Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple hardware in data center like mac mini etc... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apple hardware in data center like mac mini etc...

2»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2017

dragonballz2k said: you can get mac osx on kvm https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM but I wouldn't trust the stability part of it.

Stability is fine, if you ever get it to work.

You also, unlike in vmware, do not get any usable 3D graphics and the driver support for virtio is... nonexistent, causing performance loss.

This should be, somewhat, legal to use if your vmware is licensed:

http://www.sysprobs.com/vmware-workstation-8-0-8-0-1-unlocker-to-run-mac-os-x-guest-in-windows-7

Basically has the files vmware on OSX comes with (EFI image and patched loader) for OSX emulation and modifies your vmware workstation (or ESX, so hosting ability is there) to be the same.

Selling based on this is not very legal for sure, personal use however is certainly fine.

• Yeah ESXi 6.0 can be patched to run macOS, tried it on 6.5 and it doesn't work however

• I've also seen 1U mac mini racks like this if the colocation datacenter requires it to be in a full rack-mount form factor.

People have also came up with solutions to mount the trashcan-style mac pros in server racks too

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2017

All of these potato servers run GNU/MacOS?

No wonder they suck ass.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • macos isn't even gnu I don't think, it's just forked off BSD into Darwin and then built ontop of that

• emgemg Veteran

In case anyone cares, I run multiple Mac minis as headless servers in various locations. I am still using the obsolete and unsupported Timbuktu Pro for remote control and management. I cannot in good faith recommend Timbuktu Pro to anyone.

I looked at Apple Remote Desktop for remote management of headless Macs, but it is frustrating to use in an environment where the client may be at multiple IP addresses (e.g., inside the LAN vs. remote connection from somewhere on the internet). You can make it work, but it seems focused on classroom systems management more than remote control.

I run many different services, applications, and virtual machines on the Mac minis.

Just to be clear, I am not advocating Mac minis as the ideal data center server solution. The Mac minis that I mentioned above came about for various reasons, including customer insistence. Nonetheless, they have worked out well, with no problems whatsoever. They have suffered years of continuous hard use in hot, dusty environments with no hardware issues whatsoever. For that matter, I have yet to be forced to reconnect a keyboard/monitor/mouse to any of my headless Mac minis after initial setup, including the Mac mini I configured in 2005.

• emg said: Just to be clear, I am not advocating Mac minis as the ideal data center server solution

They are not. In any way.

The only reason to use Mac Mini and Mac Pro, especially due to the price of the hardware, is to get OSX in an officially legal way.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Janevski said: All of these potato servers run GNU/MacOS?

You know, when people talk about the GPL being "viral" I think this is what they mean. If you include a single GNU program in your OS, Richard Stallman expects you to rename it GNU/something.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

Janevski said: All of these potato servers run GNU/MacOS?

You know, when people talk about the GPL being "viral" I think this is what they mean. If you include a single GNU program in your OS, Richard Stallman expects you to rename it GNU/something.

Welcome to 2001. Let me know when you get to the point where they video him eating a scab off his foot.

• 127001127001 Member

@pbgben said:

images.google.com for "4chan servers"
    rekt

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited July 2017

Yeah honestly unless you need final cut pro x or xcode or something in the cloud I don't see any reason to have any dependency on macos at all.

With how easy it is to install desktop windows on a server or cloud VM and the fact that it can run a slew of programs that exist on mac, even if you've only used adobe products on mac they all have windows equivalents which are functionally the same, there really isn't any point imo

I haven't owned a mac since 2010 and that was on Snow Leopard, since then I've been completely detached from the ecosystem apart from the iPhone.

Thanked by 1dragonballz2k
  • ethancedrik said: Yeah honestly unless you need final cut pro x or xcode or something in the cloud I don't see any reason to have any dependency on macos at all.

This is the use case for nearly all colocated Macs, aside of the server functions from Apple (eg. ical server).

ethancedrik said: even if you've only used adobe products on mac they all have windows equivalents which are functionally the same, there really isn't any point imo

Functionally yes, however you get certain optimisations especially on the Mac Pro with the Dxx GPUs which are from the AMD enterprise series. A Mac Mini also yields you some gain for the GPU but you can obviously get the same/better on any i7.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited July 2017

-

• leytonleyton Member
    edited July 2017

We have a couple of clients that colo Mac Mini's with an external harddrive for off-site backups.

Seems like an expensive and unnecessary way to do it to me, though.

• WSSWSS Member

@leyton said:

Mac users will be Mac users.

Thanked by 317brownj netomx Nuntius
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Filemaker servers etc

• @leyton said:
    We have a couple of clients that colo Mac Mini's with an external harddrive for off-site backups.

There is for example no other way to use time machine backups remote. And also it works very well as an email server with nice push integration to the iphone etc.

• leytonleyton Member

@Nuntius said:

@leyton said:

There is for example no other way to use time machine backups remote. And also it works very well as an email server with nice push integration to the iphone etc.

Maybe you're right (I've not ever been part of the Apple ecosystem) - nonetheless it amuses me to see a quarter rack with just a Mac Mini in it :) (we don't sell anything less than a quarter rack).

Thanked by 1Nuntius
  • Nuntius said: There is for example no other way to use time machine backups remote

Sure is. AFP runs on Linux and BSD and TM needs only minor tweaks.

eg.: https://samuelhewitt.com/blog/2015-09-12-debian-linux-server-mac-os-time-machine-backups-how-to

• @William said:

Nuntius said: There is for example no other way to use time machine backups remote

Sure is. AFP runs on Linux and BSD and TM needs only minor tweaks.

eg.: https://samuelhewitt.com/blog/2015-09-12-debian-linux-server-mac-os-time-machine-backups-how-to

Yes sure there are other ways but not as compfortable as using a mac mini Server for people who don't have the knowledge. Here you need just some clicks and it's done. Also you can be sure that the backup system will not broke down after a technology change or update.