Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation power consumption question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation power consumption question

Hello,

I wanted to ask regarding colocation power requirments since a lot of you here actually colocate equipment somewhere.

So I got a DL360 G6 -1 U with 2 X L5630 - 32GB of Ram - 2 X psu 460Watt each and no HDDs yet.

Now I know that the server is not going to be consuming the 460watts of the psu or maybe not even close.
Just wanted an estimate of the usage for this kind of machine with lets say 4 HDDs

Server load matters I guess but this won't have almost any load at all.

I know I am being generic here but I really just want an estimate.
I got a colocation offer from a local provider in Greece and trying to figure out if it is actually good for me.

The offer is 100Watts included and 0,21€/kWh extra

Thanks in advance

George

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Those machines are heavy in terms of power use, likely going to be just under 1 amp.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

Ishaq said: Those machines are heavy in terms of power use

Not with L5630 CPUs.

Ishaq said: likely going to be just under 1 amp.

Not with L5630 CPUs.

TH_George said: Server load matters I guess but this won't have almost any load at all.

I have a similar config with pretty low load, it draws according to ILO around 100W zero load and 120W some load. Around 150W full load.

RAM sticks do consume power, so try to get your 32GB into fewest amount you can.

TH_George said: The offer is 100Watts included and 0,21€/kWh extra

For Greece pretty good, assuming the initial colo is not like 100EUR already with 100W.

Someone like Adplus or OTE direct?

• @William said:

TH_George said: The offer is 100Watts included and 0,21€/kWh extra

For Greece pretty good, assuming the initial colo is not like 100EUR already with 100W.

Someone like Adplus or OTE direct?

Price is 50€ + VAT for 1U/100W
    The company is Synapsecom with 2 DCs (Athens & Thessaloniki)

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

On our colocation contracts with the providers we by Amps, not Wats, so it depend on the voltage that they offer

• Voltage is either 220V or 230V not sure which is it.

• TH_George said: Price is 50€ + VAT for 1U/100W The company is Synapsecom with 2 DCs (Athens & Thessaloniki)

That is pretty damn cheap for Greece, what does traffic cost?

Mind asking them for BGP or IP announce availability for me?

• @William said:
    Mind asking them for BGP or IP announce availability for me?

Will do tomorrow and let you know via PM.

Despite that, according to your experience the server I wrote about above, should be fine in that package ?

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@TH_George said:
    Voltage is either 220V or 230V not sure which is it.

when you buy 1 amp @ 220 V you are buying 220W
    the same amp on 110V it is 110W

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

William said: Ishaq said: Those machines are heavy in terms of power use

Not with L5630 CPUs.

Not with L5630 CPUs.

I have a couple of Dual L5520s and they draw about 0.7-0.8amps @ 220v when pretty much idle.

I suppose it also matters what kind of PSU you have. An inefficient PSU can mean 2-3x more power draw than an efficient one.

Even an 80Plus PSU is only rated 80% + efficient above a certain load (20-90%). If the server has Dual PSUs rated at 480watts, even if they are 80Plus, they would only be efficient if usage was around 200+ watts.

I don't know about the L5630 specifically, but for Dual L5520 with 80Plus efficient PSUs, I would easily expect the power consumption to be a touch under 1amp at practically idle. If the PSUs are not efficient, then easily it can be 2amps... easily.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

randvegeta said: I have a couple of Dual L5520s and they draw about 0.7-0.8amps @ 220v when pretty much idle.

Not comparable.

L5520 is 45nm with 60W TDP - L5630 is 32nm with 40W TDP. Both the structure size and the generally lower TDP do cause power savings.

x5xx is also more heavy on the chipset, driving up consumption there. Depending on server you also have not one but TWO 5520 chipsets which each draw a LOT of power in that case and drive also up the QPI usage.

Most SM boards with more than 3 x16 electrical slots have this config, eg. the X8DTH-x

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTH-iF.cfm

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

randvegeta said: Even an 80Plus PSU is only rated 80% + efficient above a certain load (20-90%). If the server has Dual PSUs rated at 480watts, even if they are 80Plus, they would only be efficient if usage was around 200+ watts.

On SM maybe, HP PSUs are in same series nearly always the same - the recent Gen9 servers still use the same PSU as the G6 and they are interchangeable (which is nice for stock management) - the 460W ones are rated 88%+ and keep 88% on all tested ranges (20, 50 and 100%). This is "Gold" certification basically, newer ones have "Platinum".

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111541.pdf?ver=2

Table:

His server will draw at least 25% of one of them (single side UPS) and zero on other or ~15% on each (balanced), so should be within 85%+ range always.

