Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean and TUN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean and TUN

FatboyFatboy Member
edited July 2017 in General

Okay - I might be a complete numpty (a very good chance of this) but I am trying to secure comms between two ES servers in a cluster using Tinc (and this guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-ansible-and-tinc-vpn-to-secure-your-server-infrastructure)

All the config files are done and dusted, tinc installs fine but when it tries to run on both machines it complains about tun0 not being there.

stat /dev/net/tun File: '/dev/net/tun' Size: 0 Blocks: 0 IO Block: 4096 character special file Device: 6h/6d Inode: 136 Links: 1 Device type: a,c8 Access: (0666/crw-rw-rw-) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root) Access: 2017-07-07 11:50:02.164000000 +0000 Modify: 2017-07-07 11:50:02.164000000 +0000 Change: 2017-07-07 11:50:02.164000000 +0000 Birth: -

user@node1:/etc/elasticsearch$ sudo lsmod | grep tun user@node1:/etc/elasticsearch$ sudo modinfo tun modinfo: ERROR: Module tun not found.

sudo ./tinc-up SIOCSIFADDR: No such device tun0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

Now sat here after Googling none the wiser..........does anyone have any advice on this problem at all please?

Yes, its probably something very obvious but this old dog, after a week of learning new tricks, has hit the wall!

Cheers
FB

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

man 8 tunctl

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2017

Sounds like the kernel you are using doesn't have tun built in and is lacking a module for it.

What happens when you 'cat /dev/net/tun'? If it is working correctly and exists you should get back:

cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state

If you are getting any other response back than that then while the node may be created the actual device isn't registered in the kernel.

If that is the case you will need to try a different kernel that may include tun or build your own.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

• FatboyFatboy Member

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Sounds like the kernel you are using doesn't have tun built in and is lacking a module for it.

What happens when you 'cat /dev/net/tun'? If it is working correctly and exists you should get back:

cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state

If you are getting any other response back than that then while the node may be created the actual device isn't registered in the kernel.

If that is the case you will need to try a different kernel that may include tun or build your own.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

cat: /dev/net/tun: File descriptor in bad state is what I get.
    I see a weekend of fun and games ahead :)

Thanks