Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Special offers launched!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Special offers launched!

15th Anniversary

15% off certain servers:

http://www.netcup-sonderangebote.de/

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

I feel scammed even just by reading this thread. Promised "Special offers", but see only stinking 15% off.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Falzo smth for you perhaps?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

Also didn't they just increase prices?
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/117670/netcup-price-increase
    to compensate for this "15% off"?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@rm_ said:
    Also didn't they just increase prices?
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/117670/netcup-price-increase
    to compensate for this "15% off"?

Prices have been "increased" since a longer timespan already which op might just have not noticed. Anyway netcup is a premium provider imho so the prices are more than fair.

• Timtimo13Timtimo13 Member
    edited June 2017

I think 1.80€/y for a .de domain is a pretty good deal, if a de domain is needed...

• chrispchrisp Member

@Timtimo13 said:
    I think 1.80€/y for a .de domain is a pretty good deal, if a de domain is needed...

And it's recurring unlike many other good domain offers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • nice how they still name it 4x N SSD/SAS but its just standard raid 10 space

• @Butters said:
    nice how they still name it 4x N SSD/SAS but its just standard raid 10 space

Yup, I'd call it "marketing" but they are saying "Hardware RAID 10" even in the
    overview.

But as I said, much more intested in that domain deal, as it's recurring with 15ct per month (1.80€ y)

• What is root server is it kvm or dedicated?

edited June 2017

@robohost said:
    What is root server is it kvm or dedicated?

They are selling KVM machines as root servers. This name of a
    product seems to be mainly used in Germany.

For example:
    They are offering their "Root-Server 4000" with a Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 with 8 dedicated cores.
    Then take a look in Intel ARK and you will see, that this Xeon processor is a 14 core / 18 thread CPU.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2017

@robohost said:
    What is root server is it kvm or dedicated?

Both are KVM but root has dedicated cpu and optional ssd along with higher sla
    https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vergleich-root-server-vps.php

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

Down side with these offer is that comes with 6 or 12 months contract

edited June 2017

@qtwrk said:
    Down side with these offer is that comes with 6 or 12 months contract

don't forget the 6 month billing cycle

• FalzoFalzo Member

@rm_ said:
    I feel scammed even just by reading this thread. Promised "Special offers", but see only stinking 15% off.

it's just the way they do their 'normal' promotions. 10 - 20% off of one or both of their product lines like their spring offer or now because of whatever else reason ;-)

they very rarely do 'real' special offers like the christmas root server last year...
    worth mentioning that the actual 'special offers' are all 12 month contract term, so look closely before ordering...

Ympker said: Anyway netcup is a premium provider imho so the prices are more than fair.

second that, so far have been very satisfied, but that's from a german point of view - maybe just more used to the kind of marketing they are doing with all that...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

I feel you need to re-read the definition of scam.

1% is still a special offer.

Thanked by 1sarah
  • They keep the old offers running, so you find good deals if you search hard enough e.g. compare current offer of RS 1000 G7SE 15 years vs old offer of RS 1000 SAS G7SEa1 12M while RS 1000 SAS G7SEa3 iv is priced higher without offer. Not sure if there are any hardware differences, but the specs are exactly the same.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@advarisk said:
    They keep the old offers running, so you find good deals if you search hard enough e.g. compare current offer of RS 1000 G7SE 15 years vs old offer of RS 1000 SAS G7SEa1 12M while RS 1000 SAS G7SEa3 iv is priced higher without offer. Not sure if there are any hardware differences, but the specs are exactly the same.

always look at the length of contract term, because this gives different pricing too, if available (that last one at 9.9 was a monthly while the others are yearly).

but there are most probably no hardware differences at all. those are simply old order URLs still working. as far as I know netcup is fully aware of that and you can simply order from it, if it shows stock.

for the actual offer the root servers are a few cent cheaper than the old a1 order links, the vservers are still a few cents more (see my sig ;-)).

• @chrisp said:

@Timtimo13 said:

They don't offer whois privacy, do they? I can't seem to find any mention of that in the offer.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@andreipoe said:

@chrisp said:

@Timtimo13 said:

They don't offer whois privacy, do they? I can't seem to find any mention of that in the offer.

no they don't. also .de domains aren't supposed to offer whois privacy at all...

Thanked by 1andreipoe
  • Falzo said: no they don't. also .de domains aren't supposed to offer whois privacy at all...

No, you can have protection fine on .DE - you are just not the legal owner then.

The primary issue for foreigners is that most companies set the owner as Tech-C and the Tech-C is required to be inside Germany (if still the case, doubt it changed).

• @William said:

Falzo said: no they don't. also .de domains aren't supposed to offer whois privacy at all...

No, you can have protection fine on .DE - you are just not the legal owner then.

The primary issue for foreigners is that most companies set the owner as Tech-C and the Tech-C is required to be inside Germany (if still the case, doubt it changed).

wint.global does it.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2017

@William said:

Falzo said: no they don't. also .de domains aren't supposed to offer whois privacy at all...

Didn't say it's not possible, but the rules of DENIC obviously weren't made for whois privacy. :)

It is esp. the Admin-C for .de domains which is required to be a person (not company) inside Germany, quoting DENICs FAQ:

It is possible for individuals or institutions (that have legal capacity) not located in Germany to register .de domains. There is, however, a condition, namely that they must appoint an administrative contact who is resident in Germany and who has a postal address at which it is possible to serve documents (i.e. not a mere P.O. box). The administrative contact is then also the person formally authorized by the domain holder to receive service of official or court documents...

So for achieving something like whois privacy here you'd need a company with a representative or a person in germany allowed to represent you in terms of those official or court documents.

I doubt most providers are willing to offer this for their customers, but again not saying impossible ;-)

PS: ofc failure in providing a correct admin-c may highly increase risk of loosing a domainname over a dispute. Prooving that normal mail returns because a recepient don't exists isn't hard to achieve.