Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH NAS Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH NAS Storage

https://www.ovh.com/us/nas/

Has anyone used this service? Any feedback/reviews?

I am considering using it for production where uptime is important and I dont want to bother with administration.

I want to mount the storage over NFS on 4 OVH servers. Lots of reads and writes from all of them.

Comments

• trvztrvz Member

jimaek said: Any feedback/reviews?

Don't use OVH for production.

• jimaekjimaek Member

I've been using their dedicated servers for years and never had a single problem.

Thanked by 2Zerpy GamerTech24
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

It's rather stable and actually super performance (They do use SSD caching on the setup so speeds are rather decent).

However, it's recommended you actually get servers with 1 or 10 gigabit vrack else you'll have a bad time if you start utilizing your public interface.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jimaekjimaek Member

@Zerpy Any downtimes or problems? How do you control the NAS? Can you send me a screenshot of the panel?

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@jimaek said:
    @Zerpy Any downtimes or problems? How do you control the NAS? Can you send me a screenshot of the panel?

I don't use it personally, but I have a few colleagues of mine that use it without issues or major downtime (issues happen, and it can never be avoided) - I just asked a colleague and he told that he only experienced ~ 5 minutes of downtime the last 3 years, so I'd say it's rather reliable.

The interface is basically a table overview where you can create your "partitions", you define a name, the size of the partition and which protocols to use.

You can later edit the partitions as well and choose a new size for the partition. If I remember correctly you cannot rename or choose other protocols for a given partition after it has been created.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • @trvz said:

I wouldn't say that. OVH is used by many companies, and regular people. It is reliable enough, and doesn't eat into your wallet. OVH has decent DDoS protection too, which is great considering the price.

1) OVH's DDoS protection surpasses many other companies, such as CC. Hell, ColoCrossing can barely protect the community. I've never tried (nor will I ever) testing the capacity of the protection, but from what we've seen, it struggles to keep LET up during attacks from little kids. I would even go to saying that they use free tools to knock CC's "dedicated appliances" offline.

2) Affordability. That one word is able to describe it all. OVH provides a decent panel, reasonable billing, and good support. For the price I pay, I get DDoS protection, a panel that actually supports 2fa, phone support, and a plethora of features. I know that $80/mo may be much, but I say it's worth it.

3) OVH is almost a one-size fits all company. They offer basically every solution/product imaginable. Email (exchange), virtual servers, dedicated servers, storage, and etcetera. I'm not vouching for any of their products, but hey, every company has it's downsides. (cough HubiC)

tl;dr OVH isn't that bad. Sure, their storage might be slow, and you might experience periodic downtime, but it works. Their dedicated servers are packed with features, and KVMoIP is near instant. The panel is intuitive, and they offer great DDoS protection. That said, OVH is decent, and good enough for just about everyone.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited July 2017

jimaek said: Has anyone used this service? Any feedback/reviews?

I am considering using it for production where uptime is important and I dont want to bother with administration.

I've used it before and NEVER had any issues. People can say what they want and hate on me for recommending and supporting OVH, but in MY OWN EXPERIENCE their support was pleasant to talk to on the phone and I can get things resolved by ticket/email as well, and haven't ever experienced any major downtime apart from 2 incidents in BHS in 2015 which were both fixed and resolved for good.

I know a few different people who use OVH in critical production environments, including myself, and have never had it fail me, so for these reasons in my own experience (in BHS) I recommend it.

But what about supporting LET hosts instead of a giant company? Many LET hosts offer server/VPS plans in OVH's DCs and that way you can support both :)

(again the fact that people reselling OVH for game servers and VPSs and these individual providers haven't gotten any hate for downtime is additional proof that you can depend on OVH)

If you're of course a bank or school or government organization self-hosting is really the best option but for everything else I even dare to say OVH is comparable to SecuredServers/PheonixNAP

Lastly, you can talk with OVH support and see if OVH is right for you, they do that and will let you know anything you need to know about using them to host whatever you need, for north america call 1-855-OVH-LINE (+18556845463)

• MaikoBMaikoB Member
    edited July 2017

@jimaek said:

I'have used it. It's awesome. But you are going to say that i'm not neutral :)

NAS use RAID 10, with dedicated disks. Your storage space is not shared with another customer. That's why the size of it is 1.2TB, 2.4TB, etc. That's actually because of the size of the physical drive we use :)

And the bigger you order, the more disk are used (so you get better IOPS if that's important for you).

