME desktop. Both Ubuntu and CentOS are fine if you install them from a template. Ubuntu is a bit more beginner-friendly in my experience (especially when it comes to network configuration and software availability).

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @mpkossen said:
    I wouldn't recommend GNOME desktop. Both Ubuntu and CentOS are fine if you install them from a template. Ubuntu is a bit more beginner-friendly in my experience (especially when it comes to network configuration and software availability).

Thanks.
    Any alternative for GNOME?

• awsonawson Member

@ravenchad said:
    Any alternative for GNOME?

Xfce

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • trexostrexos Member

I use debian 6 minimal images 4MB in idle running. You could install xfce later, I think that should work :)

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @awson @trexos, Thank guys. i'll try this both! Another thing, is firefox possible to run with this system?

• @ravenchad Debian, minimal install for server purposes, and forget about the swap. Don't use it.

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @ravenchad said:
    awson trexos, Thank guys. i'll try this both! Another thing, is firefox possible to run with this system?

Both Firefox and Chrome tend to eat up quite some memory considering you've only got 128MB. Don't think that's possible.

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • Debian, Arch, CentOS. Starting any form of X server with that limited RAM isn't really recommended (plus why would you need it?).

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @Enverex said:
    Debian, Arch, CentOS. Starting any form of X server with that limited RAM isn't really recommended (plus why would you need it?).

Centos is a bit limited too. Yum sometimes struggles. Go with Debian minimal.

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • awsonawson Member

@ravenchad said:
    awson trexos, Thank guys. i'll try this both! Another thing, is firefox possible to run with this system?

I was once able to get Xfce + Chromium running using ~140MB RAM. Maybe.

• Anyone is using CentOS on 128mb?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

deb7

• SpiritSpirit Member

@xDragonZ said:
    Anyone is using CentOS on 128mb?

I did it till recently on 96mb vps + kloxo control panel.

• klikliklikli Member

Debian 6 + LXDE + Firefox works fine in a 128MB box :)

• I wouldn't get XFCE, XFCE has become a memory hog over the years, it's not what it used to be. I would install either LXDE or OpenBox Window Manager.

Thanked by 1DomainBop
  • Using CentOS on low memory OpenVZ boxes is a pain. But I have to, because I super hate how iptables works and apt-get on Debian-based OS.

• nixcomnixcom Member

Debian for sure and +1 for LXDE

Thanked by 1ravenchad
  • @klikli said:
    Debian 6 + LXDE + Firefox works fine in a 128MB box :)

Sweet! I'll try this one! Thanks.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Debian 6 + Lynx, may run in 32mb

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • nixcomnixcom Member

@jcaleb said:

Lynx? Still using it? Lol

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Sometimes I use lynx

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

If KVM, I wonder if possible to install Linux OS from the 1990s, maybe they have very lightweight gui and browser.

• rds100rds100 Member

A web browser for the 1990s probably can only display simple static html pages. Any modern website will make it crash and burn.

• OxideOxide Member

There's fluxbox as well.

• @nixcom said:
    __

Last time I used it is to enter my phone verification on gmail so I could use my gmail account to send emails. It works fine :)

I have been using fluxbox for a few days now to run my skype bot and I used LXDE for months to run MW2 dedicated servers on a vps. I still prefer LXDE, I don't notice any performance difference and LXDE already got several features by default.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2013

@jcaleb said:

^this image

• Should use debian or ubuntu. Centos especially the yum seems need bigger ram compared with apt..

• smansman Member

@jcaleb said:
    If KVM, I wonder if possible to install Linux OS from the 1990s, maybe they have very lightweight gui and browser.

Not if you want to use virtio.