Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostsolutions' vel7 (storage deal) down for > 1mo, no tk response - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostsolutions' vel7 (storage deal) down for > 1mo, no tk response

Comments

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Francisco said: Still, storage plans on OpenVZ are a big. fat. no no.

And why not? Our Storage VPS's accumulates 1515 TB of stored data so far. OpenVZ in this case performing brilliantly.

The problem is not behind virtualization platform it-self. If you don't know what you are doing - you will eventually come to the point of inevitable failure.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@AnthonySmith said:

bsdguy said: As for the fsck - fuck, what's the alternative? Let the user data burn down and say "sorry, tough luck"?

Yep, 3 - 4 weeks to do a disk check, common.

They are backup servers, after that long your backup is no longer relevant and no doubt you have a more recent one elsewhere if you are using it for Linux ISO's you can redownload them.

If I can't get it back after 3 days a week at the absolute most depending on circumstances then I am booting into sysrescue, turning off the fsck, backing up the container config files and reprovisioning from scratch, you will be back up and running within 4 - 7 days instead of 3 to 4 weeks a few times a year.

Depends, of course, how one does the backup boxen. One important point is to have multiple (raid) drives, i.e. having, say 24 disks to make 4 "drives". While not having a big fat beast at home I occasionally did i.a. fsck on 1 fat raided drive.
    Also note the "hw raid w/bbu" because that almost always translates to not having that kind of situation in the first place. And while I didn't expressly mention it it goes without saying that infrastructure is fed through a ups.

bsdguy said: plenty customers who'd gladly pay 1$ or 2$ more for good and fast backup.

You would think so, I have been offering it for free for 7 years, less than 50 customers have taken me up on it.

I trust you say the truth (honestly) but you see me bewildered. Mentioning e.g. free (or low price) backup capacity never failed to get my attention and I know of quite some others who tick similarly.

• williewillie Member

bsdguy said: Mentioning e.g. free (or low price) backup capacity never failed to get my attention and I know of quite some others who tick similarly.

Sure, I'm obsessed with it myself. But at the price levels we're discussing, fancy implementations with hw raid, BBU's, UPS (well maybe backup power from the DC) etc. aren't in the cards. You want to build the stuff roughly like Backblaze pods, i.e. no frills cheap. The place where I used to work had a ton of comparable gear, with no hardware raid to be found.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

time4vps said: And why not? Our Storage VPS's accumulates 1515 TB of stored data so far. OpenVZ in this case performing brilliantly.

And the per node numbers please as that is the actual important factor? the "combined experience" style statement really adds nothing here.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • bsdguybsdguy Member

@willie said:

bsdguy said: Mentioning e.g. free (or low price) backup capacity never failed to get my attention and I know of quite some others who tick similarly.

Sure, I'm obsessed with it myself. But at the price levels we're discussing, fancy implementations with hw raid, BBU's, UPS (well maybe backup power from the DC) etc. aren't in the cards. You want to build the stuff roughly like Backblaze pods, i.e. no frills cheap. The place where I used to work had a ton of comparable gear, with no hardware raid to be found.

What I said was based on the assumption that every provider of some size has access to cheap 2nd hand boxen incl. a raid option. I might be wrong but even if say 500 $ had to be payed and that box would serve 3 years, the cost for hw raid would be very low per TB-month.

If one had to buy new controllers for e.g. 24 drives it would be too expensive. But usually providers have servers with backplanes and raid, at least as an option, and often that goes for cheap with the box when it's sold after its first lifecycle.

Another point that plays a role is the fact that when offering a backup option a provider can indeed say "touch luck" and shrug when a users box goes belly up.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: And the per node numbers please as that is the actual important factor?

Nope, it's not important. You may fail with just 1 VPS or 100 VPS's. Please read my statement again.

edited July 2017

Well my point was around the time it takes to check/fsck big data, you might have 1515TB 'combined' if that's over 1000 nodes then that is not even remotely comparable, if it is over 10 ... well, I would not like to be your customer if you have a panic and require an fsck.

I read your statement, I stand by my question.

Thanked by 2dimitrisp Junkless
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

cociu said: Also i have a personal question , like you have opened this thread blame my company , way you not have try to pm tell something like this " i have opened a fuking tiket idiot like xxxx days and nobody is answering can you help me ?"

So...OP opened a ticket and two weeks went by without a response, and the ticket was closed. There's been no update on your announcement page. And you're complaining that he didn't PM you first?

He used the ticket system. You ignored him. Reap the whirlwind.

