Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is required to send receive email from VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is required to send receive email from VPS

aliletalilet Member

I am planning to get an unmanaged VPS. My question is what is required to send and receive email by my site which will be hosted on that VPS?

Suppose I have a domain www.testing.com which I got from some domain provider. I am hosting this domain on VPS which I got from company A.

I assume I will have to install and configure mail server (looking for some good free mail server software) on my VPS to send receive email correct? Is there anything else required for e.g. buying service from some provider to relay emails or something!?

Comments

• 6ixth6ixth Member

https://mailcow.email/

Install this, no need to pay for anything else other than your domain and your VPS.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • WSSWSS Member

A MTA is usually a good idea.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • sarahsarah Member

You don't need an email server. Search for mail relay.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • You need a VPS provider who is willing to leave port 25 open on your VPS. Then you need Postfix or Exim and whatever else you want in your set up.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @alilet said:

I assume I will have to install and configure mail server (looking for some good free mail server software) on my VPS to send receive email correct?

You Assume Right. Just install those free panel (cwp, kloxo-mr, vestacp) and you're good to go.

Is there anything else required for e.g. buying service from some provider to relay emails or something!?

No.

• EdmondEdmond Member

You need one more thing no one hasn't listed aside from making sure there's enough ram in the VPS your ordering, rDNS. Quite a bit of email providers will reject emails from IPs that do not have rDNS set or it's a default one like someip.host.someprovider.com.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • aliletalilet Member

Thanks for the input guys. Actually I plan on installing a forum software like mybb, vanilla etc. which will generate emails. Plus I also want to be able to receive emails from users at [email protected] so this was the reason for mail server.

@6ixth This looks good

@WSS My knowlede is limited but doesn't MTA require some email relay to work?

@sarah I guess mail relay is not free and I have to buy this service correct?

@dcamero Don't all VPS provider leave port 25 open like DigitalOcean, Vultr etc.?

@Edmond I hope rDNS is part of that mail server setup i.e. it doesn't require additional software or does it?

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited July 2017

@alilet said:
    Thanks for the input guys. Actually I plan on installing a forum software like mybb, vanilla etc. which will generate emails. Plus I also want to be able to receive emails from users at [email protected] so this was the reason for mail server.

@6ixth This looks good

@dcamero Don't all VPS provider leave port 25 open like DigitalOcean, Vultr etc.?

@Edmond I hope rDNS is part of that mail server setup i.e. it doesn't require additional software or does it?

It depends on the host really. You might want to open a ticket to ask before ordering if the website doesn't show it. Hosts either allow you to set it in Solusvm (if they use that), have you open ticket for change, or don't offer it. It's not a software you install, it's more something your host has to setup.

• sarahsarah Member

I assume this is for an app to send emails. If so all you need to do is to configure it to send mails via mail relay like send grid, postmark etc. Most of them have a free tier. Search for transactional mail relay. You don't need port 25 open since mail relay usually can work with 465 or 587. You also don't need rdns or postfix or anything if you relay email.

• In addition to rdns you may want to set up some txt records.

• rDNS is very important, as if you haven't set up SPF yet it uses that as a proxy along with domain reputation.

• aliletalilet Member

Can all these configuration you guys are talking about be done in DigitalOcean or Vultur VPS?

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited July 2017

@alilet said:

@6ixth This looks good

Yes, rDNS is part of mail server setup. Usually that part involving asking your host to set your rDNS. it's easy. as long as your host want to help you. Most of the time, you can't set your rDNS yourself.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • If you're just sending mail from a forum, I suggest using MailGun. They give you SMTP details + whatever you need to configure sending for your forum. They have really good delivery (as in it's reliable), and mail never lands in spam.

It's 10K emails free/mo.

• aliletalilet Member

@doghouch said:
    If you're just sending mail from a forum, I suggest using MailGun. They give you SMTP details + whatever you need to configure sending for your forum. They have really good delivery (as in it's reliable), and mail never lands in spam.

It's 10K emails free/mo.

