Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Plan feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Plan feedback

We're looking to offer new KVM SSD services based on the following platform:

E3v3-1240s
RAID 10/minimum 6 x Intel 520s

We're looking at plan specifications and pricing. We think we've found the right balance between price and value; however would welcome any feedback. Please note this is not an offer and the below details are not finalised.

KVM SSD Plan 1:

2 core
512mb RAM
7.5GB SSD Storage
1Gbps Port
1.5TB B/W
$7/mo

KVM SSD Plan 2:

4 core
1024mb RAM
15GB SSD Storage
1Gbps Port
3TB B/W
$14/mo

Comments

• jhjh Member

Very similar to what I used to sell and they sold rather slowly.

• Network is really important here.

• awsonawson Member

Nothing really stands out to me. Many cheaper alternatives I'd rather go to.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

You would make more money with a different system.

• @awson said:
    Nothing really stands out to me. Many cheaper alternatives I'd rather go to.

Do you mind sharing which plans you'd be interested in? We took a scan of the market and couldn't find anything on comparable hardware for KVM.

@Nick_A said:
    You would make more money with a different system.

Thanks for the advice. We did weigh up different options and some others offered more money; however didn't fit with our platform desires.

• edited July 2013

Profit is low with KVM and SSD storage unless you own the hardware. As @jhadley mentioned, sales will be slow too.

An E5 with more SSDs would probably allow you to offer lower prices/make more profit.

• @George_Fusioned said:
    Profit is low with KVM and SSD storage unless you own the hardware. As jhadley mentioned, sales will be slow too.

An E5 with more SSDs would probably allow you to offer lower prices/make more profit.

Margins at the prices listed work fine for us.

• ssdKVMssdKVM Member
    edited July 2013

I'm planning on a similar build and plans.

E3-1270v3, 8xSamsung 840 Pro 256GB

2 core, 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1TB@1Gbps, $10/month, promo $7/month

4 core, 1024MB RAM, 40GB SSD, 2TB@1Gbps, $20/month, promo $14/month

I don't know how fast they'll sell, but I know the margins at both list and sale pricing make it worth it once you own the hardware.

• @ssdKVM said:
    once you own the hardware.

+1

• All of our hardware is colo

• I wouldn't go with Intel 520. They are EOL. There are 530s coming soon TM, but otherwise no.

@ssdKVM said:
    [...]
    I know the margins at both list and sale pricing make it worth it

I'd like to see the number crunching behind that statement.

• @ssdKVM said:
    I'm planning on a similar build and plans.

2 core, 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1TB@1Gbps, $10/month, promo $7/month

4 core, 1024MB RAM, 40GB SSD, 2TB@1Gbps, $20/month, promo $14/month

I don't know how fast they'll sell, but I know the margins at both list and sale pricing make it worth it once you own the hardware.

You know, instead of beefing up on storage, how about get some bigger box with high ram support ;). Hint hint.

Disclaimer : I don't plan to harvest pure ssd market anytime soon.

• @concerto49 said:
    I wouldn't go with Intel 520. They are EOL. There are 530s coming soon TM, but otherwise no.

Servers were specced and built before the EoL announcement. Any new builds will use different SSDs

• ssdKVMssdKVM Member

I don't want to hijack someone else's thread too much. I posted my numbers just to offer feedback on the SSD KVM market, whatever it's worth from a future provider.

@Nick_A said:
    I'd like to see the number crunching behind that statement.

Generally, owned hardware depreciated over an appropriate timeframe, plus manageable colocation costs, with minimal other fees.

@seriesn said:
    You know, instead of beefing up on storage, how about get some bigger box with high ram support ;). Hint hint.

I think the problem with most SSD offers is the lack of disk space, and the few providers that offer larger disk allotments have terrible performance. I think the node outlined above offers a solid balance between the two.

• Can we close this thread please?

I meant the actual numbers, not the general gameplan. What kind of meager margins are you planning to run a business on?

• @Nick_A said:
    I meant the actual numbers, not the general gameplan. What kind of meager margins are you planning to run a business on?

@Nick_A, not sure where that was directed, although we've been running a profitable business for over two years while paying all appropriate taxes, office rental and staff salaries/tax contributions.

Directed at @ssdKVM

• ssdKVMssdKVM Member

I'm obviously not going to post numbers publicly. Shoot me a message if you want. I'm one of a long line of summerhosts I suppose ;)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Do you own the hardware @ShardHost? E3 systems don't seem like a good investment for KVM anymore really because of the 32GB RAM limitation.

@ssdKVM said:
    I'm obviously not going to post numbers publicly. Shoot me a message if you want. I'm one of a long line of summerhosts I suppose ;)

I'm sure the math has been done here already. You're talking about a ~$3400 node if you're using the usual LSI RAID, etc. 32GB RAM max. 6.5 month ROI minimum assuming most of your clients pay full price and sign up on day one. Sounds like a rough way to start out unless you have significant capital to burn.

• ssdKVMssdKVM Member

@Nick_A said:
    I'm sure the math has been done here already. You're talking about a ~$3400 node if you're using the usual LSI RAID, etc. 32GB RAM max. 6.5 month ROI minimum assuming most of your clients pay full price and sign up on day one. Sounds like a rough way to start out unless you have significant capital to burn.

• @ssdKVM, what's your hardware ROI in months if everyone signed up in day one for $7

• ssdKVMssdKVM Member

More than 6.5 months. We do benefit from being able finance and plan based on longer projections.

• @Oliver said:
    Do you own the hardware ShardHost? E3 systems don't seem like a good investment for KVM anymore really because of the 32GB RAM limitation.

Yes, 50 servers at the moment

• ssdKVMssdKVM Member

I'm sorry for hijacking your thread a bit @ShardHost. I feel an obligation to respond to leaders and legends like @Nick_A and @serverian.

• @ssdKVM said:
    I'm sorry for hijacking your thread a bit ShardHost. I feel an obligation to respond to leaders and legends like Nick_A and serverian.

It's fine. We know our costs and our margins.

• @ssdKVM said:
    I think the problem with most SSD offers is the lack of disk space, and the few providers that offer larger disk allotments have terrible performance. I think the node outlined above offers a solid balance between the two.

That's bull plop, we offer a larger allotment than some providers, not 'DO', but we are more transparent in terms of hardware than 'DO', who use some mystery raid (or a mixture of trial and error). But our performance can match some 'legends' such as @Nick_A :)

• SpiritSpirit Member

@ShardHost said:
    Can we close this thread please?

Closed - per thread starter's request.

This discussion has been closed.