Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free status script
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free status script

taronyutaronyu Member

I have been looking for this for several days but there is nothing I like. I don't want to run a web server on all my boxes, or other tools. I'm only looking for a small script that pings a server and tells me if it is up or down. I also don't want to use 3rd party tools (like uptime robot).

The only thing I found so far is this:
https://github.com/AndrewGertig/uptime
But with all his ruby trash it is impossible to run this on a LEB.

Anybody that can help me with this?

Comments

• trexostrexos Member

I'm not good at PHP but I made exactly that. It's just a white site with hostname, location and Off or online. Do you want the script?

• SpiritSpirit Member

I don't want to run a web server on all my boxes

This! All those nice server status scripts introduced and widely used at LET/LEB require on every remote server webserver installed. It's not problem to pick master server with webserver but I really don't want to install webserver on every remote vps server.

tl;dr

I am looking for the same thing.

Thanked by 1taronyu
  • trexostrexos Member

Yeah, I think that too. I don't wan't to run a web server on my boxes, especially not on the small ones and that's why I made this script but it only pings the server and it looks really ugly.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I made one, look at my previous posts

• @trexos said:
    Yeah, I think that too. I don't wan't to run a web server on my boxes, especially not on the small ones and that's why I made this script but it only pings the server and it looks really ugly.

If you want to share it :)

@netomx said:
    I made one, look at my previous posts

I can't find it, or I'm not looking far enough.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    Thanked by 2taronyu Spirit
  • trexostrexos Member
    edited July 2013
    Thanked by 2taronyu Spirit
  • BluBoyBluBoy Member

I have been playing with rsyslogd (over ssh) and the logger command.
    a) Run commands to query certain services and log the output with 'logger'
    b) Send all logs to a central logging box.
    c) Query the logs for status and stats on the various services running. (Actually logging with rrdtool)

• PHP can ping with the Net_Ping pear extension (http://www.codediesel.com/php/ping-a-server-using-php/) and of course you can use fsockopen to connect to ip:port to check as well...

• trexostrexos Member

simple (visible) html table and looks better than mine:D

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited July 2013

@trexos said:
    simple (visible) html table and looks better than mine:D

All I added was:

<

table width="800" border="1" cellpadding="10">

How easy it can be, currently looking for a background that fits. :P

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

old script but does the trick.
    http://www.labradordata.ca/home/38

downtime is a bash shell script that monitors one or more remote servers and logs times they are inaccessible (down). It is designed for use by someone with a home/office Linux machine who wants to track the status of remote servers.

The script is run via cron at your chosen interval (e.g., every two minutes) and writes to a log file of your choice. Only periods of inaccessibility are logged (no news is good news).

downtime also monitors your local Internet connection, so as not to incorrectly report server downtime when your Internet connection fails. Periods of Internet-connection failure are also written to the log.

• trexostrexos Member

I'm trying some other things too;p

Yeah I see, I opend your site and atm I'm eating and wathing you changing the background colour :D

• @trexos said:
    I'm trying some other things too;p

Yeah I see, I opend your site and atm I'm eating and wathing you changing the background colour :D

Damn that is interresting :P I'm not a designer so all I'm doing is trial and error. Also I'm drinking something while doing it. (And it takes a while to get it, (leg is in plaster))

@MikHo said:
    old script but does the trick.
    http://www.labradordata.ca/home/38

downtime also monitors your local Internet connection, so as not to incorrectly report server downtime when your Internet connection fails. Periods of Internet-connection failure are also written to the log.

I was searching for a nice page to check it, not a script ;)

• trexostrexos Member

I like the "design" how it's atm. Maybe you like this favicon: http://www.favicon.cc/?action=icon&file_id=524965

atm I'm searching a nice one :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

Edit the script to write a nice output and save it in a web accessible directory or use a webpage that reads information from that file.

It's only a suggestion. I replied to this part of your original post.

@taronyu said:
    I'm only looking for a small script that pings a server and tells me if it is up or down. I also don't want to use 3rd party tools (like uptime robot).

Thanked by 1taronyu
  • @trexos said:
    I like the "design" how it's atm. Maybe you like this favicon: http://www.favicon.cc/?action=icon&file_id=524965

atm I'm searching a nice one :)

I never really looked to get a favicon, might get one :)

@MikHo said:
    Edit the script to write a nice output and save it in a web accessible directory or use a webpage that reads information from that file.

It's only a suggestion. I replied to this part of your original post.

I'm happy with trexos his web page so I'm not planning to find out the wheel again ;)

• With nodeping webhooks you can make a kick ass status page. That is what ive done for mine

• @Spencer said:
    With nodeping webhooks you can make a kick ass status page. That is what ive done for mine

It is just to see if there is anything down, and I don't want to rely on 3rd party tools.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Can I have the favicon of this?

• trexostrexos Member

I posted it here.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    Can I have the favicon of this?

Do you see a favicon? Mind blown I added it, but didn't saw it so I removed it.

You are talking about the traffic light right? If so, Trexos posted it indeed.

• trexostrexos Member

Yeah you can't see it because somehow your browser doesn't recheck if there is a favicon set. Try it with another browser or clear cache and cookies :)

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited July 2013

@trexos said:
    Yeah you can't see it because somehow your browser doesn't recheck if there is a favicon set. Try it with another browser or clear cache and cookies :)

Just added it again, don't see it after several hours. Friends do however so I'm fine.

For the record, this is on a LES box.

• trexostrexos Member

Mhm I use firefox and I don't see it with it and I installed Chrome just for testing this and it works on Chrome. Mysterious!

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I see it on Firefox(my main browser). :)

• trexostrexos Member

Ok so I think it's a cache/cookie what ever problem. Tomorrow I'll test it with a firefox portable and I'll make a thread for the script :)

• I wrote up a bash script that pings an IP and if the ping fails it emails me. I'd have to dig it out though. I replaced it with a more specifically tailored one to test the RTMP streams the server was publishing.

• @trexos - interested in this, please post when done. Thanks