Sorry there's no special snowflake status just because you had an outage. Ignoring tickets is lousy customer service, particularly when you make these big boasts on your website.

cociu said: please let me know what you prefere

Full refunds for every storage customer, end all storage plans, and never offer them again. That's what I'd prefer.

bsdguy said: I'm wondering anyway, btw, that quite few (it seems to me) providers have a serious backup backend. Considering how cheap 10 Gb switches and cards (better halfway current servers have them on board anyway) have become and the seriously fat - and affordable - hard drives that are available I (if I were a provider) would certainly have one or more 100+ TB backup boxes connected via dual 10 Gb links. And it would easily pay for itself due to plenty customers who'd gladly pay 1$ or 2$ more for good and fast backup.

I'd guess that scenario is probably an order of magnitude more sophisticated than the typical LET host. Lots of hosts come on here and say "we own our own hardware!" That's because it's a major point of differentiation. Just owning instead of renting and people are bragging.

Going from that to multiple 100TB servers with storage subsystems (most providers have none besides onboard), dual 10GB links...

Thanked by 4Yura Aidan vedran ucxo
  • cociucociu Member

Falzo said: maybe he confused nodes with harddisks though...

i have separated the ipv4 truth several AS Numbers , if for you have many ips in a as number is something big and good please let me know and i will route some ips more to be a "good" company. Dont forghet i sell in LET only with hostsolutions.ro domain but i am owner in 3 different company each with different as number.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

"We should start to acctually refund all affected customers and be done with it in the next 2 days."

Thanked by 2Yura Neoon
  • cociucociu Member

raindog308 said: Full refunds for every storage customer, end all storage plans, and never offer them again. That's what I'd prefer.

its your wich hostsolutions.ro not offer any more storage in let ? I dont think so is a problem. BUT , in all this time we have work in the initial issue wich no one want to see wich was electrical problem , we are in 99% procentaje resolved with this issue , after this i will make more offers in storage without any problem because we have learn our lesson.

About tiketing , have people in others threads who was complain about not have the posibility to opened new tikets , we have write/pay to whmcs to make a upgrade and verif this part .... i have personaly make some test and seems to be all ok. With this tiket is possible to have a human error because we had many tikets in this period and i have tell to Adrian to close all thikets resolved ... but is our fault , nothing to blame the customer. I have told about pm because today i have resolved his problem in less 5 min so instead of open a hole thread at least if is member of this comunity can PM (i dont think i have blame someone for some pm until now) or eaven send a email first.... But never mind .... was hapened , is resolved now, compensated , etc etc. I will need 3-5 working days more to put all in order here because we have been focused in have one more provider of electricity here a different line because is a old industrial parc so the cables was in no good condition. So was need a new cable underground wich is not resolved in 1 day. I tell all this not because we are depended only in direct line , we have backup in ups and 1 big generator +2 small but when was faill in the day with fsck was broke a fusile from the principal ups due of small interruption and repeatly. So all this need time. If you take a look of all this threads blaming us is only in storage plan , so i admit i have faill but what i know we work hard to repair all this.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@MikeA said:
    Well, hopefully fsck doesn't happen on the working ones.

It will have to at some point. It's technically doomed to fail by design.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

This turns into something similar like SolusVM 2 release date. "We are almost done..just a couple.." yeah right? You are telling this basically to us and your customers since the incident started and nothing has really been happening has it? Also I can still not see why it is so hard to process all refund requests in the next 2 days?

• cociucociu Member
    edited July 2017

Ympker said: This turns into something similar like SolusVM 2 release date. "We are almost done..just a couple.." yeah right? You are telling this basically to us and your customers since the incident started and nothing has really been happening has it? Also I can still not see why it is so hard to process all refund requests in the next 2 days?

Same of you ! way ? where you see i am not opened to refound ? some people need his vps eaven in this condition .... way ? because in 4 years we make a great work except this storage plans ... Do you know a person who have asked for his refound and finnaly was not recived ? is true we have tard in this period but i have not negate any refound until now in storage plan. TAKE THE EXEMLE WITH THIS GUY WHO HAVE OPENED THIS THREAD HI PREFERE THE VPS NOT THE MONEY SO WHAT TO DO ? AFTER THIS WAITING PERIOD TO TELL TO CUSTOMER "FUCKK OFF THIS IS YOUR REFOUND ?" I HAVE USED YOUR MONEY THANKS ? sorry i cannot. MORE some things is depending for 3 rd parties so i have pressed to anyone this month to hunrry hunrry. We have compensate +3 month eaven in the contracts for 1 month ... so what i can do more ? Retire a product wich was sell verry good (also a great succes except this 2 nodes) i will not doit , i will repair this problems and MORE i will offer many more ... so what is your real problem because i am not verry smart to understand this time.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

I do believe that there are definitely some outstanding refunds and/or people trying to request just that which are not being processed yet. At this point you can say what you want, really. I know you have been providing a solid service for a while and we (the community) love you but the past few weeks have been hard on all of us believers. Although you cater to low budget with your superb affordable offers it should just not happen that some customers need to come here, a public forum, to acctually have their ticket read (at the very least) let alone have a chance for refund. This is not the image we want to have from your business and that is not how you want to look like either..or do you? Anyway you should definitely process all refund requests at 1-2 days time. Even if it means just sending a quick reply "Aight we got ya mate. You will be refunded when all the bulk refunds are issued at the end of month.". I believe this would acctually be sufficient to keep most customers at bay. Given the refunds acctually do happen at the given date that is.

