Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ProvisionHost.com - Toronto, Canada VPS Special - Up to 10 Free IPv4 IPs! - buyers beware - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ProvisionHost.com - Toronto, Canada VPS Special - Up to 10 Free IPv4 IPs! - buyers beware

2»

Comments

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited November 2013

That is correct. All of their WHOIS info is incorrect and their website is outdated.

They need to fix that :) ICANN ticket ID ZVI-323-88835

Here is the new owner's info for those who are interested:

Apparently there are 2 owners: Ryan and Matt. There are some good quotes on this thread starting about November 6th:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/69902-awesome-minecraft-hosting-ddos-protection/page__st__1580

Here's a couple of Ryan Morgan's sites:

mobileaxiom.com -web design, consulting

virtualprivateinternet.com deadpooled VPN provider (short life: launched in February)
    LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/virtual-private-internet
    company name VPI Networks LLC
    Facebook https://www.facebook.com/VirtualPrivateInternet?filter=2

...and here's the other owner Matt Reid:
    http://themattreid.com/wordpress/
    http://myip.ms/view/ip_owners/191258/Matt_Reid.html
    https://bitbucket.org/themattreid

• earl said: This seems to be pretty typical of Canada.. Two host I was with made a runner another closed the service even thought it was for a yearly deal..

No it isn't "typical of Canada", it's symptomatic of the industry, not the country. And as a Canadian I think it's a pretty shitty thing to say.

• Giving away up to 10 IPv4 for that price is already unsustainable.

• sleddog said: No it isn't "typical of Canada", it's symptomatic of the industry, not the country. And as a Canadian I think it's a pretty shitty thing to say.

Agreed on this one. Do not take it out on all of the people just because some are jerks.

• I would like to clarify that the "Brandon" that used to run PH did a good job. It just seems like he made a mistake in who he sold it to.

• omz1omz1 Member
    edited November 2013

@fizzyjoe908 said:
    I would like to clarify that the "Brandon" that used to run PH did a good job. It just seems like he made a mistake in who he sold it to.

Yeah I agree that is it was a huge mistake on how he sold it, but he had to.

For everyone that received that ticket, I apologize. I wish there was something I can do, but unfortunately, after what happened; I can't do anything anymore. Also, Matt does not work with Provision Host anymore, he passed it on to Ryan 9 days ago. I had a chat with Marius on Skype today.

Skype Chat: http://pastebin.com/qKwn252U

I was really surprised that Ryan did this, along with all his other foolish mistakes that Ryan and Matt made in the past 2 months. Brandon did a fantastic job running Provision Host and I wish he was still with them to assist you guys further. You guys can see why I quit because of the horrible mistakes that Ryan and Matt were making. If I was still there, I would have tried as much as I can to stop them from doing this; but unfortunately I only have contact with Marius now.

I highly suggest you submit a ticket regarding this and try to get a pro-rated refund for the months you did not receive the service you paid for, because this was not an invalid coupon code.

Regards,

Omid, Former Provision Host Manager

Email: [email protected]

• @sleddog said:

yeah im in canada and i try to be patriotic and buy from canadian co.. but the way its working i seem to get screwed! pretty much ever canadian hosting i have been with have made a dissappearance one way or another..then again this is my personal experience so no need to take offense..

• @AuroraZ said:

yes maybe i could have phrased it better.. i dont mean canada as a whole

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited November 2013

earl said: yeah im in canada and i try to be patriotic and buy from canadian co.. but the way its working i seem to get screwed! pretty much ever canadian hosting i have been with have made a dissappearance one way or another..then again this is my personal experience so no need to take offense..

OK, if you're Canadian you're allowed to bash Canadian providers :)

And your search is over.... https://www.lfchosting.com/vps-plans/

Not only Canadian, but the best VPS provider I've every used, period. (And I'm well into year 2 with them). Go Xen.