But what about receiving emails? Because I may create one or two accounts for like [email protected], [email protected] so please suggest a solution for this.

• aliletalilet Member

Oh and I plan on using hosting provider's nameservers in my domain if it helps.

• You can use Zoho which allows both receiving and sending emails through free plan as well.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • sarahsarah Member

To receive email simply use dovecot

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @alilet said:

@doghouch said:
    If you're just sending mail from a forum, I suggest using MailGun. They give you SMTP details + whatever you need to configure sending for your forum. They have really good delivery (as in it's reliable), and mail never lands in spam.

It's 10K emails free/mo.

But what about receiving emails? Because I may create one or two accounts for like [email protected], [email protected] so please suggest a solution for this.

In that case, I suggest Zoho as well. Although you can receive mail through MailGun, it isn't really meant for that purpose.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • WSSWSS Member

An MTA is the "Mail Transfer Agent". Postfix, Sendmail, OpenSMTPd, et al.

Some folks install sSMTP, and set it up to use a gmail account as a relay. That way you don't actually have to care/feed for a mailserver if it's only outgoing.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • To send we use aws ses

• @alilet said:
    Oh and I plan on using hosting provider's nameservers in my domain if it helps.

use @jarland mxroute. It can send, it can receive.

• williewillie Member

Yes, what yokowasis said. I'm a self-hosting zealot but email has become one of those things where it's better to just pay someone else to do it, and live to fight another day.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@yokowasis said:

@alilet said:

@6ixth This looks good

Yes, rDNS is part of mail server setup. Usually that part involving asking your host to set your rDNS. it's easy. as long as your host want to help you. Most of the time, you can't set your rDNS yourself.

just out of curiosity, what exactly does rDNS do ?

• WSSWSS Member

It makes it so your name matches, e.g. this is your PRIMARY hostname and will resolve to. Kind of like caller ID, but a bit more difficult to spoof.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@WSS said:
    It makes it so your name matches, e.g. this is your PRIMARY hostname and will resolve to. Kind of like caller ID, but a bit more difficult to spoof.

I don't get it , I once set up a server without proper rDNS configured, yet I was still be able to send and receive mail?

• Yes, you can send and receive mails, but its a big question-mark whether other mail servers will accept your mail or spam-can it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

qtwrk said: I don't get it , I once set up a server without proper rDNS configured, yet I was still be able to send and receive mail?

Scenario 1:

Sever 1: Hi, who are you?
    Server 2: I'm localhost!
    Serve r1: Alright, let me check with 8.8.8.8 to see if that's true.
    Server 1: Lol you're not localhost? Why you lying? You're shady, I might reject this email or filter it to a spam folder. If this arrives in someone's inbox, count your blessings.

Scenario 2:

Server 1: Hi, who are you?
    Server 2: I'm mail.customerdomain.com!
    Server 1: Alright, let me check with 8.8.8.8 to see if that's true.
    Server 1: When I check 8.8.8.8 it says that you claim to be mail.customerdomain.com, and that mail.customerdomain.com says it's you. So you're legit. Welcome!

Get it?

Thanked by 1sarah
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

@jarland said:

qtwrk said: I don't get it , I once set up a server without proper rDNS configured, yet I was still be able to send and receive mail?

Scenario 1:

Sever 1: Hi, who are you?
    Server 2: I'm localhost!
    Serve r1: Alright, let me check with 8.8.8.8 to see if that's true.
    Server 1: Lol you're not localhost? Why you lying? You're shady, I might reject this email or filter it to a spam folder. If this arrives in someone's inbox, count your blessings.

Scenario 2:

Server 1: Hi, who are you?
    Server 2: I'm mail.customerdomain.com!
    Server 1: Alright, let me check with 8.8.8.8 to see if that's true.
    Server 1: When I check 8.8.8.8 it says that you claim to be mail.customerdomain.com, and that mail.customerdomain.com says it's you. So you're legit. Welcome!

Get it?

Got it.

Thanks for detailed explanation