• Jesus christ, simply glancing at his posts gave me an aneurysm.

• Press the return/enter key every now and then guys ffs

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • JesusJesus Member

varunchopra said: Jesus christ, simply glancing at his posts gave me an aneurysm.

Hell, yeah!

• didtavdidtav Member

@Jesus said:

varunchopra said: Jesus christ, simply glancing at his posts gave me an aneurysm.

Hell, yeah!

Lol

• FalzoFalzo Member

@corbpie said:
    Press the return/enter key twice every now and then guys ffs

corrected that for you cause of vanilla.

Thanked by 1ucxo

@cociu just do you job please and communicate properly with your customers, the constant spilling over here because of your lack of ability is getting old.

Thanked by 2Clouvider ucxo
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I love @cociu but you really need to layoff let for awhile my friend. Actual take a vacation and hire me to handle to handle these interactions. (Shameless ploy).

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @cociu just do you job please and communicate properly with your customers, the constant spilling over here because of your lack of ability is getting old.

I hate it when other providers bitch about other provider. Cociu is a good guy

• WHTWHT Member

Well he have issues and I think everyone should understand that. Opening such threads or asking for refund or chargeback his life is getting harder. Will recommend to close this thread and wait for a response on hostsolutions as @cociu already states that he is working to fix the issues.

blablub123 said: I hate it when other providers bitch about other provider. Cociu is a good guy

Well, I am sorry that you hate it but this is the 7th thread now for exactly the same thing?

He may well be a good guy but you can't judge him as a 'guy' and me as a host in the same sentence, there is no excuse for not answering tickets for a month or more and we know from the countless threads and people that this simply is not just 'one that slipped through the net'.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

It's always possible that it's as I said: he just has a few very rotten eggs making his life miserable.

Still, storage plans on OpenVZ are a big. fat. no no. Use KVM because at least then users can self FSCK or in some cases they don't need it if they weren't in the middle of writing anything.

He wouldn't have the shrinkage issue either but I think that might be self inflicted.

Francisco

Surely you can use LVM with OpenVZ to sidestep that issue? Of course, that'd probably mean giving up on your overselling capabilities where disk space is concerned...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

joepie91 said: Surely you can use LVM with OpenVZ to sidestep that issue? Of course, that'd probably mean giving up on your overselling capabilities where disk space is concerned...

You would have to script all of the mounting and such but sure, it could be done.

You could use thin provisioning on it to try to recoup some space but that's bound to end badly.

Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2017

bsdguy said: I'm wondering anyway, btw, that quite few (it seems to me) providers have a serious backup backend. Considering how cheap 10 Gb switches and cards (better halfway current servers have them on board anyway) have become and the seriously fat - and affordable - hard drives that are available I (if I were a provider) would certainly have one or more 100+ TB backup boxes connected via dual 10 Gb links. And it would easily pay for itself due to plenty customers who'd gladly pay 1$ or 2$ more for good and fast backup.

Not on OpenVZ. short of your backup platform being ploop aware. Let me use BuyShared as a good example of offering backups via rsync. On an average buyshared node we may very well have 20,000,000 inodes. Even on an 8-12 drive RAID10, doing snapshots on all of that still takes the better part of a day. You would have to have SSD's on both end to make it run quick enough to be worth it. We run SSD's on the node side, but backups is just a big fat 4U full of 4TB's.

Like I said, it sucks. I've had my storage plan related woes over the years (hell, i got one going on right now). It's just a big headache due to the amount of storage in there and it not being pure SSD.

If it was SSD's it'd obviously not matter, but I'd also have to ramp my prices way up.

Francisco

Thanked by 1WSS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ympker said: This turns into something similar like SolusVM 2 release date.

New Poll:

Which do you think will happen first:

(1) Solus 2 released

(2) HostSolutions fsck finishes

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@raindog308 said:

Ympker said: This turns into something similar like SolusVM 2 release date.

New Poll:

Which do you think will happen first:

(1) Solus 2 released

(2) HostSolutions fsck finishes

(3) A third "cest pit" thread is opened