Thanked by 2earl Maounique
  • earl said: yes maybe i could have phrased it better.. i dont mean canada as a whole

I did not really think you had meant that. Just pointing out it sounded like that is all. You seem like a good guy and so are most of the people here. Even @sleddog is a good guy even if he sounds a bit grumpy at times. :-)

I am kind of skeptical you guys will see a dime of your money back. If they have changed the promo they more then likely will not refund you either. Hate to say it but you guys may be screwed in the end.......

Thanked by 1earl
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2013

I doubt that raising a ticket for a pro rata refund is going to get you anywhere, they bought the host and managed to overlook the fact many customers were on a pre paid annual plan. Pretty basic due diligence failure there.

So they are charging $24.95 to make the money they thought they were going to.

• Username Brandon   Joined March 2012   Visits 1,744   Last Active 12:25PM

How 'bout an update @Brandon?

• Why would you buy a company and then do this? Talk about now doing your due diligence..

Stick to well know VPS providers and you won't have these kind of problems. If you need something in Canada checkout MyCustomHosting or LFC.

• @nunim said:
    Stick to well know VPS providers and you won't have these kind of problems. If you need something in Canada checkout MyCustomHosting

How this make any sense? ProvisionHost were more known than MyCustomHosting with few OVH nodes.
    LFC is different story of course.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited November 2013

@sleddog said:

@earl said:
    This seems to be pretty typical of Canada.. Two host I was with made a runner another closed the service even thought it was for a yearly deal..

Also bear in mind that when Brandon (who I assume is based in Canada) was running the shop, it went pretty well, it was only after he sold it to two Americans (granted a public announcement should have been made but it is generally up to the discretion of the new owners) that they basically sank the ship.

So if anything, it wasn't Canadians who made ProvisionHost the way it is now.

Note: By no means I want to start a "Canadians are great, Americans not" type of argument, just stating some facts and honestly it is so much tougher for Canadian low end VPS business to stay afloat because of the higher bandwidth and power costs (and less volume in general). I mean yes, BHS is cheap but how many of you would really be THAT happy with OVH services?

• I'm just waiting for the ProvisionHost Refugee offers... :)

• I mean yes, BHS is cheap but how many of you would really be THAT happy with OVH services?

I'm very happy with my OVH services (dedicated servers in France) but I would never buy a VPS from anyone who is renting their servers from OVH because OVH has a long history of shutting down VPS providers for abuse, tossing their servers into rescue mode or canceling the servers.

Instead of blaming Canadians or Americans, why don't we just blame "people who have limited experience running a business". The new owner doesn't exactly have a sparkling track record. His last venture, a VPN provider, deadpooled in less than a year. :)

• DomainBop said: but I would never buy a VPS from anyone who is renting their servers from OVH

This...since we are talking about a VPS provider here, I think this applies to most of us.

DomainBop said: Instead of blaming Canadians or Americans, why don't we just blame "people who have limited experience running a business".

Agree as well, I was just trying to make a point on what @earl has said

@sleddog said:
    I'm just waiting for the ProvisionHost Refugee offers... :)

Very unlikely for servers in Peer1, probably BHS

• Looks like I'm going to have to raise a support ticket with these guys - wish me luck....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

zhuanyi said: Also bear in mind that when Brandon (who I assume is based in Canada) was running the shop, it went pretty well, it was only after he sold it to two Americans

DomainBop said: Instead of blaming Canadians or Americans

Gee, people, last time I checked Canada was in America, even more, in North America...
    So, yeah, Canadians are Americans too.
    That said a crook is a crook, has no nationality, religion or color. Same as for the good people.

• ReeceReece Member
    edited November 2013

@sleddog said:
    I'm just waiting for the ProvisionHost Refugee offers... :)

Hehe :)

For those who may want to find another provider I'll offer the following package in Clifton, New Jersey: its not in Toronto sadly we have no intentions of being there but do have a great bandwidth mix on the East coast!

