Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reliable storage VPS or cloud storage service ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

reliable storage VPS or cloud storage service ?

qtwrkqtwrk Member
edited July 2017 in Help

Hi ,
I'm looking for a storage VPS or cloud storage service to backup my PC's files.

I need about 1 TB space.

for now , I have these 2 in mind; time4vps of storage VPS , and backblaze for cloud storage.
time4vps has 1 TB VPS on 3.99 (4.83 with VAT) EUR per month.
backblaze is 5 USD per month with unlimited.

I am trying that 15-days free trial , but its client is backing up all my PC's file , but I only need to back up some particular files.

could someone tell me some more alternatives ?

backblaze competitor ? cheaper/reliable storage VPS ?

or which one do you think is better ? my own VPS or some good cloud service ?

Comments

• i'm also looking for a storage vps

• Cloud storage and backup are different. Do you want to store files, or backup files?

• Cloud storage and backup are different. Do you want to store files, or backup files?

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@mikewazar said:
    Cloud storage and backup are different. Do you want to store files, or backup files?

store actually

• personally I prefer VPS option as you can install any software on the vps to use your data more efficiently .

Also you wont depend on special client software to mount your storage as you own the vps you can do the modification and install the software you need to mount your storage anywhere and any device you wish.

thats for me the main factor for going with vps rather than special made backup solution.

• It'd be better if backblaze had backup particular folder/file option and not entire disk.
    I created another partition to keep all important data and backup it.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited July 2017

@socheapvps said:
    personally I prefer VPS option as you can install any software on the vps to use your data more efficiently .

Also you wont depend on special client software to mount your storage as you own the vps you can do the modification and install the software you need to mount your storage anywhere and any device you wish.

thats for me the main factor for going with vps rather than special made backup solution.

On the other hand specialized backup solution will, most likely, have better performance. On VPS it is very likely that you will have to coexist with seedboxes and other similar things on the node, which may/will cause performance issues.

But with one thing i completely agree - i would not use any "cloud service" that only offers access using special software or even 3-rd party tools like rclone, since it is simply unreliable. scp/sftp or even ftp is fine though...

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

you might want to get a high storage vps/dedi and use this instead:
    https://www.urbackup.org/

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

I have been using backblaze for 5 days now, it baked up about 200 GB, still have about 700 GB waiting to be uploaded.

As this is occupying most of outgoing bandwidth, my homework is now unable to even play a online game...