Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS - Hetzner or Netcup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS - Hetzner or Netcup?

I need a Germany VPS as well as Storage. Hetzner and Netcup seems also provide the similar products but just the price has little different.

Could you please let me know which one is better (e.g. uptime, Server spec.) or there is other good provider in Germany also provider the similar product with low price. Thanks.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

Ive nothing had but good experiences when it comes to netcups VPS Lineup, speaking of the Rootservers (with dedicated cpu cores) that is. They perform solid with minimal downtime and great to be able to use cpu cores 100% 24/7 for 7 days a week without issues. Ive heard good things about the Hetzner Storage lineup so why not go Netcup VPS, Hetzner Storage. On the other hand there are advantages if Netcup VPS and Storage are on the same internal network and were to communicate together if that would be the case. Tagging @Falzo

I did not try Hetzner myself yet. But they are reputable as well ofc. Comparing prices and offers Netcup gives you more bang for your bucks. Dedicated Cores instead of vcores, 6GB RAM from 7,99€/mo or 9,99€ if month by month. Hetzner isnt nearly there.

• LeviLevi Member

Hetzner all the way. Stellar support and service quality.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@LTniger said:
    Hetzner all the way. Stellar support and service quality.

Can only say the same for Netcup at this point. You wont go wrong with either. Hetzner wins the Dedicated Server battle hands down though.

Thanked by 3pike noqqkk Hetzner_OL
  • FalzoFalzo Member

I can recommend both @noqqkk, but to make a proper suggestion you should definitely give more details what exactly you are looking for, like amount of ram, cpu, disk etc.

can't add much to what @Ympker already said, for netcup I may be able to provide slightly cheaper order links then what is available on their page, depending on what product you choose...

There are quite some other providers worth mentioning that offer reliable vps in germany like ultravps.eu or keyweb or leaseweb etc.

Thanked by 2Ympker noqqkk
  • akhfaakhfa Member

Maybe little OOT, can you change file permission on hetzner storage box? I mount as cifs, but I can't change the file permission

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • pikepike Veteran

I recommend to use Hetzner directly. You can even tell them in which of their 16(?) DCs you want it hosted. They basically have two locations one in Nürnberg one in Falkenstein (Nürnberg seems to have slightly better pings to DE-CIX).
    But I haven't heard anything bad of Netcup too so both providers might fit your needs.

Anyway if you're researching other providers I would stay away from servers located in Düsseldorf (as they're most likely in the MyLOC DC which had some serious power outages in the last years).

Thanked by 2noqqkk Hetzner_OL
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

Thank you all for sharing and helping.

Falzo said: can't add much to what @Ympker already said, for netcup I may be able to provide slightly cheaper order links then what is available on their page, depending on what product you choose...

Will message you if I decide to use Netcup. Many thanks.

pike said: I recommend to use Hetzner directly. You can even tell them in which of their 16(?) DCs you want it hosted. They basically have two locations one in Nürnberg one in Falkenstein (Nürnberg seems to have slightly better pings to DE-CIX). But I haven't heard anything bad of Netcup too so both providers might fit your needs.

Anyway if you're researching other providers I would stay away from servers located in Düsseldorf (as they're most likely in the MyLOC DC which had some serious power outages in the last years).

Thanks for your reminder and this information is very important for me to decide use Netcup, Hetzner or other provider in Germany.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

You might also wanna compare their Trust pilot profiles:

While Hetzner gets a 7.4 rating based on 41 reviews: https://de.trustpilot.com/review/www.hetzner.de

Netcup gets a solid 9.0 rating based on 149 reviews: https://de.trustpilot.com/review/netcup.de

Netcup really is top notch when it comes to german providers. You will see more Hetzner recommendations though as they are more active on the international market and known for their great dedicated server deals. Speaking as a local though Netcup is really an excellent choice. Just stay away from MyLoc/Webtropia.

Thanked by 1pike
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

@Ympker Great Information. Many thanks.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • 36062023606202 Member
    edited July 2017

Dedicated -> Hetzner

VM -> Netcup

Thanked by 2Falzo Ympker
  • @pike said:
    I recommend to use Hetzner directly. You can even tell them in which of their 16(?) DCs you want it hosted. They basically have two locations one in Nürnberg one in Falkenstein (Nürnberg seems to have slightly better pings to DE-CIX).
    But I haven't heard anything bad of Netcup too so both providers might fit your needs.

Düsseldorf is fine, except the myLoc DC, yes. There are a lot of other DC's there though and its situated directly between Amsterdam and Frankfurt, so its a nice option.

• FalzoFalzo Member

Just on a sidenote: netcup is located in the facilities in nuremberg so partially same as you might get with hetzner.

@3606202 said:
    Dedicated -> Hetzner

VM -> Netcup

This probably sums it up pretty good. As mentioned earlier depends on your use case...

@akhfa said:
    Maybe little OOT, can you change file permission on hetzner storage box? I mount as cifs, but I can't change the file permission

Afaik you might be able to change permissions but not the owner. What you can do about is put a large diskimage onto it and loop-mount it in your regulat machine. That way you can put any filesystem on that virtual disk and use full uid/gid perm sets.

