Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GetKVM doesn't want to remove my account - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GetKVM doesn't want to remove my account

2»

Comments

• @DalComp said:
    No, it is logical to keep clients data as most countries would require proper documentation for tax purposes.

A handy little chart for the UK on data retention laws:
    https://www.watsonhall.com/methodology/uk-data-retention-requirements.pl

Webhosting companies are generally considered ISPs under the laws of most countries and this article goes into more depth on the data retention requirements.:
    http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/tmt--sourcing/data-protection/data-retention-laws-what-they-mean-for-communication-service-providers/

I'm actually shocked that the UK based ex-SwiftVM partner ran a hosting company and yet was seemingly unaware of basic business requirements like data retention laws. Offering VPS's with SSDs and high dd/ ioping scores is nice, but if a host isn't up to speed on the non-technical aspects of running a business they'll probably end up in the deadpool (or in some cases already did)

@sundaymouse said:
    But anyway, no matter how they defend themselves, GetKVM's credibility is dropped.

I'll disagree.

• Don't know about the UK, but here in the US, you can keep paper records.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited July 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said:
    At the end of the day, these are the terms you agreed to upon sign up. http://getkvm.com/policies/terms-of-service.pdf.

And for the record, if you would have requested cancellation prior to the due date, you would not have been tied in. Cancelling (Or not in your case) after the due date, ties you in as i have to leave your server occupying space that could be used for other customers until you decide to cancel.

How long do you actually keep their server on after non-payment? Seems like you terminate after 4 days of non-payment. And how would formally canceling his service, "not tied him in" and enabled him to remove his data if you are required to store it?

You terms are unclear at best, as it states cancellation requests must be made 24 hours before the invoice is due, yet in the next paragraph you require 30 days advance notice for cancellation.

@DomainBop said:
    Webhosting companies are generally considered ISPs under the laws of most countries and this article goes into more depth on the data retention requirements.: http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/tmt--sourcing/data-protection/data-retention-laws-what-they-mean-for-communication-service-providers/

This article states at the top, "It should be noted that the 2009 Regulations only apply to public communications providers who have received a written notice by the Secretary of State in accordance with the 2009 Regulations." and I doubt that "GetKVM" has received such written notice.

Also, I can't find anything that says subscriber data must be kept for 5 years. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/859/regulation/5/made <-- 12 months.

• dnwkdnwk Member

I have forgot to cancel VPS.net about 2 times and they void my invoice with no question asked.

• @sundaymouse said:
    But anyway, no matter how they defend themselves, GetKVM's credibility is dropped.

I read nothing on this thread to draw an inference of that sort. Customer A forgot to cancel invoice and was billed though he didn't use the service. Provider was asked for cancellation long after the invoice was due. The provider is within his rights to ask for payment since it is not his responsibility that the customer did not use the service for which he was invoiced.

Every provider here sends invoice in advance, and the customer gets an email notification. If he does not intend to use the service, it's the norm to cancel the service either immediately, or "at the end of the billing period". I always choose the latter whenever I intend to discontinu

If the customer forgot to cancel his service, he can request the provider explaining the circumstances. From what I read here, GetKVM's attitude seems professional.

• rds100rds100 Member

Unfortunately deleting former client's data can't be done - it is required to keep this data for some time for tax purposes and law enforcement purposes. The data can be deleted only if you were never really a client, i.e. if your order didn't go through, you didn't pay and didn't get a service. If a payment was made or service was provided - the data identifying the customer must be kept for several years after that.

• Even if Ash would remove it, the details would still be in all his backups so the OP wouldn't benefit from it anyway. But I'm with Ash for keeping the details. He has every reason to.

• Too professional is good. :)

• Asking to remove data seems to suggest that somewhere in the data, there may be some sort of malicious activity.

• @joelgm said:
    Asking to remove data seems to suggest that somewhere in the data, there may be some sort of malicious activity.

Fraud possibly who knows!

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited July 2013

@joelgm said:
    Asking to remove data seems to suggest that somewhere in the data, there may be some sort of malicious activity.

Not all the time.. I get where providers are coming from most definitely. But I tend to be paranoid about my data.. what if your information is leaked all over from a hack? Jeez that's great I suppose. I don't know..

This guy definitely took the wrong approach though.

• rds100rds100 Member

@David_P does the phone company, electricity company, cable TV company, etc. have your data? What if it gets leaked all over from a hack? I doubt your phone company would agree to delete your details from their systems, or to delete your call records, etc.

The ISPs are like utilities and they need to operate in a similar fashion and also comply with regulations, accounting rules, etc. And yes, i class the VPS providers as ISPs since they are providing Internet Services after all.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
    David_P does the phone company, electricity company, cable TV company, etc. have your data? What if it gets leaked all over from a hack? I doubt your phone company would agree to delete your details from their systems, or to delete your call records, etc.

The ISPs are like utilities and they need to operate in a similar fashion and also comply with regulations, accounting rules, etc. And yes, i class the VPS providers as ISPs since they are providing Internet Services after all.

It's just another chance increase of my data being leaked.

Id much rather Google/Comcast have my information than someone else that is only a three man band.. It's really different.

I'm sure some of the providers here are "loose" on regulations no?

I get both sides though.

• Im now being told, that the service was deleted, however an outstanding invoice is still to pay, am I being expected to pay for a service that I no longer have access to? That makes no sense.

In whatever case, the posts in regards to data leak is the exact reason I don't want to have my details on an electronic system from a company I no longer do any sort of personal business with.

@JoelGM how does this ever equate to fraud or malicious activity? How about a client who is concerned about fraud and would rather their personal information not be potentially leaked around the web.

In any case, this thread is done in my eyes.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sigh.... stop wasting my life pls...

• SpiritSpirit Member

Closed - per thread starter's request.

This discussion has been closed.