Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New All-In-One Gameserver Control Panel - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New All-In-One Gameserver Control Panel

13»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@CConner said:
    I am going to be offering self-hosted solutions, however there is still some dependency on my servers then for the licensing. Lets say my server goes offline for whatever reason, then the control panels try to verify the license and they fail to do so, how to handle this? Have it make multiple attempts before it shuts down the control panel? How does WHCMS
    or any other platform handle this?

It normally graces it for X amount of time / checks before it locks stuff out.

Thanked by 1CConner
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

CConner said: How does WHCMS or any other platform handle this?

WHMCS relies primarily on a public license checker where anybody can enter a domain to verify whether it's licensed to use WHMCS. I don't know exactly what there is in the software itself, but it's the public license checker that really makes the difference; evidence that a provider is using it without a license is pretty much instant reputation death on any reputable platform.

Thanked by 2Clouvider CConner
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

joepie91 said: WHMCS relies primarily on a public license checker where anybody can enter a domain to verify whether it's licensed to use WHMCS. I don't know exactly what there is in the software itself, but it's the public license checker that really makes the difference; evidence that a provider is using it without a license is pretty much instant reputation death on any reputable platform.

Alright, I will implement that as well. Thanks for mentioning it.

• swainswain Member

I'd check out your ticket page on the demo. Not off to a great start here man.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited July 2017

Offer both solutions @CConner. Is common for the self hosted to be more expensive. Make it expensive so that only a serious customer will get that code.

For the pennies a month, SaaS. Problem solved.

Solutions like Kayako are way more expensive for self hosted than SaaS.

swain said: I'd check out your ticket page on the demo. Not off to a great start here man.

I will look into fixing this, however no damage can be done as this is a private page, only rendering for that specific customer.

Hxxx said: Offer both solutions @CConner. Is common for the self hosted to be more expensive. Make it expensive so that only a serious customer will get that code.

For the pennies a month, SaaS. Problem solved.

Solutions like Kayako are way more expensive for self hosted than SaaS.

It costs me less to give it out to people. If it is hosted by me, it will consume server resources. I thought about bundling it with VDS's and dedicated servers we will sell.

edited July 2017

CConner said: swain said: I'd check out your ticket page on the demo. Not off to a great start here man.

I will look into fixing this, however no damage can be done as this is a private page, only rendering for that specific customer.

Was a really easy fix, was using .html instead of .text. Lesson learned.

• HxxxHxxx Member

By any means if it cost you less, then thats the end of discussion there. Self hosted it is.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Also get the code audited. Make sure no rookie mistakes were made.

edited July 2017

Hxxx said: Also get the code audited. Make sure no rookie mistakes were made.

I will look in to it, forgot to check simple exploits like that, focused on the "big" exploits like SQL injection etc.

edited July 2017

Hxxx said: By any means if it cost you less, then thats the end of discussion there. Self hosted it is.

Well, unless some people want to pay a bit extra for it to be hosted us, then it is fine. I'd imagine small companies / communities would want this so they don't have to go through the hassle of setting up everything themselves.

edited July 2017

This is the home page of our website, and the new control panel look will borrow a bit from that as well:

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said:

@teamacc said:

@joepie91 said:
    3. Non-commercial 'unskilled' pirates, typically unable to afford the software; they will get their cracked copies from groups 1 and 2, and they weren't going to buy your software anyway.

I agree with most of what you're saying, however, I have to highlight this sentence.

As the intended users of this product will be supplying services to the public, and as they're not paying for it, they'll be able to offer it at lower cost, cutting that group out by keeping it as SaaS might keep more end-users with the people that actually pay for the software to begin with, instead of "every summer host using a nulled whmcs".

No serious business will run pirated billing/management software. Which means that the only potential 'customers' you lose are the summerhosts that would have otherwise purchased a license, which is 1) a tiny group (it's not like the average summerhost cares about control panel quality too much, so there are plenty free options), and 2) not a profitable group (they're small, and go out of business fast).

Hell, there's a good chance that they might be unprofitable to have as a customer purely due to the high support demand they are likely to introduce, while running a small operation and therefore not paying you very much in the first place. I wouldn't consider it a great loss to not have these providers as customers

@pbgben said:

@Hxxx said:
    The silicon valley vision : SaaS . Sometimes is just hard to trust. Summary: show me the code.