Thanked by 23606202 akhfa
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@3606202 said:
    Dedicated -> Hetzner

VM -> Netcup

Basically this^^

Thanked by 13606202
  • @Ympker said:

@3606202 said:
    Dedicated -> Hetzner

VM -> Netcup

Basically this^^

Completely Agreed :)

Thanked by 13606202
  • jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

You should maybe have a look at our offers, which are located in Frankfurt am Main, Germany: https://www.kms-hosting.com/rootserver :-)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Kabeldamagement said:
    You should maybe have a look at our offers, which are located in Frankfurt am Main, Germany: https://www.kms-hosting.com/rootserver :-)

still waiting for a 40%off flash on your root 2G to finally give it a try ;-9

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@Falzo said:

@Kabeldamagement said:

still waiting for a 40%off flash on your root 2G to finally give it a try ;-9

7,50€ is already cheap for the services we provide (enterprise hardware, no hardcore overselling - max load of each node is 70%, 10gbit network, ddos-protection from layer 3 to layer 7, etc.). A special might come out in case we have too much ressources available ;-)

• @Kabeldamagement
    7,50€ is already cheap for the services we provide (enterprise hardware, no hardcore overselling - max load of each node is 70%, 10gbit network, ddos-protection from layer 3 to layer 7, etc.). A special might come out in case we have too much ressources available ;-)

and you don't force your customers to sign a "unterlassungserklärung" for something like a blacklisted ip and other stuff like netcup ;)
    kms has better routing as hetzner (they have no dtag enabled by default) and a better ddos protection also. i would take the vps from kms-hosting and storage from hetzner

Thanked by 1jh_aurologic
  • MrFunkenMrFunken Member
    edited July 2017

I don't know why you all prefer netcup.
    I was some time ago a customer of netcup for one month... There is no way to get me back to them.

Unusual contracts, like @Butters already said. Also an cazy routing. (I'm was in the same city as their data center and had a 35hop route.)
    Hetzner FTW ;)

• akhfaakhfa Member

@Falzo said:

@akhfa said:

Afaik you might be able to change permissions but not the owner. What you can do about is put a large diskimage onto it and loop-mount it in your regulat machine. That way you can put any filesystem on that virtual disk and use full uid/gid perm sets.

Yes I mean file owner. Thanks for this clarification and explanation. I can't get any idea about this little tricks :D

So for the simple technical explanation, I need to mount the storage box, and then mount large disk image, is this what you mean loop-mount?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@MrFunken said:
    I don't know why you all prefer netcup.
    I was some time ago a customer of netcup for one month... There is no way to get me back to them.

Unusual contracts, like @Butters already said. Also an cazy routing. (I'm was in the same city as their data center and had a 35hop route.)
    Hetzner FTW ;)

What's so crazy about their contracts? They are just old fashioned for netcup.de :) With netcup.eu you pay month by month and can cancel each month. With netcup.de I think you can't cancel unless you have paid atleast for 2 months or used your 14 day Widerrufsrecht which worked flawless for me.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2017

@akhfa said:

@Falzo said:

@akhfa said:

Yes I mean file owner. Thanks for this clarification and explanation. I can't get any idea about this little tricks :D

So for the simple technical explanation, I need to mount the storage box, and then mount large disk image, is this what you mean loop-mount?

Yes exactly. You mount your storage box to e.g. /mnt/sbox and put a large empty file on it like via dd or something like that, let's call it 'disk.img'. you could then make the filesystem on that image ext4 (or something else) with

mkfs.ext4 /mnt/sbox/disk.img

and mount it to another dir with

mount -o loop -t ext4 /mnt/sbox/disk.img /home/mydir

Maybe you need to setup loop device if not existing, there should be quite some infos around anyways ;-)

You could even use something like luks/dmcrypt to encrypt the whole thing if you like. Also you can use sshfs instead of cifs... I did some test back some times tonfigure whats fastest but can't remember which one it was... just too lazy to search through let ;-)

PS: found it https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1361465/#Comment_1361465 - seems sshfs without encryption was the fastest depending on use case ;--)

Thanked by 2caracal akhfa
  • @Ympker said:
    What's so crazy about their contracts? They are just old fashioned for netcup.de :) With netcup.eu you pay month by month and can cancel each month. With netcup.de I think you can't cancel unless you have paid atleast for 2 months or used your 14 day Widerrufsrecht which worked flawless for me.

Best example. To cancel my service I need to send a contract termination by post or fax (with a handwritten signature). That is.. outdated?! Even by the German law.

Generally, I had somehow the feeling not to be really welcome.
    Everyone can decide for themselves where he will be a customer.
    But, I prefer Hetzner. It's a well-known provider in Germany since more than 20 years.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@MrFunken said:

@Ympker said:

Best example. To cancel my service I need to send a contract termination by post or fax (with a handwritten signature). That is.. outdated?! Even by the German law.

But, I prefer Hetzner. It's a well-known provider in Germany since more than 20 years.

meanwhile you can just cancel regularly from within their control panel. no specific need for paperwork anymore. can't tell if they want something written if you want to make use of their satisfaction guarantee though.

But as you said everyone should make his own choice based on experience and expectations. Can't go wrong with hetzner either, I am a happy customer for years there too.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

@MrFunken said:

@Ympker said:

Nope. Control panel works just as @Falzo said. When I cancelled with Widerrufsrecht it was fine when I scanned a document with my signature and emailed it to them. They accepted it without problems :)

Hetzner is also a good choice ofc :)

• @Ympker

So if I sign up with netcup.eu, I can cancel whenever I want?

• JorboxJorbox Member

I'm a happy customer with hetzner
    have a server from 5 months and didnt go down and I didnt need their support at all

• WSSWSS Member

I've had several Hetzner machines over the years, but I have yet to try NetCup. @Falzo has the hookup- I just don't need anything specifically in Germany. :(

• @WSS said:
    I've had several Hetzner machines over the years, but I have yet to try NetCup. @Falzo has the hookup- I just don't need anything specifically in Germany. :(

Definitely expected you to be a gambling man.

Are German VPNs even still "in" for gambling?

• WSSWSS Member

@MagicalTrain said:
    Definitely expected you to be a gambling man.

I gamble every time I blindly feel my way to the bathroom at darkthirty.

Thanked by 2MagicalTrain Falzo