Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Urgent Help Needed: Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Urgent Help Needed: Proxmox

gurugrvgurugrv Member
edited July 2017 in Help

I have a proxmox 4.4 setup on a dedi with 4-5 VMs. Saw proxmox v5 update and jumped into updating it without giving it a thought. Stupid decision. Messed up something during upgrade and now proxmox console with all the VMs are down. I just need some help to get it up and running again. Will also pay some tip if I get out of it.

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

tip: give much more details about what you already have tried and what error messages you possibly get and so on.

Thanked by 2jvnadr lukesUbuntu
  • I can currently start/stop LXC but I can't access the web console and the LXC are not accessible via SSH. DOn't know what else to try.

• ouch
    @ all : In future, wait for a 0.1 or 0.0.1 stablity release before upgrading anything where you cannot tolerate 5 days downtime.

• FalzoFalzo Member

I assume you rebootet after the upgrade and also tried to restart pvedaemon and the proxy services via cli ?

you could at least try to connect to port 5900 locally via telnet to see if this works or what you might get as error message...

did you try to connect to the LXC containers with SSH from external or internally from the hostnode?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I somehow got the web console to work. I can enter the containers thorough the host server. But I can't connect via ssh or through the web console.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2017

gurugrv said: I somehow got the web console to work. I can enter the containers thorough the host server. But I can't connect via ssh or through the web console.

You are not giving us any real technical detail. It's like saying to a public forum, "my car do not start but I have gas in it".
    if you are not capable to detect the excact issue in technical terms, even if you cannot resolv it (logs etc.), then, you should try to find a tech guy for a paid support.
    The way you are handling it now will not lead you anywere...

(And for future use: do not try things before you are sure you are capable on handle them)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2017

gurugrv said: I can currently start/stop LXC but I can't access the web console and the LXC are not accessible via SSH. DOn't know what else to try.

pct enter {vmid}
    This is the command for accessing a vm thru the node's ssh terminal.
    If this is not working, then, you have either broke the configuration of the vm and it does not start, or it is something with debian 9 that broke the config.

Again, this is so little detail you're giving us...

• hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

Post your node's Syslog here. We need more info.

• I can enter VMs through PCT enter. I just can't access them thourgh ssh or console.I thought of backing up the VMs and reinstalling proxmox. But I can't even install vzdump.
    Installation gives the following error.

'dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/vzdump_1.2.6-4_all.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/Plugin.pm', which is also in package libpve-guest-common-perl 2.0-11
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/vzdump_1.2.6-4_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    '

• gurugrvgurugrv Member
    edited July 2017

@hostfav said:
    Post your node's Syslog here. We need more info.

What's the command for proxmox logs ?

• FalzoFalzo Member

gurugrv said: I thought of backing up the VMs and reinstalling proxmox.

probably the best approach, though you should have made those backups before upgrading ;-)

But I can't even install vzdump.

vzdump should be there out of the box without any debian package... at least it was before v5. did you try to just run it?

also, what is the output of

pveversion -v
    Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Falzo said:

output of pveversion -v

proxmox-ve: 5.0-15 (running kernel: 4.10.15-1-pve)
    pve-manager: 5.0-23 (running version: 5.0-23/af4267bf)
    pve-kernel-4.10.15-1-pve: 4.10.15-15
    pve-kernel-4.4.13-1-pve: 4.4.13-56
    pve-kernel-4.4.44-1-pve: 4.4.44-84
    pve-kernel-4.4.67-1-pve: 4.4.67-92
    libpve-http-server-perl: 2.0-5
    lvm2: 2.02.168-pve2
    corosync: 2.4.2-pve3
    libqb0: 1.0.1-1
    pve-cluster: 5.0-10
    qemu-server: 5.0-12
    pve-firmware: 2.0-2
    libpve-common-perl: 5.0-16
    libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-11
    libpve-access-control: 5.0-5
    libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-12
    pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3
    vncterm: 1.5-2
    pve-docs: 5.0-8
    pve-qemu-kvm: 2.9.0-2
    pve-container: 2.0-14
    pve-firewall: 3.0-1
    pve-ha-manager: 2.0-2
    ksm-control-daemon: not correctly installed
    glusterfs-client: 3.8.8-1
    lxc-pve: 2.0.8-3
    lxcfs: 2.0.7-pve2
    criu: 2.11.1-1~bpo90
    novnc-pve: 0.6-4
    smartmontools: 6.5+svn4324-1

• @DrMak said:

This is what I did and probably fucked up somewhere in between.

• Falzo said: vzdump should be there out of the box without any debian package... at least it was before v5. did you try to just run it?

vzdump will not do shit on LXC, at all, regardless if it exists or not.

• Is there any way I can transfer files from my lxc to host ?
    I tried 'pct pull' but I can't seem to get the syntax right.

• LXC is just folders in default config, in your PVE storage location.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2017

William said: vzdump will not do shit on LXC, at all, regardless if it exists or not.

In Proxmox, vzdump is still the command to make a LXC backup (and 'pct restore' the command to restore it in a proxmox environment).
    This way a LXC container is being restored in a proxmox environment to be working inside the panel.
    After all, vzdump was not an OpenVZ command from the start, but a proxmox "hack" that was working on the OpenVZ environment.

William said: LXC is just folders in default config, in your PVE storage location.

In proxmox, just copying the LXC folder in another node does not work at all, even if there is a copy of the config files.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

gurugrv said: Is there any way I can transfer files from my lxc to host ? I tried 'pct pull' but I can't seem to get the syntax right.

Open a thread on Proxmox english forum and ask help from the developers, dietmar and martin are usually very helpful.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2017

jvnadr said: In proxmox, just copying the LXC folder in another node does not work at all, even if there is a copy of the config files.

This was not the point. He wants the data, which is in the directory and can be copied.

• I mounted the lxc into the host machine using pct mount and I am copying my data as we speak. I had backups of most of the sites but a few got missed due to rsync issues.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@William said:

jvnadr said: In proxmox, just copying the LXC folder in another node does not work at all, even if there is a copy of the config files.

This was not the point. He wants the data, which is in the directory and can be copied.

even that is not necessarily true, afaik default behaviour in proxmox was to deploy sparse raw images for lxc containers too (at least v4 on LVM) ;-)

• Might be yea, not using LXC in Proxmox (my plesk handles docker needs), the general default should be the usual aufs (or whatever name is now) though

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Are you even getting a network connection from inside the lxc container?