Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easiest way to get cable tv
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easiest way to get cable tv

What is th easiest way to obtain cable legally without going through an overpriced provider like Comcast. Would it be anyway for me to put a antenna on my roof and grab cable? I'm only interested in legal ways nothing illegal.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Subzero08 said: Would it be anyway for me to put a antenna on my roof and grab cable?

All depends on your location (i.e. how far you are from the closest city that broadcasts ota channels). I have one of those indoor flat hd antennas that picks up a few stations from a major city that's ~45 miles away. Works moderately well. Might be your best bet if you already have internet to use Sling though.

Btw this thread should be in offtopic.

• @MasonR said:

@Subzero08 said: Would it be anyway for me to put a antenna on my roof and grab cable?

All depends on your location (i.e. how far you are from the closest city that broadcasts ota channels). I have one of those indoor flat hd antennas that picks up a few stations from a major city that's ~45 miles away. Works moderately well. Might be your best bet if you already have internet to use Sling though.

What is sling?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Subzero08 said:

@MasonR said:

What is sling?

https://www.sling.com/

• @MasonR said:

@Subzero08 said:

@MasonR said:

What is sling?

https://www.sling.com/

Ah you probably didn't read my other post I'm trying to provide this to a few folks in my area. I have the only residential building in the area that has connectivity coming to it so I'm trying to capitalize of that and offer internet and cable tv.

• hzrhzr Member

Subzero08 said: cable tv

even less legal to share afaik

• Subzero08 said: . . . nothing illegal.

Yep, legal piracy is the way to go.

• jbarrjbarr Member

Likely not legal to do what you propose.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There is absolutely no way to legally obtain cable TV for less than what is offered by your local cable TV provider.

Except maybe Playstation Vue.

• Subzero08Subzero08 Member
    edited July 2017

@jarland said:
    There is absolutely no way to legally obtain cable TV for less than what is offered by your local cable TV provider.

Thanks well that pretty much sums it up.

How exactly do they obtain it?

Subzero08 said: How exactly do they obtain it?

Local cable TV provider, Playstation Vue, Sling TV.

• @jarland said:

I think he mean how they (providers) are able to obtain it

• @jarland said:

Sorry I mean how are the providers obtaining the cable tv.

• WSSWSS Member

Sorry, you're not part of the oligarchy.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • What's good for the oli is good for the garchy.

@Subzero08 said:

@jarland said:

Usually by satellite with individual contracts with each network.

Thanked by 1Subzero08
  • @jarland said:

@Subzero08 said:

@jarland said:

Usually by satellite with individual contracts with each network.

I'll just stick with WISP for now.

• Digital TV (DTV) antenna

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@doughmanes said:
    Digital TV (DTV) antenna

He just said he wants to legally re-transmit to neighbors for a fee which is frankly impossible, no one will sell him licenses and even if they did it would cost >$m per annum which wouldn't make any sense for him.