(spoiler : we don't have NAS (yet) in new DCs. Only France and BHS)

I want to mount the storage over NFS on 4 OVH servers. Lots of reads and writes from all of them.

You can mount it on multiple server at the same time. It's just an NFS Share :)
    We use SSD as cache so you get pretty good performance even in case of a peak.

@ethancedrik said:
    Lastly, you can talk with OVH support and see if OVH is right for you, they do that and will let you know anything you need to know about using them to host whatever you need, for north america call 1-855-OVH-LINE (+18556845463)

And if you're based in Australia and want to talk with my awesome team, just call the 1300 684 287 (+61 1300 684 287) ;)

@trvz said:

That's rude :(

• @trvz said:

With so many providers (here in LET) using OVH I supose they all are in "beta / development" phase. Surely they will leave OVH when they become production ready! ;)

Now seriously, never been OVH direct client, so can't say.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@MaikoB said:
    And if you're based in Australia and want to talk with my awesome team, just call the 1300 684 287 (+61 1300 684 287) ;)

Do you happen to know the 24/7 NOC phone number for EU/France customers?

I've called +33 9 72 10 01 11 multiple times but I really got that number from the SYS website and not from OVH lol - it seems to work, but not sure if it's the correct one? :-D

• MaikoBMaikoB Member

@Zerpy said:

@MaikoB said:

Do you happen to know the 24/7 NOC phone number for EU/France customers?

I've called +33 9 72 10 01 11 multiple times but I really got that number from the SYS website and not from OVH lol - it seems to work, but not sure if it's the correct one? :-D

It depend if your account is set with the French HQ or with a subsidiary. Each subsidiary have its own support and rules. I.E France can't support your UK Account.

For France : +33 9 72 10 10 07 (in French. For OVH.Com services only). No english support for France.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@MaikoB said:

It depend if your account is set with the French HQ or with a subsidiary. Each subsidiary have its own support and rules. I.E France can't support your UK Account.

For France : +33 9 72 10 10 07 (in French. For OVH.Com services only). No english support for France.

But e.g. the NL subsidiary (which I'm forced to be a customer off), do not have incident support - the staff is basically 2 people.

And when contacting incident support via tickets, it's french HQ that picks up the tickets anyway.

Plenty of times I've had incident support from the SYS number ( +33 9 72 10 01 11 ) under my OVH NL account - I've just always found it weird to use SYS number for OVH :') but well.

• @jimaek said:

My company is using it, in production, the service is quite stable and I can't seem to remember any downtime in the last 12-16 months at least. The NFS clients will anyways give you headache and make you curse in all the languages you know, but it won't be OVH's fault.

Echoing a previous comment, you should order servers with 1Gbps or 10Gbps vRack and mount your partitions over the vRack link.

• jimaekjimaek Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was worried that OVH has stopped maintaining that product and stability would suffer.

The fact that the design of that page is still the old one while everything else was updated shows that the priority of that product is low and that was worrisome to me.

I am curious. vRack 1Gbps vs no-vRack and normal 1Gbps? There should not be much difference right? All traffic will stay in LAN in both cases since NAS and servers are in the same datacenter.

• @jimaek said:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was worried that OVH has stopped maintaining that product and stability would suffer.

The fact that the design of that page is still the old one while everything else was updated shows that the priority of that product is low and that was worrisome to me.

I am curious. vRack 1Gbps vs no-vRack and normal 1Gbps? There should not be much difference right? All traffic will stay in LAN in both cases since NAS and servers are in the same datacenter.

VRACK is a while seperate set of switches and links between the switches/DC so you won’t be disturbed by a noisey nebiour on the public network.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@jimaek said:

The product is well and alive

The benefit you have when using vrack is that you're using a secondary link on the server (eth1), so you can basically do whatever speed you have on the NIC + still doing public traffic.

Where if you use eth0, and you do let's say 200 megabit in/out towards your NAS, then you'll have that less bandwidth to do actual public traffic, so it really depends on your use case if it matters or not.

But sure, it will stay within same DC.