Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a large display phone / small tablet to use as an "e-reader" - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a large display phone / small tablet to use as an "e-reader"

2»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WebProject said:
    try Acer tablet, 10.6" is under £129

Maybe just me, but something that large can get uncomfortable for long reading sessions. For me, 8" is the sweet spot for reading comics.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Nekki said:

@WebProject said:

Maybe just me, but something that large can get uncomfortable for long reading sessions. For me, 8" is the sweet spot for reading comics.

Agree. Wouldn't want smth too large either. If I ride on bus/train it can be uncomfortable.

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Alright I guess I will read them then :P I've found out about JoJo when I bumped into an airing JoJo Series a couple months ago and I really liked Speedwagon haha :P
    If you wanna give me some more recommendations based on what I like you can checkout my MAL profile at mal.ympker.net :)
    I've already watched AoT (S1 only though)^^ I've heard about Gantz it's supposedly very good.

If you've only seen the stuff with Speedwagon in then you're in for a treat, the best is still to come.

I see you like your sports anime. I've been lost since Haikyu! finished, and I'm still waiting for the second season of Days. Clean Freak! has potential though- a germaphobe ex under-16 international footballer joins a school with a crap team simply because the school has nice toilets. The sort of mental story that you only get away with in anime.

Will add it to my plan to watch :P Have you watch Diamond no Ace? It's a really good sports anime, too. I also need to watch Slamdunk still^^

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:

Will add it to my plan to watch :P Have you watch Diamond no Ace? It's a really good sports anime, too. I also need to watch Slamdunk still^^

Ace of the Diamond was great, I just wish they'd have continued into the nationals!

I've got Slamdunk ready to watch too, as well as the slightly mental Buzzer Beater.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Ace of the Diamond was great, I just wish they'd have continued into the nationals!

I've got Slamdunk ready to watch too, as well as the slightly mental Buzzer Beater.

Anyone would have wished for that in Dia no Ace..Ive also felt soo bad for the third years :/
    Loved them all in the end^^

Buzzer Beater..Ive heard this one before. I also need to watch Eyeshield 21 and the also rather mental Baseball anime Major..

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:

Buzzer Beater..Ive heard this one before. I also need to watch Eyeshield 21 and the also rather mental Baseball anime Major..

I have watched some of Eyeshield, it wasn't bad but didn't really grab me either. I catch up a few episodes here and there but I usually manage to find something more interesting to watch.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Nekki said:

@WebProject said:

I know that it's too big for mobile, but the size is the screen is great for reading or watching movies.

Sorry, thought to correct myself as the size of Acer screen is 10.1, I just thought about other tablet.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@WebProject said:

@Nekki said:

@WebProject said:

I know that it's too big for mobile, but the size is the screen is great for reading or watching movies.

Sorry, thought to correct myself as the size of Acer screen is 10.1, I just thought about other tablet.

It's not actually great for reading for long periods, that's the point. Typically at that size tablets are either unwieldy or too heavy for reading for any serious length of time.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited July 2017

I would go for a used Nexus 7 tablet. It's small, it's cheap and most peoplenormies think its somehow broken because it gets slow after some years. But you can fix it with this shiny software here.

Price range: 10-50€

Con: afaik you can't change the battery so you're stuck on a used one.

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've read comics for 40+ years, but just have never got into manga...maybe I should...

Nekki said: It's not actually great for reading for long periods, that's the point. Typically at that size tablets are either unwieldy or too heavy for reading for any serious length of time.

I read on a full-sized iPad Pro and have no issues with the size...typically I'm reading on planes, in bed, or on the couch. I suppose if I was relaxing on a beach while cabana girls dangled grapes over my head (this is how I envision Nekki's lifestyle), it might be an issue.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    I've read comics for 40+ years, but just have never got into manga...maybe I should...

Nekki said: It's not actually great for reading for long periods, that's the point. Typically at that size tablets are either unwieldy or too heavy for reading for any serious length of time.

I read on a full-sized iPad Pro and have no issues with the size...typically I'm reading on planes, in bed, or on the couch. I suppose if I was relaxing on a beach while cabana girls dangled grapes over my head (this is how I envision Nekki's lifestyle), it might be an issue.

I need to save my wrist strength for 'other' activities.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: I need to save my wrist strength for 'other' activities.

Yeah, I understand...on TV, you can strangle a hooker in 30 seconds but you and I both know that in real life, it takes longer and requires more strength than most people realize.

This would make a good cracked.com article. "5 Common Misconceptions About Strangling Hookers"...