But thats the thing, SAAS means less time to develop as the code can be ugly. Also, self-hosted means the dev has to invest in obfuscater and complex licencing modules to minimize piracy.

I am a pro saas millennial, sooo gtfo?

How did that work out for you with Virtkick? :)

That was pure sabotage, onapp saw a genuine better product and they went in and destroyed it. All was good until they sold to onapp.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

pbgben said: That was pure sabotage, onapp saw a genuine better product and they went in and destroyed it. All was good until they sold to onapp.

They jumped the gun and announced they sold to OnApp before the sale was complete.

OnApp didn't buy them in the end.

If I recall correctly they started failing with support shortly before or after.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@pbgben said:

@joepie91 said:

@teamacc said:

@joepie91 said:
    3. Non-commercial 'unskilled' pirates, typically unable to afford the software; they will get their cracked copies from groups 1 and 2, and they weren't going to buy your software anyway.

I agree with most of what you're saying, however, I have to highlight this sentence.

As the intended users of this product will be supplying services to the public, and as they're not paying for it, they'll be able to offer it at lower cost, cutting that group out by keeping it as SaaS might keep more end-users with the people that actually pay for the software to begin with, instead of "every summer host using a nulled whmcs".

No serious business will run pirated billing/management software. Which means that the only potential 'customers' you lose are the summerhosts that would have otherwise purchased a license, which is 1) a tiny group (it's not like the average summerhost cares about control panel quality too much, so there are plenty free options), and 2) not a profitable group (they're small, and go out of business fast).

Hell, there's a good chance that they might be unprofitable to have as a customer purely due to the high support demand they are likely to introduce, while running a small operation and therefore not paying you very much in the first place. I wouldn't consider it a great loss to not have these providers as customers

@pbgben said:

@Hxxx said:
    The silicon valley vision : SaaS . Sometimes is just hard to trust. Summary: show me the code.

But thats the thing, SAAS means less time to develop as the code can be ugly. Also, self-hosted means the dev has to invest in obfuscater and complex licencing modules to minimize piracy.

I am a pro saas millennial, sooo gtfo?

How did that work out for you with Virtkick? :)

That was pure sabotage, onapp saw a genuine better product and they went in and destroyed it. All was good until they sold to onapp.

None of which would have been an issue if it'd been self-hosted instead of SaaS. Which was my point.

The new control panel lay-out, let me know what you think

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2017

@joepie91 said:

CConner said: How does WHCMS or any other platform handle this?

WHMCS relies primarily on a public license checker where anybody can enter a domain to verify whether it's licensed to use WHMCS. I don't know exactly what there is in the software itself, but it's the public license checker that really makes the difference; evidence that a provider is using it without a license is pretty much instant reputation death on any reputable platform.

The folks at WHMCS don't rely on the checker itself, rather the LowEndSlavesSnitches that use the tool.

Mock-up design for the new control panel. Let me know what you guys think!

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@CConner said: Mock-up design for the new control panel. Let me know what you guys think!

Looks sweet! :) I'm sure you're probably already going to do this, but I'd recommend adding values to your CPU/RAM/Disk usage bars (i.e. "4.63 GB / 12.00 GB (39%)" inside the bar or just below in small lettering).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely implement that!

edited July 2017

Finished the theme ( http://jesse.developer.oasis-hosting.net/ohpanel/frontend/ ), if anyone is willing to help me out, please try it and if you encounter anything strange please notify me. If you have any suggestions regarding the theme, please do let me know.

• @CConner said:
    Finished the theme ( http://jesse.developer.oasis-hosting.net/ohpanel/frontend/ ), if anyone is willing to help me out, please try it and if you encounter anything strange please notify me. If you have any suggestions regarding the theme, please do let me know.

Sorry if I didn't read, but screencaps of the final version would be great! :)

• Not sure if you're aware or or not but on mobile I can't find a way to toggle the left navigation bar - the button on the top navigation toggles viewing the links from the top (orange) navbar.

• sarahsarah Member

Are you aware of the script injection in your code? Go to https://panel.oasis-hosting.net/support/ and click the support messages. The javascript is getting executed...