Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does everyone want short domains (i.e., LNL.com)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why does everyone want short domains (i.e., LNL.com)?

So, the usual 'I'm an idiot' prefix.

I see people selling/auctioning short domains with formats like LNL. Why do people want these types of domains?

Comments

• Short domains are good to remember. It is good for business.

• They are sometimes more brandable and are traded for good prices. LLL.com are in demand and can be sold for a good profit.

• YuraYura Member

On the related note: Elon Musk just bought back his x.com domain. For sentimental reasons, he said.

• because nba.com is better than nationalbasketballassociation.com

• URL shorteners are a reason. It's a good way to brand aswell.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Republique said:
    URL shorteners are a reason. It's a good way to brand aswell.

Periodic reminder that URL shorteners are useless and evil.

• RayhanRayhan Member
    edited July 2017

Remember the basic definition of domain formats,

L = Letters (ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ)
    Premium Letters = ABCDEFGHILMNOPRST

V = Vowels = AEIOUY

Premium Vowels = AEIO

C = Consonants = BCDFGHJKLMNPQRSTVWXZ

Premium Consonants = BCDFGHLMNPRST

N = Numbers = 0123456789

Example, Buy Now! Don't miss! Grab it Now! I have:

* LLLL.com = ABCD.com / LNLN.com = A9B3.com / CVCV = BAJE.com

* Premium LLLL.com = OPSS.com / Premium CVCV = ROHE.com / Premium VVCC = AEMN.com

Basically premium domain providers use those formats for better understanding the value of domain. (As i think.)

Thanked by 1emg
  • Like P2P.com? I'm sure you don't wanna miss it if you could.

Thanked by 1Rayhan
  • RayhanRayhan Member

P2P = Peer-to-Peer

Basically not a huge this types domains are available for sale on the market and this types domains are basically used for finance & education purpose only. (As i think.)

Few examples of P2P domains below,

* P2PFinancing.com

* P2PHomeLoan.com

* P2PStudentLoan.com

• I get the OP's question. Brandability is one thing, but as far as typing or remembering a URL, well ... it's probably only one in a thousand (probably less) times that someone types in a URL. We've got Google for that now.

Thanked by 2emg WSS
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2017

It takes time to think of a good domain name that is not already taken, but I am convinced it can still be done, even for a .com TLD. When I worked for a brand new company, it took many hours (spanning two days) to come up with a great company name whose domain did not exist.

My guess is that it took a total of 10-15 hours to come up with it. We set up a "war room" in a large conference room with a laptop and projector (for whois lookups to determine whether domains were in use or not). We used a white board to write down new candidate names and to keep track of the strongest candidates. Most employees stayed in the room and worked on it until we got it right.

I have done the same for friends, sitting down and brainstorming domain names. Start with whois. If the domain is taken, move on to the next name. Make a list of suitable names, and whittle them down until you have your final choice.

In contrast, my very large credit union changed its name in 2001. The idiots in charge chose a new name without any other considerations. They had the new name, logos, and more, but failed to check whether the domain was already registered for the .com, .net, and .org TLDs, which were the only TLDs available at that time. The domains had already been registered, so they chose an awful domain name: "ABCXYZfederalcreditunion.org". Many years later they were able to buy one of the pre-owned TLD domains (ABCXYZ.org) from whoever had it before. Stupid. (By the way, I always wondered whether the credit union paid a "branding consultant" to help them choose the name. If so, the consultants were idiots, too.)

• None of your business