Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Woldpay vs Stripe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Woldpay vs Stripe

We've been using Worldpay for just over 10 years and I'm starting to think about other options for card processing. Has anyone here moved from Worldpay to Stripe and if so, how did you find the transition and how are you finding the service?

Comments

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2017

We pay Worldpay roughly 0.5% and would pay Stripe 2.4% so it's a no-brainer for us. Worldpay also settle quicker, provide comprehensive invoices and have much better support. Am I missing something?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2017

jh said: We pay Worldpay roughly 0.5% and would pay Stripe 2.4% so it's a no-brainer for us. Worldpay also settle quicker, provide comprehensive invoices and have much better support. Am I missing something?

I do believe you get charged extra for taking international transactions, you did provided rate for debit cards not credit cards (as it's different!). anything extra add-ons Worldpay will charge extra, like payment filters, therefore I don't think you been honest with your 0.5% charge per transaction only.

example: Virtual Terminal is free by Stripe, £9.95 + VAT per month by Worldpay.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Never tried Worldpay but can totally vouch for Stripe. Also now you can you Stripe even if your country is not supported by them yet by connecting your Transferwise borderless account.

• edited June 2017

Stripe charges about the same as PayPal.

One thing I can point out from first hand experience is dealing with chargebacks. Stripe makes it as easy as possible to fight chargebacks. They give you a simple but functional form for copying/pasting documentation. I end up winning a lot of my chargebacks with them.

They also rate the risk of a charge but that looks very rudimentary for now. It's new so maybe it will improve.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2017

WebProject said: I do believe you get charged extra for taking international transactions, you did provided rate for debit cards not credit cards (as it's different!). anything extra add-ons Worldpay will charge extra, like payment filters, therefore I don't think you been honest with your 0.5% charge per transaction only.

Never asked about their fraud protection (apart from AVS, 3DS etc. which are free) but that rate includes credit cards, commercial cards, international cards etc. - basically everything except Amex. VT is free.

If you have a choice then PayPal, Stripe etc. are really bad choices.

• @jh said:

WebProject said: I do believe you get charged extra for taking international transactions, you did provided rate for debit cards not credit cards (as it's different!). anything extra add-ons Worldpay will charge extra, like payment filters, therefore I don't think you been honest with your 0.5% charge per transaction only.

Never asked about their fraud protection (apart from AVS, 3DS etc. which are free) but that rate includes credit cards, commercial cards, international cards etc. - basically everything except Amex. VT is free.

If you have a choice then PayPal, Stripe etc. are really bad choices.

Which is why almost everyone uses them. Because they are really bad choices?

• edited June 2017

@jh said:
    We pay Worldpay roughly 0.5% and would pay Stripe 2.4% so it's a no-brainer for us. Worldpay also settle quicker, provide comprehensive invoices and have much better support. Am I missing something?

You are trying to compare apples to oranges to suit your agenda. It is most definitely not 0.5% on credit card and you forgot about the monthly fee to get that debit card rate.

https://comparisons.financesonline.com/stripe-vs-worldpay

• AidanAidan Member

LosPollosHermanos said: You are trying to compare apples to oranges to suit your agenda.

Maybe he has an amazing volume agreement, though those 0.5% rates won't apply to the 99% of merchants.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

I have used their borderless accounts and in fact I just recived a payout from Stripe this week which worked without any issues. https://transferwise.com/help/topics/99/questions/2784317/what-type-of-payments-can-i-receive-into-my-borderless-account

• jhjh Member

LosPollosHermanos said: Which is why almost everyone uses them. Because they are really bad choices?

Everyone on LET - maybe. Not everyone. Fairly sure WorldPay is much larger than Stripe.

LosPollosHermanos said: You are trying to compare apples to oranges to suit your agenda. It is most definitely not 0.5% on credit card and you forgot about the monthly fee to get that debit card rate.

It most definitely is and that is all we pay.

