Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Litespeed on cPanel/WHM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Litespeed on cPanel/WHM?

jakejake Member

I've always been a fan of Litespeed. Plays well with htaccess and does everything Apache would of done, but much faster.

Has anyone gotten Open Litespeed working on a cPanel/WHM server yet? I know with the paid version they had a WHM plugin where you could press a few buttons to get your server switched to Litespeed, but Open Litespeed does not have control panel functionality.

Trying to debate what web server to use on my new VPS... definitely not Apache though! If Open Litespeed works on cPanel/WHM (even without a panel), I'd love to give it a shot. :) Thanks for any suggestions/pointers/feedback.

Comments

• Howdy,

(Disclaimer: I work for LiteSpeed.)

Yeah, OpenLiteSpeed doesn't work with control panels. I'm not sure anyone's going to have OpenLiteSpeed working on cPanel any time soon, though I could definitely be wrong. Not sure what you meant by "(even without a panel)", though.

OpenLiteSpeed does still work with Apache rewrite rules, you just have to copy them from your .htaccess files into your virtual host configs. (And you have to make sure the locations are written correctly for virtual host configs. Usually just a matter of adding "/" to the beginning of the locations.)

We're definitely interested in answering any questions you've got.

Cheers,

Michael

• Your best option its going to install nginx as a frontend proxy (nginxcp)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

@lsmichael said:
    Not sure what you meant by "(even without a panel)", though.

Pretty sure he's referring to your so-called WebAdmin.

Where is the $7 license for lowend community? :P

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@thekreek said:
    Your best option its going to install nginx as a frontend proxy (nginxcp)

ApacheBooster is a better option in my opinion as it has Nginx + Varnish and a ton of configs

• @DalComp said:
    Where is the $7 license for lowend community? :P

The $7 license has been marked down to $0. It's called OpenLiteSpeed. Seriously, though, are you running shared hosting from your low end box? Or do you want Enterprise to just smooth over the copying of rewrite rules and whatnot? OpenLiteSpeed is pretty much as efficient as Enterprise.

• @MonsteR said:
    ApacheBooster is a better option in my opinion as it has Nginx + Varnish and a ton of configs

How stable is ApacheBooster? We've never tried anything with it, but WHT people seemed to suggest it was unstable and wasn't getting updated any more...

• @lsmichael said:
    How stable is ApacheBooster? We've never tried anything with it, but WHT people seemed to suggest it was unstable and wasn't getting updated any more...

No idea on stability etc . . . but it does seem to still be active.

http://www.prajith.in/

• Haha...

• I can't tell if DalComp is laughing at me or with me. I'm thinking with me...

• Sorry, I was just joking with with the $7 license above. :)

I don't sell shared services from my LEB, but I do use panels (cPanel, kloxo, others) on few of them for easier management or just experiments.

• jakejake Member

@lsmichael said:
    Howdy,

(Disclaimer: I work for LiteSpeed.)

Yeah, OpenLiteSpeed doesn't work with control panels. I'm not sure anyone's going to have OpenLiteSpeed working on cPanel any time soon, though I could definitely be wrong. Not sure what you meant by "(even without a panel)", though.

OpenLiteSpeed does still work with Apache rewrite rules, you just have to copy them from your .htaccess files into your virtual host configs. (And you have to make sure the locations are written correctly for virtual host configs. Usually just a matter of adding "/" to the beginning of the locations.)

Cheers,

Michael

May I suggest @mpkossen to write a tutorial article on how to do this on the homepage of LEB? :D

• @lsmichael said:

Sorry for the late response, Its pretty stable the only bad point I seen was that you could set the IP Headers from cloudflare, but I mentioned it to him on skype and i believe he added it in the next update.

• @jake said:
    May I suggest mpkossen to write a tutorial article on how to do this on the homepage of LEB? :D

I promise I will write a tutorial for this just as soon as I finish a couple other of our tutorials!

(And a little after that I will try to write a guide for including your .htaccess files with an include in your config file. Which we don't recommend and I'm sure will break someone's setup, but it feels like people want to try it.)

• @DalComp said:
    Sorry, I was just joking with with the $7 license above. :)

I don't sell shared services from my LEB, but I do use panels (cPanel, kloxo, others) on few of them for easier management or just experiments.

How low end is your low end box? How much memory do these VPSs have? I'm talking off the top of my head now, but it's not inconceivable for us to create an even more limited version of the VPS license (which limits users to 2GB of memory)... This is just forum talk now, though.