Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is it possible: same distro, KVM, provider1=eth0 & provider2=ens3?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is it possible: same distro, KVM, provider1=eth0 & provider2=ens3?

I just noticed that deploying two VMs with Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, one on Scaleway and one on LunaNode (both providers using KVM), the Scaleway VM gets the old interface naming scheme (eth0) while the LunaNode VM gets the new one (ens3). Both providers are using VirtIO. How is it possible that one VM uses Predictable Network Interface Names and the other does not?

Btw. Predictable Network Interface Names ... not so predictable if you ask me.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Are these both templates?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@elwebmaster said:
    I just noticed that deploying two VMs with Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, one on Scaleway and one on LunaNode (both providers using KVM), the Scaleway VM gets the old interface naming scheme (eth0) while the LunaNode VM gets the new one (ens3). Both providers are using VirtIO. How is it possible that one VM uses Predictable Network Interface Names and the other does not?

Sure its not baremetal scaleway?

• @pbgben said:

@elwebmaster said:

Sure its not baremetal scaleway?

I am sure it is a x86 KVM.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • jamzedjamzed Member

It's because of different kernels or kernel settings. You can disable predictable interface names in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"

when it's updated you need to regenerate grub config:

# update-grub

and reboot your VM ;-)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jamzed said:
    It's because of different kernels or kernel settings. You can disable predictable interface names in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0"

when it's updated you need to regenerate grub config:

# update-grub

and reboot your VM ;-)

Pretty much what we do with all of our templates.

We've had more than a couple cases where a users interface name changed between kernel updates on Ubuntu and then they freak out when their networking breaks.

It was just easy to add those lines to all of our templates than the tickets.

Francisco

Thanked by 2elwebmaster Linkhost