Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH launches Germany Datacenter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH launches Germany Datacenter

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited July 2017 in Providers

Just received an E-Mail. New Datacenter in Germany, Limburg (close to Frankfurt).

Intel Xeon E3-1245v6 | 4 Cores 32 GB RAM | 2 x 450 GB NVMe or 2 x 2 TB

From 59.99 € /Mo

https://www.ovh.de/discover/deutschland.xml#xtor=ES-11-[discoveryDE]-20170407-[cta]

Comments

• Any ping test ip?

• Hm, quite expensive for Germany compared to Hetzner, etc. but somewhere in OVH's usual price range. Are there any information about peering in this new DC?

(It's kinda interesting they finished a DC for once XD)

• twiigltwiigl Member
    edited July 2017

@Edward_S said:
    Any ping test ip?

bluesega said: any information about peering in this new DC?

According to weathermap Limburg is directly connected to FRA-POP

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited July 2017

From my home connection to -

ovh_germany: 20ms

hetzner: 24ms

interwerk: 19ms

leaseweb_de: 19ms

accelerated: 17ms

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • bluesegabluesega Member
    edited July 2017

Pings towards that IP:

From my Switzerland VPS: 12,6ms

Hetzner: 6,03ms

Equinix FRA: 1,43ms

Tokyo (cNode): 238ms

Home (Swisscom): 26ms

Basically always going via DE-CIX, no other route yet.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2017

Personally don't see what's exciting about this one, when you can already order in SBG, which is 3ms from Frankfurt. And with much better lineup and better deals available (SoYouStart).

For comparison SBG test IP: sbg.proof.ovh.net

• hawkjohn7hawkjohn7 Member
    edited July 2017

from

online FR DC2: 9.8 ms

XL Indonesia : 324 ms

Leaseweb SG : 252 ms

• @rm_ said:
    Personally don't see what's exciting about this one, when you can already order in SBG, which is 3ms from Frankfurt. And with much better lineup and better deals available (SoYouStart).

For comparison SBG test IP: sbg.proof.ovh.net

They tend to advertise with "privacy" 'n stuff, but welp..it's Germany, kinda better than France but not a "too good" grab these days as well I guess.

This would be more interesting if other Locations in the country would be better reachable than through DC's connected to DE-CIX, like, peering in Nothern Germany, there it would have advantage over SBG, etc. but atm this isn't the case.

edited July 2017

bluesega said: They tend to advertise with "privacy" 'n stuff, but welp..it's Germany, kinda better than France but not a "too good" grab these days as well I guess.

Buying from an FR company in DE datacenter, you should assume to be vulnerable to both FR and DE authorities. (same with any other two countries)

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

bluesega said: They tend to advertise with "privacy" 'n stuff, but welp..it's Germany, kinda better than France but not a "too good" grab these days as well I guess.

Buying from an FR company in DE datacenter, you should assume to be vulnerable to both FR and DE authorities. (same with any other two countries)

Good thing that german customers and the datacenters in germany are under OVH GmbH.

Rhys said: Good thing that german customers and the datacenters in germany are under OVH GmbH.

You are fooling yourself if you think that's protecting from anything.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

Rhys said: Good thing that german customers and the datacenters in germany are under OVH GmbH.

You are fooling yourself if you think that's protecting from anything.

Thanked by 2Falzo webcraft
  • boerndboernd Member
    edited July 2017

@Rhys said:

@rm_ said:

Good thing that german customers and the datacenters in germany are under OVH GmbH.

German customers are under the OVH GmbH, but the DC is operated by the OVH SAS.

• DrMakDrMak Member

Any one can order additional ips in German Servers?? I got an error:

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@DrMak said:
    Any one can order additional ips in German Servers?? I got an error:

Email says they will be available in a bit (not at launch of offer). Guess a couple days

• WHTWHT Member

To much for germany, hetzer is still baba in de.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Hetzner does not have a DDoS protection system that is nearly as powerful or well tested as OVH's.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@CConner said:
    Hetzner does not have a DDoS protection system that is nearly as powerful or well tested as OVH's.

I wouldn't say that. not bragging about like Oles does, shouldn't be taken for it being less effective. luckily hetzner didn't attract that large attacks so far (or just did not tell about).

interesting development of course, will see what OVH has to offer from that location differently to their french once or different to their german competitors.

I like their public cloud range, if they start offering this in germany it may be something I am interested in ;-)

• k0nslk0nsl Member

Ping from SE:

--- 147.135.142.172 ping statistics ---
    20 packets transmitted, 20 received, 0% packet loss, time 19004ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 43.876/72.753/89.548/12.994 ms

That ping is pretty shaky tbf

• @CConner said:

Well if you want to have OVH DDoS protection you can buy a cheap Kimsufi and a Hetzner, set Kimsufi in front for initial connections and thereby use two DDoS protection systems and still save a lot of money.

edited July 2017

True..... but if you want to use realtime applications that require a low ping, like gameservers, that solution is not ideal.

• southysouthy Member

@bluesega said:

They tend to advertise with "privacy" 'n stuff, but welp..it's Germany, kinda better than France but not a "too good" grab these days as well I guess.

Which is a real serious point in fact (provided they have sorted out the legal side to have OVH FR and DE properly seperated, which I can not comment on).

BUT: then it would make a lot of sense to not (only) offer dedis, but e.g. their "hosted exchange" product.

Apparently there is money to be made in such services provided from german soil (if you can guarantee that you are not vulnerable to non-german laws).
    See e.g. the "Office 365 Deutschland" that MS offers - an Office 365 edition where they guarantee lhosting in germany and also guarantee that MS USA has no access to the data.

A "OVH Hosted Exchange made in Germany" product could be an interesting addition to the "larger" "MS Office 365 Deutschland" product for companies that just want email and not O365.

• YuraYura Member

@k0nsl said:
    Ping from SE:

20 packets

freaking

packets

• k0nslk0nsl Member

Do you need this too?

@Yura said:

@k0nsl said:
    Ping from SE:

20 packets

freaking

packets

• YuraYura Member

@k0nsl said:
    Do you need this too?

Stop doxxing me! That is confidential.

• 66ms from Portugal...

Goes via AMS > RBX > FRA

6     7 ms     8 ms     9 ms  195.8.30.249
      7    53 ms    54 ms    52 ms  ams1-cr1-te0-0-0.cprm.net [195.8.1.38]
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9    57 ms    56 ms    56 ms  be100-1048.rbx-g1-nc5.fr.eu [178.33.100.160]
     10    64 ms    64 ms    64 ms  be100-1046.fra-1-a9.de.eu [178.33.100.159]
     11    64 ms    64 ms    64 ms  vl1228-fra1-lmb1-d1-a75.de.eu [91.121.215.117]

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

20 ms from CZ. Was hoping for something a little better than that.

Pavin.

• NexusH798NexusH798 Member
    edited July 2017

does anyone have bandwidth issue from germany to UK?

• emreemre Member, LIR

I'd love a simple vps from this location/

Any hosts offering yet?