Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Cloud, setup fee?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Cloud, setup fee?

trnjtrnj Member
edited July 2017 in Providers

I want to create some new projects in OVH cloud.

Should I pay 10 euro per each project as a setup fee? I've paid 10 euro and they were not credited. Instead, OVH debited balance of my account for creation of this project.

Looks like OVH has setup fee. I created first project in 2013 and thought they are pay as you go model.

OVH has no support.

Comments

• kendidkendid Veteran

I thought the same thing... I tried to setup a public cloud for backups (about 130 GB only)... And they wanted $45 to get credit... That would last 4 or 5 years...

• trnjtrnj Member

Looks like for each project you have to pay 10 euro (valid for 13 month). Even if you plan to store 1 GB of data in one particular project, you have to order 10 euro credit.

This is something new. If you created project a couple of years ago, you are still 'pay as you go' without any prepaid credit.

• For backup I have signed up to Ovh and I have see that I should pay $40 for every cloud project that I create .

This looks like to me scamming customers !

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I can create projects for free (without deposit), due to the fact I've been a long term customer - and so can every other long term customers.

If you're new and they have no history with you, or a very small history, they take it as a measure against fraud/spammers

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • @Zerpy said:
    I can create projects for free (without deposit), due to the fact I've been a long term customer - and so can every other long term customers.

If you're new and they have no history with you, or a very small history, they take it as a measure against fraud/spammers

I have a confirmed payment option at Ovh at this moment . If I didn't have that I can understand deposit credits to stop scammers .

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@EGurelli said:

@Zerpy said:

I have a confirmed payment option at Ovh at this moment . If I didn't have that I can understand deposit credits to stop scammers .

Just because you get a confirmed payment option doesn't mean you're not a shady customer :-)

OVH looks at history of an account to determine whatever they should be required for a minimum deposit for a project creation or not.

• @Zerpy said:

@EGurelli said:

@Zerpy said:

Just because you get a confirmed payment option doesn't mean you're not a shady customer :-)

OVH looks at history of an account to determine whatever they should be required for a minimum deposit for a project creation or not.

Whatever thanks to THE GOD I haven't paid single penny to ovh , so I'm not their customer .

At online.net and scaleway.com no issues with that .

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@EGurelli said:
    At online.net and scaleway.com no issues with that

online.net and scaleway has their own issues - such as suddenly out of nowhere deciding to keep your files hostage because they believe you did something bad.

Both companies (OVH and online.net) do have their own ways of handing possible fraud customers, and from experience, OVH tends to be a bit more annoying in the beginning - but more professional in the long run - unlike Online.net which seems to be a hit/miss if the staff likes you or not.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited July 2017

trnj said: OVH has no support.

Your mileage may vary, I've gotten any issues I've had taken care of by ticket support, or in serious cases I called them and got it all taken care of in the same datacenter (1-855-OVH-LINE) if you're in North America calls techs/support inside their BHS datacenter and they usually can fix issues with servers in that datacenter quickly as their inside the same building.

With France servers they have to call over or email the people in Gravelines, Roubiax, etc and that can take longer. In BHS however I've gotten everything resolved same day no issues or problems.

In some cases you can email support in that datacenter, such as when I had a question about my AU server the AU support team contacted me directly.

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • kendidkendid Veteran

@EGurelli said:
    Whatever thanks to THE GOD I haven't paid single penny to ovh , so I'm not their customer .

Yep, because of their policy I'm not a customer either... I like to try things out before I commit to spending a bunch of money like that...

• williewillie Member

trnj said: Looks like OVH has setup fee.

I had the impression that it was a deposit rather than a setup fee. You pay the money but then you have it as a credit balance. I'm not sure whether your cloud server billing draws against it, or you have to keep it in place til you deactivate your cloud account and get the deposit back or what.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@willie said:

trnj said: Looks like OVH has setup fee.

I had the impression that it was a deposit rather than a setup fee. You pay the money but then you have it as a credit balance. I'm not sure whether your cloud server billing draws against it, or you have to keep it in place til you deactivate your cloud account and get the deposit back or what.

It's a minimum deposit, and will get deducted from your balance every month - so it's not a setup fee.

Thanked by 1MaikoB
  • I have just setup a Cloud Archive container and not had to pay any upfront fee. My account is about 4-5yrs old though, with dozens of transactions, so that could be why.

• williewillie Member

hackerman said: My account is about 4-5yrs old though

If you have a credit card on file with them, you no longer need to also put up the deposit.

• sinsin Member

Not sure if they recently changed something or if my account became old enough with lots of payments but

I don't have a credit card or default payment on my OVH account (I just pay with a Paypal account that isn't tied to my ovh acct) and it now lets me setup Cloud Projects without the deposit.

When I used to click on the Cloud option in the panel it would create a invoice and would want me to pay a minimum deposit...I tried clicking it again the other week and instead of invoicing me it immediately created a new Cloud Project and sent me an email with the cloud intro details.

I haven't really bothered going through with anything else though as I just buy the regular SSD VPSes (really love what you get for the price!)

• trnjtrnj Member

Lifehack: Create a project --> pay 10 euro --> open a ticket with Billing department --> ask to transfer credit from this new project to your balance --> Use it if you have other services with auto-payment like vps, dedi or another cloud project (like in my case).

• @Zerpy said:

Been with them for ~3 years :)