Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best way to host static website?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best way to host static website?

sanvitsanvit Member
edited July 2017 in General

I'm currently using BunnyCDN with Storage Zones to host my current website, and I'm mostly happy with that. However, their FTP doesn't support non-english file name so I'm exploring other options. What would be the best way to host it(I don't mind if it's urls are like somekindofdomain.com/bucketname/files as long as / can pull up index.html by default and it supports HTTPS since I'm pretty sure I'll put BCDN in front of it and going to use the hosting as a backend)?

S3 is fine. I'm just exploring other options. :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

just one more, domain.com/foldername should pull up domain.com/foldername/index.html

• WSSWSS Member

If you have DirectoryIndex "index.html" (modified for your config), virtually every httpd written in the last 20 years will do the latter.

Your "Non-English Filenames" is kind of breaking spec in different areas- from being not 7 bit ASCII standard, to poossibly annoying different filesystems- so I don't really have an answer to fulfill your request.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2017

@WSS said:
    If you have DirectoryIndex "index.html" (modified for your config), virtually every httpd written in the last 20 years will do the latter.

Yeah... I was looking for a more S3-ish service (webhosting is fine, but a relyable one can cost more than just using S3). The reason I wrote this is because BackBlaze B2 won't pull up index files by default(and I was told by support that they won't support it).

Your "Non-English Filenames" is kind of breaking spec in different areas- from being not 7 bit ASCII standard, to poossibly annoying different filesystems- so I don't really have an answer to fulfill your request.

I'm pretty sure that's the error I got frome FileZilla (server does not support non-ASCII filenames).

• WSSWSS Member

You absolutely don't want to self-host, right? Otherwise I'd suggest minio. Have you looked at http://www.s3for.me/ ? I've never used them, but their API is S3 compatible- although they're hardly enterprise-ready.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • ardaarda Member

GitHub pages can do it for free if you are okay with a git repository of the files available public. You can even bind domain(s) to that.

Thanked by 3sanvit bap sayem314
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2017

@WSS said:
    You absolutely don't want to self-host, right? Otherwise I'd suggest minio. Have you looked at http://www.s3for.me/ ? I've never used them, but their API is S3 compatible- although they're hardly enterprise-ready.

I usually self-host most of my stuff, but using a object storage service seems to be more hassel-free and cheaper(at least for this particular use). I am using minio right now for other uses. I'll check on S3forme. Thankyou!

• sanvitsanvit Member

@arda said:
    GitHub pages can do it for free if you are okay with a git repository of the files available public. You can even bind domain(s) to that.

Thanks! I'm currently hosting a blog on it and it works great (it seems to have a CDN of it's own too...?)! The thing is, they only support one site per account, and creating multiple accounts to host multiple websites seems to be abusing their servcie... :(

• BackBlaze B2?

10GB free storage and free 1GB egress per day.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@CyberneticTitan said:
    BackBlaze B2?

10GB free storage and free 1GB egress per day.

Yup, using BackBlaze B2, however they don't support index files... :(

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I settled on S3 after looking at a bunch of options. Was the most reliable option with all the features I wanted.

If I wanted to self host it on a VPS, I'd grab something from a reliable provider and throw aggressive CDN caching in front of it - so even if the origin is down, things will still be cached fairly well and keep serving.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Harambe said:
    I settled on S3 after looking at a bunch of options. Was the most reliable option with all the features I wanted.

If I wanted to self host it on a VPS, I'd grab something from a reliable provider and throw aggressive CDN caching in front of it - so even if the origin is down, things will still be cached fairly well and keep serving.

Yeah.... S3 seems to be the only reliable option... :(

• seanhoseanho Member

@sanvit said:

@arda said:

Thanks! I'm currently hosting a blog on it and it works great (it seems to have a CDN of it's own too...?)! The thing is, they only support one site per account, and creating multiple accounts to host multiple websites seems to be abusing their servcie... :(

You certainly can have multiple sites under one github account; I have a couple dozen. Just create one repository for each site, and put its virtual hostname in a file named CNAME in the repo. Then add a CNAME entry in your DNS pointing to username.github.io.

You can also reach each site at username.github.io/repo

Thanked by 1arda
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@seanho said:

@sanvit said:

@arda said:

You certainly can have multiple sites under one github account; I have a couple dozen. Just create one repository for each site, and put its virtual hostname in a file named CNAME in the repo. Then add a CNAME entry in your DNS pointing to username.github.io.

You can also reach each site at username.github.io/repo

Never knew that. Thanks! I'll definitly try out!

Do they support SSL for custom domains?

• If it's a static site, host it on whatever server you may have (or get the cheapest / free hosting possible), and then add cloudflare for free.

You can then create a pagerule to cache all contents for 30 days.
    The site will be served mostly for free from cloudflare and your speed will be awesome.
    You only need the server so cloudflare can fetch the files when those are uncached.

And it will look like this:

• sharuusharuu Member

You can look at Firebase Hosting.

• seanhoseanho Member

@sanvit said:

@seanho said:

@sanvit said:

@arda said:

Do they support SSL for custom domains?

Unfortunately, they do not; this is kind of a big issue.

What many of us do is route it through CloudFlare's MITM "service", so you get SSL from endpoint to CF, and SSL from CF to Fast.ly (Github Pages' CDN). It's not ideal, but it gets you a green lock icon in your browser.

I believe hosted Gitlab can do SSL for custom domains, maybe they let you upload your own cert or somesuch.