Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need beta testers - Get a free KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need beta testers - Get a free KVM

vishvish Member

I'm writing a proxmox module for use with boxbilling for fun. When done, I plan on releasing it to the public domain. I need some beta testers to help me test my code. In return for your help, I am offering use of the KVM completely free for the duration of development which will last anywhere from 2-12 months. I am only opening this offer to LET members with 1+ years active account in good standing with 25+ comments.

As a beta tester you can load any iso on the KVM that I make available via the client area. If you don't see the iso you need, just open a ticket on my site and I will add it to the system. I'm looking for feedback about general usability, security issues or vulnerabilities you may encounter, and feature requests.

The specifications of the KVM are as follows:
-1 vCore i5-3570S (Fair Share)
-1GB RAM
-100GB HDD (NO RAID)
-Linux/Windows OS
-10Mbit/s Unmetered Bandwidth
-1 NAT IPv4, 1 Dediated IPv6
-Anti-DDoS
-Canada BHS Datacenter

You must accept the Kimsufi ToS which you can read here https://kimsufi.com/us/en/termsofservice/

In order to participate, create an account and order at https://www.vish.gq and then PM me back here on the forums with the email address used to create the account.

Disclaimer: I am not a provider

Thanked by 1justin4869

Comments

• looks like a recent KS4C summer hosting?

• vishvish Member

yes, the host node is the 8.99 kimsufi KS-3C offer from a while back. It was idling.. putting it to good use haha

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited July 2017

I wish I could sign up but than my account isn't a year old.. D:

• vishvish Member

@Edmond said:
    I signed up, well probably because it's free. ^.^

Wondering what's going to happen now. :)

Only making this available to LET members with 1+ years account. Sorry Edmond.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@vish said:

@Edmond said:
    I signed up, well probably because it's free. ^.^

Wondering what's going to happen now. :)

Only making this available to LET members with 1+ years account. Sorry Edmond.

Noticed that like a minute after, when I reread it. D:

• my account is only half a year old

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Poor kimsufi dedi... It will die by the load caused.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • vishvish Member

@Radi said:

yah, that's another aspect I'd like to test.. how many KVM can it handle? hehe

• @vish

Signed up, first thing I don't like is that you're sending passwords in plain text, and there's a little bug I'd like for you to fix.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

How much RAM did it have? @vish

• vishvish Member

@Radi said:
    How much RAM did it have? @vish

16GB

• @Radi said:

• vishvish Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    @vish

Signed up, first thing I don't like is that you're sending passwords in plain text, and there's a little bug I'd like for you to fix.

the password in plain-text is built into boxbilling lol. Removed this so password is no longer in plain-text emails.

• @vish

You've correctly setup the IPv6 address for the host, but for virtual machines the IPv6 addresses are unreachable.

• vishvish Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    @vish

You've correctly setup the IPv6 address for the host, but for virtual machines the IPv6 addresses are unreachable.

Check the activation email, it has all the pertinent IPv6 info for your static IPv6

• Count me in :)

• @vish

Oh, silly me, I forgot to add the IPv6 details into the network config. Sorry :p

• I'm more than a year old, but I don't have 25+ quality comments (since I'm your average silent readers). Keep moving on~

• ehabehab Member

interesting to know how it goes... signedup. Thank you.

• vishvish Member

I have 8 KVM's on this node right now and I don't want to add anymore until I know how it handles 2 users per core.

If you didn't get a chance to signup yet, don't fret. I'm adding another node to test migration and backup so just hang tight until I get it online.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Boxbilling hasn't seen any significant updates in two years. Backing the wrong horse here ;)

• vishvish Member

@jarland said:
    Boxbilling hasn't seen any significant updates in two years. Backing the wrong horse here ;)

you are exactly right. the potential security holes scare me the most, but it's the only free hosting solution I know of. Is there anything else free?

• PwnerPwner Member

I'm more interested to see what happens when you shove more than 4 running instances on a Kimsufi, especially considering it's a single SATA HDD that generally has plenty of used hours on it.

• WinneWinne Member

@Pwner said:
    I'm more interested to see what happens when you shove more than 4 running instances on a Kimsufi, especially considering it's a single SATA HDD that generally has plenty of used hours on it.

It will be a shit show.

• vishvish Member

@Winne said:

@Pwner said:

It will be a shit show.

So far it's not that bad. Here are the graphs for the last 24 hours with 10 KVM running. I'm sure it will go up over time though.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • PwnerPwner Member

@vish said:
    So far it's not that bad. Here are the graphs for the last 24 hours with 10 KVM running. I'm sure it will go up over time though.

I'm quite surprised at how stable it's currently running. If it wasn't for the risk of no RAID/all burden on a single HDD, and the nature of "it's a dev box", it wouldn't be so bad to host for cheap prices.

• vishvish Member

@Pwner said:
    I'm quite surprised at how stable it's currently running. If it wasn't for the risk of no RAID/all burden on a single HDD, and the nature of "it's a dev box", it wouldn't be so bad to host for cheap prices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are a few already here on LET that do. @exception0x876 comes to mind for one.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@vish said:

@Winne said:

@Pwner said:

It will be a shit show.

Just wondering, what happens when ram reaches 100%?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2017

@qtwrk said:

@vish said:

@Winne said:

@Pwner said:

It will be a shit show.

Just wondering, what happens when ram reaches 100%?

If he has a swap partition setup, it'll swap. (the horror!)

Apart from that, imagine a car being stopped immediately while it's going 120 km/h. Processes will begin to be blocked from running, get killed, and other bad stuff.

• vishvish Member

@doghouch said:
    If he has a swap partition setup, it'll swap. (the horror!)

Exactly. I turned off the swap on the node because I noticed that it was using the swap partition even though the system never hit 50% memory usage, must be a bug or something.

Anyway, with 10 KVM running the most memory it has used was around 11.something GB before the KSM kicked in and started optimizing static blocks.

The problem with this node is by far the CPU as there are only 4 cores and a possibility of 10 threads occurring which would result in 2.5 threads per core if everyone decided to use max CPU all at once. However, this scenario has yet to occur.

I will continue to monitor and post regular updates here for those of you who are curious about how this dedi performs.

I am working on bringing up another node that will host only LXC containers so I can get a comprehensive picture of how LXC compares to KVM. My guess is that the LXC node would be able to handle 20 containers if not the for 16GB server limit. We will see....