Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best HDD image software that let me recover files/folders without restoring the whole image
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best HDD image software that let me recover files/folders without restoring the whole image

I want a software that I can use to take backup/image of whole disks via my network (internal is OK) and then on the server/computer that I use to store the image file, I need the option to run the software so I can access the images files, and recover files and folders, without having to restore the full image.

I plan to run Windows on the server/workstation (I think maybe a Workstation with Win10, since lots of software has really expensive Server options) so please only Windows software.

I'm pretty sure I used Acronis for this "back in the day" but don't know if they offer this anymore?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Acronis do this, man

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @netomx said:
    Acronis do this, man

Is it windows only?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

Windows (>8) can do that natively.

Either from the command line, or with a GUI (e.g. disk2vhd by Microsoft/Sysinternals)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Might not be the best but it does what you are asking for.
    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

The way I want to use it, are to use a USB stick there I can boot from, and take a image of the disk on to a local workstation.
    Then use the local workstation to pull out files/folders when I need to.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@netomx said:
    Acronis do this, man

^ this.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

@netomx @Clouvider - thank you. Got a new license for Acronis, made a WinPE USB stick, used FTP server on the workstation (don't know why network storage was not available, just FTP or NAS) backup the device, and I could edit the image, copying out files and folders on the workstation.
    Just what I wanted.

Thanked by 2Clouvider netomx
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Veeam might still offer their Veeam backup explorer that will take backups of physical computers while they are running.

• Ghost

• myhkenmyhken Member

@yokowasis said:
    Ghost

Yea, used Ghost back around 1998-2004, not used them since that. Are they still good?

• I don't know about the current version. Never use it. I am using good old 1998-2004 ghost32 and ghost64 for imaging my system. It works out of the box on windows recovery environment.

@myhken said:

@yokowasis said:
    Ghost

Yea, used Ghost back around 1998-2004, not used them since that. Are they still good?

• myhkenmyhken Member

My boss is actually calling this new worksation our "Ghost server", but it's actually not a server and it's not using Ghost...:D :D