Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accidentally Bought a 1230v3 from Online.net Want to Transfer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Accidentally Bought a 1230v3 from Online.net Want to Transfer

ZealZeal Member
edited August 2017 in Help

Hello & Good Morning,

I bought it for 29.99 EUR, roughly $35.00 after taxes/fees/conversion.
I wanted to use the server for Video Editing, but found out it doesn't have any kind of integrated graphics and adding a video card would not be possible.
Would I be able to sell it on here on somewhere?
The server was activated today, August 2, 2017 and will expire in 30 days.

Specifications:

processor

1 x Intel® Xeon® E3 1230v3 4C / 8T @3,3 GHz
memory

32 GB

storage

2 X 120 GB SSD

Best Regards,

Zeal

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Chap, would help if you specified the model and the spec in more detail.

Also, not sure you can transfer the server, I think you would need to change the details on the account itself and hand that over to the new 'owner'.

• DeanDean Member

Can't be transferred, name can't be changed on account. Anything happens on the server, the trail ends up at you.

• ZealZeal Member

@Nekki said:
    Chap, would help if you specified the model and the spec in more detail.

Also, not sure you can transfer the server, I think you would need to change the details on the account itself and hand that over to the new 'owner'.

Thanks for the suggestion, I edited and added the model/spec details.

Specifications:
    processor
    1 x Intel® Xeon® E3 1230v34C / 8T @3,3 GHz

memory
    32 GB

storage
    2 X 120 GB SSD

• ZealZeal Member

@Dean said:
    Can't be transferred, name can't be changed on account. Anything happens on the server, the trail ends up at you.

If I resell the server, would that be fine? Even regaining just $20.00 - $25.00 is fine with me.

• DeanDean Member

Yeah, but I doubt anyone would buy a server that they can't reinstall/reboot etc on their own :)

• You just lost 29.99 EUR -- put it down to experience.

• @advarisk said:
    You just lost 29.99 EUR -- put it down to experience.

Or he could use it to CPU mine and possibly get $15 back...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited August 2017

@aaraya1516 said:

@advarisk said:

Can u suggest me a coin to mine to get that? I have about 10 idle server at online.

• ZealZeal Member
    edited August 2017

@aaraya1516 said:

@advarisk said:

Hi @aarayal1516

Can you explain a little bit more please?

Thank you

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Zeal said:

@Dean said:

If I resell the server, would that be fine? Even regaining just $20.00 - $25.00 is fine with me.

Don't do it pal, just torrent like there's no tomorrow for a month then drop it like it's hot.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Zeal said:

@aaraya1516 said:

@advarisk said:

Hi @aarayal1516

Can you explain a little bit more please?

Thank you

https://www.monero.how/tutorial-how-to-mine-monero

You're not really going to get rich, but you can recoup a couple of bucks. I'm sure there are other coins to mine, but this is one example. The problem is a pool will not let you withdraw without reaching a threashold, and one CPU isn't going to get you to that level in one month. If you are interested I have a pool that's only me, and I'd be willing to drop the withdraw threshold to whatever you need. Major downfall to solo/small pool mining is you probably won't find a block as quick as most pools, possibly not in a month even.

• Even with xmr you wont make more than 2 dollars with that cpu....1 dollar maybe^^

• @drivex said:
    Even with xmr you wont make more than 2 dollars with that cpu....1 dollar maybe^^

I'm asuming ~300H/s for that cpu, but might be less

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/xmr?HashingPower=300&HashingUnit=H/s&PowerConsumption=0&CostPerkWh=0.07

• I've never tried it with Online, but surely you'd be covered by EU distance selling regulations, in that you have the right to cancel without penalty within a few days?

• @ElliotJ said:
    I've never tried it with Online, but surely you'd be covered by EU distance selling regulations, in that you have the right to cancel without penalty within a few days?

I thing so not. Once that you have installed the OS and the server is delivered without any problems. You don't have right for request a refund...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@ElliotJ said:
    I've never tried it with Online, but surely you'd be covered by EU distance selling regulations, in that you have the right to cancel without penalty within a few days?

The service is rendered, it won't work.