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
    edited July 2017

IMO Android is not good for tablets. I've an Android phone, my TV OS is Android, but Android tablets are disgusting, for real, if you want a real tablet experience, get an iPad.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@DigitalJosee said:
    IMO Android is not good for tablets. I've an Android phone, my TV OS is Android, but Android tablets are disgusting, for real, if you want a real tablet experience, get an iPad.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Fire tablets, other than a slightly shit App Store.

• Sorry to roll this all up again but Ive found my ipad rather too large to comfortably take with me and read. So which if the readers let me install various reader apps? Ive ebooks from Kobo and Weltbild and others. Can I read them all on a regular (kindle) reader or not since it is amazon only?

• Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/inkBOOK-Touchscreen-Display-e-book-Android/dp/B01C48BYLY/ . I have a kindle with an e ink display and they are so easy on the eyes. If you look around some will even have a back light to read in the dark.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:
    Sorry to roll this all up again but Ive found my ipad rather too large to comfortably take with me and read. So which if the readers let me install various reader apps? Ive ebooks from Kobo and Weltbild and others. Can I read them all on a regular (kindle) reader or not since it is amazon only?

If you have DRM free ebooks in .mobi or the usual document formats, you should be able to read them on a Kindle just fine. Anything else won’t work unless you a) remove the DRM and b) convert them into a suitable format.

I don’t think there’s such a thing as an e-reader that lets you install apps? I expect your only option is a tablet.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Maybe the Xiaomi MiPad 2 (or Mi Pad3) -- has a retina screen (possibly/likely the same as the one on an iPad Mini) http://www.mi.com/mipad2/ and http://www.mi.com/mipad3/

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2017

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:
    Sorry to roll this all up again but Ive found my ipad rather too large to comfortably take with me and read. So which if the readers let me install various reader apps? Ive ebooks from Kobo and Weltbild and others. Can I read them all on a regular (kindle) reader or not since it is amazon only?

If you have DRM free ebooks in .mobi or the usual document formats, you should be able to read them on a Kindle just fine. Anything else won’t work unless you a) remove the DRM and b) convert them into a suitable format.

I don’t think there’s such a thing as an e-reader that lets you install apps? I expect your only option is a tablet.

Yeah I tried transferring an ebook with epub format to icecreamapps ebook app for windows and wouldnt work due to drm either :/ So this means all epub format and paid ebooks with drm wont work on a kindle at all if bought from another shop than amazon (e.g. kobo, weltbild..)? Cant e-readers import legally purchased epub/ebooks no matter where I bought them?

• Ympker said: So this means all epub format and paid ebooks with drm wont work on a kindle at all if bought from another shop than amazon (e.g. kobo, weltbild..)?

Yup. You can potentially remove the DRM, but in most cases it'd probably be easier to just grab a DRM-free copy from your favourite 'Linux ISO' provider.

Ympker said: Cant e-readers import legally purchased epub/ebooks no matter where I bought them?

If they have DRM applied, no.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

Ympker said: So this means all epub format and paid ebooks with drm wont work on a kindle at all if bought from another shop than amazon (e.g. kobo, weltbild..)?

Yup. You can potentially remove the DRM, but in most cases it'd probably be easier to just grab a DRM-free copy from your favourite 'Linux ISO' provider.

Ympker said: Cant e-readers import legally purchased epub/ebooks no matter where I bought them?

If they have DRM applied, no.

Aww that sux :/ In this case does it make sense to tend towards an android tablet to be able to use various apps from various ebook sellers (kobo, tolino..)? They also had a kindle app I think?!

• I prefer to use calibre with plugins (ahem) so that I can read purchased books on whichever device I want.

Thanked by 2Ympker WSS
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Personally I prefer Kindle -eInk- for reading. Easy on the eyes, light weight, durable -have dropped it a few times with not even a scratch on it- and the battery lasts upto a week.

Pavin.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Kindle eInk is very delicate. I broke 3 by just putting a little pressure on the screen (went under pillow), so you need a very good cover.

• @Ympker said:

Aww that sux :/ In this case does it make sense to tend towards an android tablet to be able to use various apps from various ebook sellers (kobo, tolino..)? They also had a kindle app I think?!

Tablets are the way to go.

You can avoid spending money by ripping all the DRM off, but if you value time more than money, just grab a cheap android tablet.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

There is an android based ebook reader with eInk, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it is. It's kind of pointless, though, since you are still living with a semi-hungry CPU.

Personally, I'd suggest a Kindle Keyboard, and to hit up reddit and search for Calibre and PyCrypto. The Kindle Keyboard is the last of the eInk units that had audio until the very-latest generation, has 4G storage, plays MP3s, and has a built-in browser.

You should be able to find a Kindle Keyboard with free 3G and WiFi for around #50 or so these days.

Thanked by 1Ympker