Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to install cpanel on 512MB ram vps - step by step
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to install cpanel on 512MB ram vps - step by step

BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
edited July 2017 in Tutorials

recently, I needed cPanel for development and testing. cPanel needs whopping 2GB ram to install!

now cPanel don't really need 2GB ram to operate.

So how can you install cPanel on low ram (512MB vps)?

1. buy a vps with 512MB ram and centos 7/6(of course) with a provider which have hourly billing and you can Resize vps easily. (example: digialocean).
  2. resize it to 2GB ram. (CPU and RAM only - in digitalOcean droplet resize menu) (Don't resize disk, otherwise you cant downgrade it back)
  3. install cPanel now as you have 2GB ram.
  4. Once installed, power off your vps and downgrade ram back to 512MB.
  5. and there you go, now you have cPanel on 512MB vps.

It still had ~207MB ram available when idling (postgresql is also installed and running).

You can always add swap if you think this ram is not enough.

Comments

• just dont do that,
    you're wasting your time with 512 MB, even it install able it not recommended and wont works fast enough

• sibaper said: just dont do that, you're wasting your time with 512 MB, even it install able it not recommended and wont works fast enough

>

BecomeWebHost said: I needed cPanel for development and testing.

• And it works just fine, I don't face any slowness issue :p

• BecomeWebHost said: And it works just fine, I don't face any slowness issue :p

Good for you

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • Its good enough to run the cpanel only , what about websites and apps that will be hosted on the VPS. They are not going to work without ample amount of resources.

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited July 2017

@24x7csm said:
    Its good enough to run the cpanel only , what about websites and apps that will be hosted on the VPS. They are not going to work without ample amount of resources.

this what you have when you install a lamp stack (without any panel)

see available memory?
    lamp stack have 271MB available while cPanel have 207MB on same digitalOcean $5 droplet. so you will only have 64mb less ram with cPanel.

• 64MB of ram makes difference? _Yes! _
    • does it make difference when you have added swap to it? Not a big deal

basically you're getting almost same resources you would get if you install plain old lamp stack.

And I also have PostgreSQL running on cPanel server. when you install PostgreSQL in lamp, it will only have 254MB available ram.

• Just install it in $1 1gb ram vps

• @robohost said:
    Just install it in $1 1gb ram vps

Good Idea! lol :D

• sarahsarah Member

What license are you using? Do they have a free trial or valuation license for dev test?

• @sarah said:
    What license are you using? Do they have a free trial or valuation license for dev test?

I have development licence.

• defaultdefault Veteran

I am not a fan of wasting resources or trying to trick commercial products. I am a fan of good old open-source software with wise usage of resources. I vote for that good old fashioned LEMP on a 512MB machine.

• [...]

There a reason the 768M ram and 1.5G swap (EL6) minimums are too high?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

default said: I vote for that good old fashioned LEMP on a 512MB machine.

i thought i read it as he's doing cpanel development work so of course he needs to use cpanel.

if you're just doing development work for non-production environments hostus.us has 2GB OpenVZ VPS yearly VPS for $35/yr in the past. I picked up 5x 2GB 50GB OpenVZ VPS for $25/yr each for centmin mod related testing and stuff :) Some of my Centmin Mod users reported as time goes by more resource contention, but been fine for me though centmin mod install times have increased since the initial benchmarks I posted at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/hostus-us-holiday-deals-2gb-openvz-vps-25-yr.9874/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BecomeWebHost said: Good Idea! lol :D

Actually, it was a good idea.

BecomeWebHost said: basically you're getting almost same resources you would get if you install plain old lamp stack.

Until you get traffic...

nginx w/php-fpm will scale much further than cPanel + Apache.

People run forums (quite sizable ones like freevps.us) on 128MB LEBs...you don't be doing that with cPanel.

BecomeWebHost said: And I also have PostgreSQL running on cPanel server. when you install PostgreSQL in lamp, it will only have 254MB available ram.

And very few people who run LAMP stacks will do that. They'll install either MySQL or Pg depending on what they need, but not both. cPanel is geared for "we want to offer everything to everyone" which is not what most non-cPanel users are doing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BecomeWebHost said: cPanel needs whopping 2GB ram to install!

No it doesn't - the docs say 1GB minimum, or 768 if you're running CentOS 6.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Installation+Guide+-+System+Requirements

• HxxxHxxx Member

cPanel license $15.00/mo

VPS with 512MB 0.00-5/mo

LET LOGIC

• FaiziFaizi Member

He's running it for development, not production. Let him play with it.

Thanked by 2BecomeWebHost imok
  • @raindog308 In fact, it was on a 64 mb VPS at one point. cPanel isn't nearly as optimized as a plain ol' LEMP stack.

• romeoiromeoi Member

thank you for the help

• LeeLee Veteran

You're welcome, 2 years later we are still here to help.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thanked by 3skorous ma2t uptime
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

Holy Necro!
    Best bit for me, is there's a command line switch during install, for lower memory prerequisite - I used it for DNS Only installations.