Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel E3v3 Haswell Processors
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel E3v3 Haswell Processors

jakejake Member

So, I ordered a new VPS today and it looks like its on a shiny new E3-1240v3 processor! Just wondering, has anyone noticed any performance increase/difference between the E3v2's and E3v3's? Or even the good old Sandybridge's, how much real world performance do we really gain?

I've yet to run benchmarks as I don't think I have an E3v2 VPS to compare to, but I'll have to look in my idle VPS list :P

Comments

• increase of 5% vs V2.

• fapvpsfapvps Member

Ivy Bridge is little more then a die shrink of Sandy Bridge so the performance gain over Sandy was barely is at all noticeable. The Haswell are a real upgrade and should show some noticeable speed boosts in some areas.

• They can only take the E3s so far, and I think they have about hit their limit

• fapvpsfapvps Member

@Spencer said:
    They can only take the E3s so far, and I think they have about hit their limit

E3 is just a name. The V1 and the V3 are very different, it is like comparing Pentium 1 to Pentium 2.

• jakejake Member

Is it really that much of a performance increase compared to the original E3 Sandybridge's? I'm impressed.

• rds100rds100 Member

No, it shouldn't be that much of a performance increase. But of course you should benchmark it to make sure.

• @fapvps said:
    Ivy Bridge is little more then a die shrink of Sandy Bridge so the performance gain over Sandy was barely is at all noticeable. The Haswell are a real upgrade and should show some noticeable speed boosts in some areas.

Sadly it didn't work out this way. Ivy Bridge was more of an upgrade compared to Haswell for servers.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

One thing is for sure, the v3 SuperMicro motherboards have been challenging to get in quantities. They've been on back order for weeks and at first we had to purchase boards on the retail market to fill some orders.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:
    Sadly it didn't work out this way. Ivy Bridge was more of an upgrade compared to Haswell for servers.

Agreed

• A marginal speed increase along with a marginal decrease in power usage. Not a big change.

E3's have their place, but an E5 can give you access to a lot more RAM.