Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opensource Bind9 GUI - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opensource Bind9 GUI

2»

Comments

• pylodepylode Member

@joelgm So i'll take it that you're not interested then..

• @smooch1502 said:
    joelgm So i'll take it that you're not interested then..

I wish I could, @smooch1502, I'm just too busy with my day job that I couldn't do justice to a new project.

• vldvld Member

@joelgm said:
    I'm all for keeping it open source. However to discourage blatant ripoffs, I'd need an open source license before I release. Can anyone suggest licensing mechanisms for open source projects, which can prevent blatant copying and rebranding, and at the same time enable collaboration, and commits which can be approved by the original author?

Perhaps you'd like to read what joepie91 has to say about licensing: http://joepie91.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/licensing-for-beginners/

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • You don't have to allow for 3rd party developers to commit to your project. Open source does not mean free of copyright or crowd-sourced effort.

You can simply offer the software as a direct download with full source code. Make sure you validate every order. Only companies would need this, no individual would find a need for this product. You shouldn't have rip offs in that case.

And offer a subscription to support the product so that you have recurring income as well.

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I would use it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

where's @joepie91 ? I dreamed with him :/ WTF hahahaha

• @InfiniteTech said:
    You don't have to allow for 3rd party developers to commit to your project. Open source does not mean free of copyright or crowd-sourced effort.

You can simply offer the software as a direct download with full source code. Make sure you validate every order. Only companies would need this, no individual would find a need for this product. You shouldn't have rip offs in that case.

And offer a subscription to support the product so that you have recurring income as well.

What kind of license would cover such a model? I did consider this. It started off as an exercise in coding, but now since considerable effort has gone into it, it's looking like a viable product in itself. I do need some advanced user authentication system built into it.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

I decided to showcase a preview of the DNS Manager. :)

It's at http://198.23.164.18/dns.php

Right now, I've disabled the connection between the backend and GUI, and also the administration functions. You'll get a feel of what this will look like.

Once again, though the GUI is functional, the service has been disabled.
    Your feedback and comments/critique is appreciated.

• Unable to connect

@joelgm why bind and not mara?

• @MorningIris said:
    Unable to connect

Use the IP. Due to my tests, DNS records may be a bit messed up.
    http://198.23.164.18/dns.php

@joelgm I logged in, it is pretty :) Will use if you release it :)

• It looks nice and it must suck to hear this but you've basically recreated webmin bind module with a nicer looking theme.

• skaska Member
    edited July 2013

Then again, who --with a sane mind-- want's to use webmin? ;-)

• @ska said:
    Then again, who --with a sane mind-- want's to use webmin? ;-)

Who wouldn't? It's better than almost any panel out there. The theme is just not that pretty.

• @Abdussamad said:
    It looks nice and it must suck to hear this but you've basically recreated webmin bind module with a nicer looking theme.

Webmin is a GUI to BIND configuration. This script implements a process, which webmin doesn't. They may be similar, but I think this script is more user friendly.

• @mpkossen said:
    Webmin is a GUI to BIND configuration. This script implements a process, which webmin doesn't. They may be similar, but I think this script is more user friendly.

What do you mean by "implements a process"? It is a gui to bind config just like webmin. it says so in this thread's title :)

Webmin is tried and tested. I would trust it from a security point of view and also from a not fuck things up point of view. This script needs to be tested in the wild before it can be trusted.

edited July 2013

@Abdussamad @mpkossen

The process is a simple bash script which takes three arguments, and is limited in what it can do, which is to copy the file generated by the php script from the web user temporary directory, to the bind directory (owned by root user). It can also restart bind.

Yes it needs more testing to make sure the validation is perfect, which I'm still doing.

From a security point of view, this script is very limited in what it has access to. For one, su_exec takes only a hard coded argument of a file name which is generated by the script itself, from the domain name. The domain name has to pass a very strict regular expression for its pattern, and I don't think it's possible to hack into. The other area is $_POST values, where I do have work to do, to stop injection.

At the moment, there's no database. When a database does get added, I plan to prevent direct write to the database from user input, but to run queries only based on the read from the zone files, and the script, effectively cleaning up any potential injections.

• @Abdussamad said:
    What do you mean by "implements a process"? It is a gui to bind config just like webmin. it says so in this thread's title :)

This script implements the process of adding a domain and records for it from a user point of view. Webmin is more focused on building a GUI for editing configuration files.

• Webmin is not for editing config files. In fact I used webmin back when I didn't know how to configure bind manually. You add domains and records using webmin. You can start and stop bind too and save your changes as well.

There is also a bulk domain addition feature. Just create a template and import as many domains as you like using a format like this:

exampl1.com:master:127.0.0.1
    exampl2.com:master:127.0.0.1

It will automatically create the a records corresponding to the IP you specified.

Webmin has its own built in web server so if apache dies you can still use webmin.

Finally the whole she bang uses just 15-20MB of RAM!

• @joelgm said:
    Abdussamad mpkossen

At the moment, there's no database. When a database does get added, I plan to prevent direct write to the database from user input, but to run queries only based on the read from the zone files, and the script, effectively cleaning up any potential injections.

When you implement the database be sure to use mysqli or PDO functions and not the old mysql functions. Also use prepared statements to prevent SQL injection.

• @Abdussamad said:

I'm sorry, don't get me wrong. I never intended to make it look like I don't like Webmin. I love it! I also use Virtualmin on a bunch of servers. It's light-weight (well, Wemin is), non-intrusive and modular. It's really a nice piece of software.

I just think a script like this is much more focused on the end user and Webmin is more focused on a system administrator that needs a GUI. But then again, that's my personal perspective. I'd just rather use a script like the OP's (I'm actually creating something similar myself, but integrated in a small framework) than Webmin for configuring BIND.

edited July 2013

@Abdussamad said:

Of course. :)

• twaintwain Member
    edited July 2013

If we are talking about other GUI's/interfaces to manage BIND, then one that likely not too many users here may know is that the Yast tool from OpenSuse has a great ncurses based DNS/BIND management that you can use from the command line:

http://timelordz.com/wiki/Suse_DNS_Server_Configuration

• @mpkossen said: This script implements the process of adding a domain and records for it from a user point of view. Webmin is more focused on building a GUI for editing configuration files.

It is definitely more than that. It is similar to GP's interface, but a lot more ugly.

• @joelgm so when are you releasing the script?

• Bookmarked this !
    Waiting for the release :)

• @Asim said:
    joelgm so when are you releasing the script?\

I'm interested ass well...