William said: His server will draw at least 25% of one of them (single side UPS) and zero on other or ~15% on each (balanced), so should be within 85%+ range always.

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with the specs of the OP's server :-) but given the Gold level certification and low TDP on the CPUs, I can believe the power consumption to be more modest than the Dual L5520. The ones I have are those Dell C1100 peices of crap. Customer insisted on them. Complete waste of money.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@William said:

Ishaq said: Those machines are heavy in terms of power use

Not with L5630 CPUs.

Not with L5630 CPUs.

TH_George said: Server load matters I guess but this won't have almost any load at all.

I have a similar config with pretty low load, it draws according to ILO around 100W zero load and 120W some load. Around 150W full load.

RAM sticks do consume power, so try to get your 32GB into fewest amount you can.

Fully agree.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

We're observing even lower values than what @William mentioned. And to be exact - hp se316m1, dual PSU, single PSU connected we observe around 62-63W on IDLE and peak power on 100% power usage at 130-132W with dual l5630 and 8GB of RAM. According to our last measurement.
    @TH_George - if you're okey with shipping the hardware to Bulgaria, I can offer you 100W + 1U at 35EUR.

Wow that's very good. Dual CPU? 62 watts is kind of similar level to an E3 server.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

TH_George said: Despite that, according to your experience the server I wrote about above, should be fine in that package ?

Yes, if you do not load it fully CPU wise and the RAM is not 16 2GB sticks.

AlexBarakov said: We're observing even lower values than what @William mentioned. And to be exact - hp se316m1, dual PSU, single PSU connected we observe around 62-63W on IDLE and peak power on 100% power usage at 130-132W with dual l5630 and 8GB of RAM. According to our last measurement.

Is that 8GB as one/two modules?

I usually calculate 5W per DIMM, my box has a lot more RAM so that seems to make sense:

root@sigkill-prx :: ~# dmidecode| grep "8192 MB"| wc -l

60W with 1 or 2 DIMMs in your case + (8*5) are exactly 100W and loaded i get 20W more than you to ~150W then.

I never tried if 1066/1333 actually makes any difference but doubt it - In theory modules with less chips (so higher density) should use less power overall in trade for more heat at less points but difference probably negligible also there.

This server has i think 4 73GB SAS drives but they are 99% idle so power consumption should be near zero, maybe 10W average.

EDIT: Also i have a Chelsio 10G card, fairly sure that uses 10-15W, but in trade do not use onboard ethernet aside of ILO which should cut that to half.

Overall 5W difference per DIMM seems reasonable and as expected old Nehalem-EP CPUs use a lot more power - if i understood the QPI system correctly this also makes sense, the lower speed requires overall higher QPI usage in total.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    We're observing even lower values than what @William mentioned. And to be exact - hp se316m1, dual PSU, single PSU connected we observe around 62-63W on IDLE and peak power on 100% power usage at 130-132W with dual l5630 and 8GB of RAM. According to our last measurement.
    @TH_George - if you're okey with shipping the hardware to Bulgaria, I can offer you 100W + 1U at 35EUR.

You got a PM

• Some annotations:

DL360 (SE316M1/SE1120 is a DL360 in OEM config with other ILO and some changes - beware, other PSU layout is one), DL380 and DL180 (partly also ML350) are essentially the same machines both in G6 and G7, Intel 5520 based 1366/Socket B primarily Intel reference designs.

The G6 to G7 stepup is a BIOS update and the DL360 G6 will not eat a X5690 for whatever unknown reason, the G7 has other chipset coolers and a different CPU phase design (these are again Intel reference fixes, the SE might had it actually at G6 already later). Not aware of any other relevant changes outside of the case changed minorly (bending fix) and other cable routing.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@William - I can't really remember what we were testing exactly in terms of RAM, just pulled the number from some notes. Either 2x4 or 1x8, def not smaller so +/- 5W . It was tested with an SSD, so power consumption there was minimum. Though, there might have been a p410 in it, which would probably up the overall consumption.

Alex

• AlexBarakov said: Though, there might have been a p410 in it, which would probably up the overall consumption.

Should not; the DL360 comes always with a P410i (or rather i have never seen one without) so my 'normal' one should use a bit more than yours without, with it should be near parity.

The dual PSUs of yours are entirely different design (they resemble supermicro more than HP, in look and inside) plus older so you probably loose a few % there but also negligible.

All in all i love G6/G7 still - in dual L5630 config you get essentially the performance of an i7 with WAY more RAM & ECC and you can up to X5698 (dual)/X5687 (quad)/X5690 (six) with whooping 130W TDP ea, versatile little things :)