4 CPU Cores @ 2.4Ghz | 50GB Storage | 3000GB BW @ 1Gbps | 2 IPv4

$3.50/Month -- $17.00/6Mo -- $ 25.00/12Mo

Additional IP's are $0.50/Each a month.

Looking Glass is here: http://199.36.221.51/index.php

For those interested you will have to shoot me a PM.

Edit: Resources are dedicated by the way!

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@zhuanyi said:

Also bear in mind that when Brandon (who I assume is based in Canada) was running the shop, it went pretty well, it was only after he sold it to two Americans (granted a public announcement should have been made but it is generally up to the discretion of the new owners) that they basically sank the ship.

Agree as well, I was just trying to make a point on what @earl has said

Hmm.. not sure how you can say that Brandon is not responsible for this.. he created a pump and dump co. probably fully realizing that this offer is not sustainable, maybe he had a bigger plan that did not pan out, who knows but essentially this is the results of his actions.

When everyone is giving him $48/yr I'm sure it was quite easy to pay the bills and create the facade that the co is making money!

Essentially he did the same thing as making a run for it, except he suckered the new owners into taking responsibility for his actions.. no different then say what Ben from RackVM did except he passed the buck and the blame to the new owners.

Did Brandon even send clients news of this new ownership? if he had righteous intent I would think that that would be the thing to do. If not then I would assume he is trying to sneak his way out..

I'm not sure how profitable the co is now.. but for what it's worth, I'm sure it easier for Brandon to run a smooth operation when he had all that funds from the yearly deal.. now I'm guessing the new owners is doing damage control which I don't think will be so easy.

And this thing about Canada.. as I said before, yes! I could have been more specific but I thought it was implied when I started ranting about the hosting industry that I was not speaking of canada as a whole.. Again this is my personal experience and maybe yours is different but I have not had any luck going with a canadian co for hosting.. I mean you can call crap what ever you like, but it still don't change the fact that it stinks!

• Maounique said: Gee, people, last time I checked Canada was in America, even more, in North America... So, yeah, Canadians are Americans too.

Oh god, let's not start this again :)

• @Spirit said:

You should remove order link, untill you see what they do to the price.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • Reece said: 4 CPU Cores @ 2.4Ghz | 50GB Storage | 3000GB BW @ 1Gbps | 2 IPv4

What's the RAM?

• sleddog said: @Maounique said: Gee, people, last time I checked Canada was in America, even more, in North America... So, yeah, Canadians are Americans too.

Oh god, let's not start this again :)

Canadians fought the War of 1821 to ensure that we won't be labelled as Americans :)

It is unfortunate that the US decided to add the name of the continent in the name of their own country though :)

• zhuanyi said: It is unfortunate that the US decided to add the name of the continent in the name of their own country though :)

They seem to have a problem coming up with original names and like to borrow others.... New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, New Orleans... :)

• sleddog said: They seem to have a problem coming up with original names and like to borrow others.... New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, New Orleans... :)

LOL...

Back to topic, I think the only provider that really lasted for a long time was LFCVPS in Canada, and their last LEB offer in Montreal still seems to be valid and it is not with BHS:

http://lowendbox.com/blog/loose-foot-computing-lfcvps-29-40yearly-xen-pv-montreal-denver/

However there is no mention on how much extra IPv4 would cost.

• @Maounique said:
    Gee, people, last time I checked Canada was in America, even more, in North America... So, yeah, Canadians are Americans too.

Mexico and Greenland are also considered to be part of North America. If Canadians are Americans then Greenlanders should definitely be considered to be Americans too since Greenland's original inhabitants migrated to it from Nunavut, Canada 4000-4500 years ago... :P

disclosure #1: my grandfather immigrated to the US from Canada so in his case a Canadian was an American too :P
    disclosure #2: I spent a week in Nunavut in 1998. :P

//end of troll

Back to topic, Servarica provides Xen VPS's out of Cologix in Montreal and the reviews have been favorable.

• Heads up guys, it would appear that the new owner is not an asshole like Brandon. He apologized and issued a refund.