Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec blocking port 25 outbound by default
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec blocking port 25 outbound by default

As the title suggest, Dacentec is now blocking outbound port 25 by default on new servers and IP address allocations.

I found this out the hard way yesterday when I was configuring a cPanel server and noticed that all of the emails were sitting in queue. I tested inbound emails and they were working just fine, but anything outgoing was blocked. Being this is a VPS on a new host node I tested telnetting to one of our other servers with the firewalls disabled and were still not able to connect, then tested it from the host node to make sure it was not something with the VPS and the test failed also..

So after about 2 hours of testing I decided to email support and find out if they were blocking it.. Here is their reply.

Hello,

Port 25 is blocked by default on our network to prevent SPAM and abusive behavior.

We can lift the block if needed.

Can you please provide a copy of your AUP / TOS?

Sincerely,
Support

So I emailed them back telling them the links to my TOS and AUP and asked them to unblock ALL ports that they block by default.

No where have I seen anything to suggest that port 25 was blocked by default, nor have any of the servers I have ordered from them in the past had port 25 blocked. I guess it might be listed in their TOS now but I didn't read it to find out.

So just be warned ahead of time when ordering from them.. Luckly this was being used for internal sites and not for clients otherwise it would have looked bad on my part for not knowing the port was blocked.

Comments

• I wish more hosts did this (with clearer notice, as you alluded to though).

• @Microlinux said:
    I wish more hosts did this (with clearer notice, as you alluded to though).

I agree... As long as they are forthcoming about it so I am not trying to troubleshoot the problem and wasting my time.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    I wish more hosts did this (with clearer notice, as you alluded to though).

Doubt it would solve anything, spammers would just move to the "less" hosts that still don't block it. The only real reason to block for the host would be to get less complaints.

• Redstation blocks port 25 and requires all dedicated server owners to use their mail relay server and they put a cap of 500 daily emails from the main server IP and 100 daily emails from each additional IP

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2013

@perennate said:
    Doubt it would solve anything, spammers would just move to the "less" hosts that still don't block it. The only real reason to block for the host would be to get less complaints.

Using that logic we shouldn't have police since people would just go commit crimes where there are no police.

You do what you can, and there are most certainly reasons to do it other than to get less complaints.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@DomainBop

You only mentioned dedicated server, is it the same for their VPS?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:

Um no, you realize the digital and physical world aren't the same, right?