Analogy: call a plumber online and ask for a refund when the job is done. :P

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • YuraYura Member

I accidentally bought a gym membership. Twice. I couldn't even do mining with that.

• @ElliotJ said:

I guess you're right. It's kind of what Hetzner does. Probably not worth the hassle for €30 to get the refund. The initial response will be, though luck. I once ordered something by mistake @ online, called them right away to cancel but they simple refused. And I'm on an enterprise subscription.

I love their support when it comes to technical assistance when needed but money wise they are as flexible as any other French company.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2017

Clouvider said: Analogy: call a plumber online and ask for a refund when the job is done. :P

Poorest analogy ever though. Distance selling regulations (now consumer contracts) for entirely online services and services booked online but delivered in person are in no way the same.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

FYI, their accounts people have to meet one requirement for the job.... be a MASSIVE cunt.

Don't bother tryin to refund, or even gain a credit. Their billing "Automation" is monthly (aka 30day cron) so even if you canceled today, that server will be out of stock until the next month when the cron runs.

I am using cron as context, a task that runs when requested, on the time requested etc.. EDAD

• @pbgben said:
    even if you canceled today, that server will be out of stock until the next month when the cron runs.

Makes sense doesnt it? If you cancel today, the server will be paid until the end of the month and will still be online until then. Or did you mean something else?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@MagicalTrain said:

@pbgben said:
    even if you canceled today, that server will be out of stock until the next month when the cron runs.

Makes sense doesnt it? If you cancel today, the server will be paid until the end of the month and will still be online until then. Or did you mean something else?

Yeh, you are right. But even if they took your access away immediately it would stay unused till the end of the month.

• @pbgben said:
    FYI, their accounts people have to meet one requirement for the job.... be a MASSIVE cunt.

Don't bother tryin to refund, or even gain a credit. Their billing "Automation" is monthly (aka 30day cron) so even if you canceled today, that server will be out of stock until the next month when the cron runs.

I am using cron as context, a task that runs when requested, on the time requested etc.. EDAD

Can you explain to me how this works? I ask because currently something weird is happening to me related to an online.net server.

So, I bought a server from online.net from oneprovider.com around 2 months ago. I paid for 2 months and on the 15th of last month I requested a cancel at the end of the billing. Well, my server has been removed from my panel on the oneprovider.com , but funny enough I still have access to the server. They haven't resetted anything or reformatted the server. The server doesn't show up on my oneprovider.com panel, but I can login through SSH. Do you think I will have the server till the end of the month or even longer?

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@pbgben said:

Can you explain to me how this works? I ask because currently something weird is happening to me related to an online.net server.

So, I bought a server from online.net from oneprovider.com around 2 months ago. I paid for 2 months and on the 15th of last month I requested a cancel at the end of the billing. Well, my server has been removed from my panel on the oneprovider.com , but funny enough I still have access to the server. They haven't resetted anything or reformatted the server. The server doesn't show up on my oneprovider.com panel, but I can login through SSH. Do you think I will have the server till the end of the month or even longer?

I think it's till they sell the server to someone else.
    When oneprovider had the 10€ dedi, it appeared to my OP-account and the IP was visible while it was still waiting for delivery. When I opened the IP in my browser, it still had the old owners stuff there. It was all there right before the delivery.
    The moment it was delivered the old stuff disappeared, leading me to believe that's when they formatted it. The IP never changed.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Guess there is one way to find out.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @S3phy said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@pbgben said:

When oneprovider had the 10€ dedi, it appeared to my OP-account and the IP was visible while it was still waiting for delivery. When I opened the IP in my browser, it still had the old owners stuff there. It was all there right before the delivery.
    The moment it was delivered the old stuff disappeared, leading me to believe that's when they formatted it. The IP never changed.

Wait , are you basically saying that this server will remain in my control until they find a new owner? So, until it is sold to someone else then I will still have access to my server right?

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@S3phy said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@pbgben said:

Wait , are you basically saying that this server will remain in my control until they find a new owner? So, until it is sold to someone else then I will still have access to my server right?

It seems that was the case with OP in my case. No idea if that was an accident or they actually work like that.

I don't know how long the server had been out of use, and that was when the offer was introduced for the first time in OP. Meaning it was just transferred from Online to OP for reselling.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding