Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

do you know how to add glue records? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

do you know how to add glue records?

2»

Comments

• BecomeWebHostBecomeWebHost Member
    edited July 2017

@yokowasis said:
    For example my domain is example.com

Should I add Glue record for
    ns1.example.com 1.2.3.4
    ns2.example.com 1.2.3.4

AND A Record for
    ns1.example.com 1.2.3.4
    ns2.example.com 1.2.3.4

Or only Glue Record is enough

@pixahex said:

@yokowasis said:
    is Glue record different than A record ?

Yes, it is different.

Basically,
    Glue records = Child Name Servers = Hostname
    All different domain registrars are using different words!

@yokowasis said:
    How do you add glue record ? or every provider automagically add glue record for every a record begin with "ns" ? Right now I am using cloudflare, does it support glue record ?

Glue records are generally can only be added from domain registrar's panel. (not cloudflare, although you can still use cloudflare).

Glue records are only required when you're using whm reseller and you want to create custom nameservers for your clients. (ns1.yourdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com)

Goto your domain registrar, Click on Child Name Servers / Hostname / Glue records option.

And just add it like this:

So now I can give my clients ns1.pixahex.com and ns2.pixahex.com instead using provider's white label nameservers(ns1.privatens.com, ns2.privatens.com)

yokowasis said: Do I need to add A record in addition to glue record ? or the glue record is enough.

>

Glue record is not A record so both are required

If you just want to use it for reseller hosting with whm, you just need to

yokowasis said: add Glue record for ns1.example.com 1.2.3.4 ns2.example.com 1.2.3.4

and then forward your nameservers to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com > rest is handled by our panel.

• Are you finish your panel? It seems interesting ..

• rumi4 said: Are you finish your panel? It seems interesting ..

under development. will launch within 3 months max.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@yokowasis said:

@sarah said:

@yokowasis said:
    How do you add glue record ? or every provider automagically add glue record for every a record begin with "ns" ? Right now I am using cloudflare, does it support glue record ?

A glue record is only needed if your domain's DNS server is made reachable from a subdomain of the same domain. Like if example.com's DNS server is ns.example.com.

For cloudflare, it is the nameserver of your domain (usually). So, you don't need glue records there.

Do I need to add A record in addition to glue record ? or the glue record is enough.

I could have sworn that I shared my opinion on this several months ago (in this thread).

You don't have to, but it's still a good idea. As @sarah said, it's just a way for the outside nameservers to find your nameserver, if you're serving it from your own domain.

If you want to look up yokowasis.com, and it's on ns1.yojowasis.com, the glue record tells the root servers where to tell you where to go.

A rather poor analogy would be "Can't look for the house until you're on the street it resides on."

I strongly suggest adding A records, because that just makes it easier to manage and maintain.

@BecomeWebHost said:

rumi4 said: Are you finish your panel? It seems interesting ..

I highly suggest against putting timestamps on things that should be available "Any time now". Just ask @nik.

Thanked by 1BecomeWebHost
  • @WSS said:

@yokowasis said:

@sarah said:

@yokowasis said:

A glue record is only needed if your domain's DNS server is made reachable from a subdomain of the same domain. Like if example.com's DNS server is ns.example.com.

For cloudflare, it is the nameserver of your domain (usually). So, you don't need glue records there.

Do I need to add A record in addition to glue record ? or the glue record is enough.

I could have sworn that I shared my opinion on this several months ago (in this thread).

You don't have to, but it's still a good idea. As @sarah said, it's just a way for the outside nameservers to find your nameserver, if you're serving it from your own domain.

If you want to look up yokowasis.com, and it's on ns1.yojowasis.com, the glue record tells the root servers where to tell you where to go.

A rather poor analogy would be "Can't look for the house until you're on the street it resides on."

I strongly suggest adding A records, because that just makes it easier to manage and maintain.

@BecomeWebHost said:

rumi4 said: Are you finish your panel? It seems interesting ..

I highly suggest against putting timestamps on things that should be available "Any time now". Just ask @nik.

You share your opinion on my thread. This aint my thread.

• WSS said: I highly suggest against putting timestamps on things that should be available "Any time now". Just ask @nik.

would love to read about adventure of and nik if you have any thread id or may be you can pm me :)

• may be... this can be closed as I have already made decision for poll.

• WSSWSS Member

@BecomeWebHost said:

WSS said: I highly suggest against putting timestamps on things that should be available "Any time now". Just ask @nik.

would love to read about adventure of and nik if you have any thread id or may be you can pm me :)

I don't talk shit behind people's back- I prefer to do it to their face. Poor Nik was one of those folks that got screwed by VirtKick last year. His panel will be out any day now (tm).