Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best inhouse ddos protection? Covering all layers including layer 7 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best inhouse ddos protection? Covering all layers including layer 7

2»

Comments

• TinkuTinku Member

@akhfa said:

@Tinku said:

@Clouvider said:
    Your best bet on this budget is to do L7 locally on the server and hope that volumetric mitigation will handle it well enough that pure L7 won't kill your server.

Otherwise, contact Arbor for a quote but it will be expensive. Mainly as @William said already, terminating L7 on the appliance consumes lots of resources.

I was able to handle WordPress layer 7 attacks they were easy yo detect because of the user agents and same. Ip address but these botnet attacks come from thousands of different ip addresses and user agents. I guess i can't find a low end solution for this issue

Try to check some of the IP location of the attack. If they come from one country and it is not your apps target, you can block totally with iptables. I have website that will have high load and become not responsive if I don't block IP from rusia. It is fine to block russia IP because my website visitor target is south east asia. But I am not sure if it can stop your attack.

This actually worked for me but only when attacks are not that big otherwise when i block multiple asn and countries through csf ip tables the vps becomes unresponsive during attacks. East asian countries china and russia are the biggest trouble maker for me and there are millions of ip addresses blocking all of them through ip tables on a vps eats too micu resources.

• TinkuTinku Member

@Yura said:

@Tinku said:

123 Flash Chat it runs on java and gui is in flash and html. Website is in WordPress

That is some of the least efficient, most resource-hungry and outdated stack you could choose for a highly concurrent application like chat. And that flash must be working amazingly well on mobile also.

I will pray for you.

For mobile we got html client and for non flash users there is html client so flash isn't an issue.

• @Tinku said:

Oh i know that chat. I suggest you to put chat on separate ip and put a specific mitigation. The code is bad so you need to filter our any dirty packet os you get lot of packet loss/lag

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Just run a nginx test cookie page for the Layer 7 part of the flood and Voxility/OVH for the server as Layer 4 protection. The chances of you being flooded L7 wise by anybody that can bypass the cookie page is extremely rare, but if it did occur, I have a LUA and a Bash version of a script that bans IP's in IPTables if they break certain rules, request wise. Of course that'd only be the backup plan if the cookie page never worked.

Easy.

• Layer7 - If you use nginx +test cookie this will block all bots including good search engines like google. The best strategy is to droplingering connections as fast as possible and use nginx rate limiting for limiting simultaneous connections per IP to certain URLS like domain.com/search for example.

For high volume layer 4 attack you would need a good provider with hardware specific to combat this

• TinkuTinku Member

@HostSlick said:
    Just run a nginx test cookie page for the Layer 7 part of the flood and Voxility/OVH for the server as Layer 4 protection. The chances of you being flooded L7 wise by anybody that can bypass the cookie page is extremely rare, but if it did occur, I have a LUA and a Bash version of a script that bans IP's in IPTables if they break certain rules, request wise. Of course that'd only be the backup plan if the cookie page never worked.

Easy.

Care to share that script? I am afraid using cookie test page can block friendly crawlers like google.

• TinkuTinku Member

@gnusys01 said:
    Layer7 - If you use nginx +test cookie this will block all bots including good search engines like google. The best strategy is to droplingering connections as fast as possible and use nginx rate limiting for limiting simultaneous connections per IP to certain URLS like domain.com/search for example.

For high volume layer 4 attack you would need a good provider with hardware specific to combat this

dropping connections? like changing keepalive values?

• yeah

settings like
    client_header_timeout 10s;
    client_body_timeout 10s;

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

@Tinku said:

@HostSlick said:

Easy.

Care to share that script? I am afraid using cookie test page can block friendly crawlers like google.

Not giving it out, made it myself and for my customers, sorry.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

We can do Layer7, in fact one of the major motivation for our new Anycast based DDoS Protection was extending our Layer 7 capacity due to the rise in attacks and an increase in the cost of mitigation due to HTTPS propagation.

• TinkuTinku Member

still looking for one! anyone?

Anybody knows why voxility blocks asian ISPs when filtering traffic durign attacks?

• Blazingfast_IOBlazingfast_IO Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

@Tinku said:
    still looking for one! anyone?

Anybody knows why voxility blocks asian ISPs when filtering traffic durign attacks?

Hi there have a look at our services! It might be exactly what you are looking for we handle l4 and l7 really well and our prices are not that high compared to some other hosts.

• Tinku said: Anybody knows why voxility blocks asian ISPs when filtering traffic durign attacks?

The path this traffic comes in is expensive and does not allow upstream filtering most likely, so dropping is cheaper.

• Blazingfast_IO said: Hi there have a look at our services! It might be exactly what you are looking for we handle l4 and l7 really well and our prices are not that high compared to some other hosts.

Rules for selling on LowEndTalk

• @jvnadr said:

Blazingfast_IO said: Hi there have a look at our services! It might be exactly what you are looking for we handle l4 and l7 really well and our prices are not that high compared to some other hosts.

Rules for selling on LowEndTalk

Why does nobody also check the last post date... literally need a rule to stop grave digging threads.

• WSSWSS Member

At least this one was from this fucking year- and not quite two months old. It's the 2014 ones that annoy me.

• OVH is actually doing WAF + SSL termination now, but I think it's still considered 'beta' aka Sunrise section of the OVH manager - it's built on HAProxy

• @texteditor said:
    OVH is actually doing WAF + SSL termination now, but I think it's still considered 'beta' aka Sunrise section of the OVH manager - it's built on HAProxy

Care to share some screenshots? Would like to see it in action

• @Tinku said:

@texteditor said:
    OVH is actually doing WAF + SSL termination now, but I think it's still considered 'beta' aka Sunrise section of the OVH manager - it's built on HAProxy

• for layer 1 u can use the pottings

• @stefeman said:

@Tinku said:

@texteditor said:

Interesting will look into it thanks for sharing the screenshot!