Yes, not every business will get the rates we do. US companies can expect to pay more regardless of size. Companies in some countries won't be able to use WorldPay but might be able to use Stripe. I'm saying that, given the choice, Stripe vs WorldPay is a no-brainer. If the OP has been using WorldPay for 10 years then he would almost certainly pay much much more and sacrifice functionality and service to move to Stripe.

• edited June 2017

@jh said:
    Fairly sure WorldPay is much larger than Stripe.

Your argument sounds convincing. Let's spend 5 seconds googling it.

https://www.similartech.com/compare/stripe-vs-worldpay

247,841 websites (Stripe) vs 2573 websites (Worldpay)

"Stripe is leading in Top 10K Sites, Top 100K Sites, Top 1M Sites and The Entire Web."

"Stripe has better usage coverage in more websites categories. Including Business & Industry, Arts & Entertainment, Shopping, People & Society and 239 other categories."

"Worldpay hasn't got a lead over Stripe in any websites category."

"Worldpay hasn't got a lead over Stripe in any country."

• AidanAidan Member

WorldPay is far larger than stripe, no doubt about that. Though it seems that stripe is a better choice for the average SME.

• ksugksug Member
    edited June 2017

@LosPollosHermanos said:

I have no dog in the fight but whenever I try to Google A vs B and end up on one of those comparison sites, I would eventually find that half the info is garbage search engine bait and made up stuff. Nobody stands behind the claims and no references are provided.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2017

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@jh said:
    Fairly sure WorldPay is much larger than Stripe.

"Stripe is leading in Top 10K Sites, Top 100K Sites, Top 1M Sites and The Entire Web."

"Stripe has better usage coverage in more websites categories. Including Business & Industry, Arts & Entertainment, Shopping, People & Society and 239 other categories."

"Worldpay hasn't got a lead over Stripe in any websites category."

"Worldpay hasn't got a lead over Stripe in any country."

2573 websites is almost certainly wrong. I was taking about volume though (number of websites is meaningless) - the Stripe merchants are probably much smaller on average, don't have physical premises etc. Also I believe WorldPay is traded on the London Stock Exchange, listed on the FTSE100 and turned over $6 billion last year.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Aidan said:

LosPollosHermanos said: You are trying to compare apples to oranges to suit your agenda.

Maybe he has an amazing volume agreement, though those 0.5% rates won't apply to the 99% of merchants.

True, depends on type of business and volume of transactions. Last time I had a quote from WorldPay it was 3.2% + £0.20p per transaction (for debit cards % cheaper) + £20 per month and any add-ons it will be extra.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @ksug said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

I have no dog in the fight but whenever I try to Google A vs B and end up on one of those comparison sites, I would eventually find that half the info is garbage search engine bait and made up stuff. Nobody stands behind the claims and no references are provided.

Then post better info.

• edited June 2017

x

• hzrhzr Member

LosPollosHermanos said: Your argument sounds convincing. Let's spend 5 seconds googling it.

FYI: worldpay is significantly larger by multiple orders of magnitude in just about every category.

Stripe loads stripe.com JS code on sites and makes it very obvious. Worldpay does not. You can use Worldpay without ever exposing the fact that you use them, and that's how most people use it (or with hosted pages).

• @jh said:

Also I believe WorldPay is traded on the London Stock Exchange, listed on the FTSE100 and turned over $6 billion last year.

Which means nothing. Anyways, have fun with your apples and oranges game.

• edited June 2017

@hzr said:
    Stripe loads stripe.com JS code on sites and makes it very obvious. Worldpay does not. You can use Worldpay without ever exposing the fact that you use them, and that's how most people use it (or with hosted pages).

So? The two are apples and oranges. Stripe is most relevant to what this website is about. There are some people here trying to say it's the be all to end all and don't seem to understand the difference.

I don't know what part of

You don't understand

• ksugksug Member
    edited June 2017

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@ksug said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Then post better info.

No info is better than bad info.