Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do many LET members not like RHEL clones? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do many LET members not like RHEL clones?

2»

Comments

• Me too, i am using centos in all my servers.

• Out of the box, Debian uses less memory and its file structure is much tidier in my opinion compared to RedHat based OSs.

Also Debian has more up to date packages in its standard repo's

• @Francisco said: cPanel compiles a LOT of things

It compiles apache and php, that isn't LOTS of things. It can compile LOTS of things and is very useful if your box is still running like Fedora 6 (I still have a couple Fedora boxes running)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It compiles all of perl and every single module for perl it needs.

Francisco

• Could SELinux be a factor? :)

I developed a soft spot for Fedora and got to like it. But when I was setting up new servers in areas I wasn't familiar with and SELinux kept kicking in, it got frustrating. I have got a few Centos/Fedora images I would like to revive. I'll put them on KVM and see how it goes.

• @rchurch setenforce 0 then edit /etc/selinux/config and change it to disabled, it's crap for government computers, nobody runs that.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: nobody runs that

+1. First step after changing my SSH port is disabling SELinux.

• Well, generally I use only CentOS on my VPSes without problems, if something is missing and cannot be found in EPEL/RPMForge/CentALT repositories (rarely) I compile it...I'm also running cPanel on CentOS 6 without problems...however I'm curious about Scientific Linux, maybe I will give it a try sooner or later.

• @Francisco said: It compiles all of perl and every single module for perl it needs.

Damn, ugly bloatware u_u

• @yomero said: Damn, ugly bloatware u_u

I imagine it's a way to control the environment in which it runs...

• I also can't understandy while cPanel compiles PHP and Apache instead of installing it from the repositories... As far as I know, you can control their environment in the config files.

• I think it's a question of versions, in this manner you can have the latest builds.

• @HerrMaulwurf said: As far as I know, you can control their environment in the config files.

I was thinking about version control. e.g., cPanel has tested against v. x.y.z of perl and a.b.c of apache, etc., and want that software environment for stability. Using alternate versions of perl, apache, php means stepping into the untested. Remember they have to support the product :)

But I'm only guessing and I could well be wrong.

• @sleddog said: Remember they have to support the product

And that is the real value of cPanel, the testing and compatibility and stability offered and world class support. It does have its quirks, and there is cheaper, but nothing can compete on the whole package offered.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Isn't directadmin doing the same? Compiling everything it needs and using tested versions?