Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS/server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS/server?

2»

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

@willie - here are a bunch of Scaleway benchmarks.

https://wiki.x8e.net/doku.php?id=dedicated_benchmarks

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@willie said:

MikePT said: Run minio.io there, then upload with rclone (10 transfers), you'll see that it's not even enough for the checksums.

You mean Scaleway? Hmm that's interesting. I've used them for a while but haven't done anything that i/o intensive. I'll be interested to hear if you have better luck with other storage VPS.

I meant for Time4VPS, and hash checking, 10 files per second it's not really that much.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2017

MikePT said: 10 files per second it's not really that much.

I tried your ioping test on a Kimsufi KS-2E (Atom with 2TB disk, they were just on sale at 7 euro/m) and I got 238 iops iirc, if that's of any interest. Also tried on my $15/y Ramnode SSD vps and got about 15k iops. Caching might be involved.

IMO you are expecting a bit much from time4vps. I have a vps with them, am happy with it, but basically think of it as a remote tape drive. 10 simultaneous operations isn't on the menu.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • williewillie Member

Those are just cpu benchmarks, but it's interesting. They claim their network ssd supplies 2000 iops per 50gb. I haven't tested the claim.

@willie said:

MikePT said: 10 files per second it's not really that much.

I tried your ioping test on a Kimsufi KS-2E (Atom with 2TB disk, they were just on sale at 7 euro/m) and I got 238 iops iirc, if that's of any interest. Also tried on my $15/y Ramnode SSD vps and got about 15k iops. Caching might be involved.

IMO you are expecting a bit much from time4vps. I have a vps with them, am happy with it, but basically think of it as a remote tape drive. 10 simultaneous operations isn't on the menu.

Yeah, that's the normal result, 138 iops.
    11k / 15k iops, that's cache working.
    Usually, RAID 10 SSD nodes aren't even close to that, but 3.4/4k iops in fact, which is of course plenty, but that's definitely cache.

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited July 2017

@MikePT said:

But we definitely do not need a Dedicated Server for 73GB of EPS files.

To protect against "bit rot" you may want to use erasure codes (which take a lot of cpu) and spread the files into 3-4 Scaleway VPS.

@netpioneer said:

@MikePT said:

But we definitely do not need a Dedicated Server for 73GB of EPS files.

To protect against "bit rot" you may want to use erasure codes (which take a lot of cpu) and spread the files into 3-4 Scaleway VPS.

Bit rot? Never heard about it TBH. It's not needed, we're talking about 73GB that hopefully will be 1TB by the next year, just don't want to be switching servers all the time.
    Gosh this thread CAN definitely be closed. :P

• For that price you could get a yearly dropbox subscription at 100 euro for 1TB.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • bersybersy Member
    edited July 2017

4GB/800GB Xen €14.80/m or €129/yr https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=122

Thanked by 2Falzo MikePT
  • Closed on request.

Thanked by 1MikePT
This discussion has been closed.